Alright guys I was doing some spring cleaning. I live in a white family that cant cook at all (Electric stove...

Alright guys I was doing some spring cleaning. I live in a white family that cant cook at all (Electric stove, the grill pictured).

The point of the thread is that I want to use a grill this summer, but I have no money and all we have is what I am posting here. My white family's busted old propane shit tier grill. I just want to know if I can save it or if I should just throw it out. If it is savable PLEASE give me some instructions, online offers help for low grade cleaning while I think this is a disaster.

I came with three images, the outside ones are bad but not as bad as what waits inside.

>live in a white family

There's your problem

And the real gore. I dont think its ever been cleaned. And has sat outside for many winters.

Uh yea, Im white too but Im learning to cook. Break the cycle man.

Doesn't look too bad as long as it still works

Are you sure? I mean those plates are supposed to be completely clean right? Do i just take a steel brush to it and an hour of hard work and bust that shit off of everything?

If you can dissasemble it, soaking for a few hours/a day in ammonia may help clean off the burned on gunk. You'll still need steel wool or sandpaper to get the rust off.

If it can fire up, you're in pretty good shape.
Those plates don't have to be clean. The point of the plates is grease hits them and burns up, creating a bit of smoke. Eventually they rust out and you have to replace them.

Oh I understand, I can get some ammonia and dismantle it and have a go at it. I thought it was in much worse shape than that!
It still fires so I guess everything will be okay.

Heat it up, then oil up the grates. Use a bunch of paper towels and vegetable oil. Also, use an oven mitt so you don't burn the shit out of your hand.

I do that after cleaning right, like seasoning a pan?

The thing is you don't want rust touching your food. I have a stainless propane grill so the shell will be in good shape forever, but I've had to replace the burners and grates. They finally built up enough rust where I couldn't remove it no matter how I scrubbed. I put them in a self cleaning oven and that didn't help. Finally I threw them in a bonfire we built and they warped bad enough I had to buy new ones. New grates are more expensive than a brand new one of your piece of shit grill, so if you can't get the rust off, just buy a charcoal kettle like Weber or knockoff.

Oh thats good info too, I would want charcoal personally

Propane really is the best thing to cook anything with other then apple wood, cuz that shit dank!

no just buy new heat plates. they're like $10 dude

Thanks guys Ill do a really good scrub of the grill itself and then replace the heat plates!

those kind of grates always rust. You're better off getting a summer job and getting grillgrates. don't throw that grate away though, just put a small amount of grillgrates on top of it.

and if the shit doesnt work.

take the propane shit out and put charcoal in the bottom

You'll have to create some sort of venting inlet too so you can control draft. Not difficult, but necessary.

Hell, do this even if the propane does work.
just turn that piece of metal covering the flames over. and set it on the burner and forget it was ever propane. buy lump charcoal and grill like a grill god

I do want charcoal Ill be getting that later in life. Beggers can be choosers when its bad!

And Ive never heard of this before, it seems pretty bad

>And Ive never heard of this before, it seems pretty bad
they are pretty much necessary for grilling on gas.

Looks alright, take a paint scrapper to the grills with some oven cleaner and then burn it off really good. Maybe even put some canola oil on the grills after to season them, they could be cheap cast iron.

>canola oil on the grills after to season them
they won't stay seasoned. cast iron/enameled cast iron grates are worthless. The hot grill burns off the seasoning.

>there's your problem

what? the fact that they don't want to squat over a primitive hole in the ground where they smoke their meat whilst cooking rice in a coconut?

>muh based cooking methods from Somalia!

If it fires up you're good to go. Totally take the advice of the other anons and clean the grates thoroughly. Might be worth seeing if the heat deflectors are salvageable so give that a scrub too.

I prefer charcoal but propane is a hell of a lot more convenient. Look into some of the Weber kettle grills when you have the money saved up, and for fucks sake be sure to get a grill cover. It really helps protect them from the elements.