What the fuck Veeky Forums? Why do spiders know how to make webs? Why do animals know shit from the moment they're born...

What the fuck Veeky Forums? Why do spiders know how to make webs? Why do animals know shit from the moment they're born? How long until we find out how inborn knowledge works and make babies who know math?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Sdqg-jn_tBk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

We have inborn knowledge, when you see a stick on the ground, probably your first instinct is to grab it
Any other animal just wouldn't, they would walk by it without even pay attention, but not humans. It's a basic instinct of humans to manipulate and create tools, inborn knowledge is so subtle that no one really notices it.

I'm not arguing that we don't, just wondering how much research has been put into this.

Let's make an assumption that learning a new skill or a behavior = making certain synaptic connections in the central nervous system.

Natural selection favors those individuals or populations that learn a skill faster than others, as new skill -> increased chance to survive -> more offspring. Selection favors those that can make those certain synaptic connections at a younger age.

Eventually individuals that have those synaptic connections "hard-wired" will have the most advantage, as they don't need to spend time and resources to learn that skill. All they need is a key stimulus to launch that certain behavior.

In order to make math genius babies there should be selection for math skills. Let only the talented ones make more babies.

Very interesting question. I recently captured a Black Widow and I've been observing her. The level of complexity in her behavior is impressive, people give little credit to this wonderful creatures.

they are born with a wide spectrum of natural instincts

Spiders know how to do that because they already know math. It's just expressed instinctively. All we did was formalize it.

Crows grab sticks and even use them as tools

Same reason they know how to make themselves wind catchers out spiderweb and use them to travel many miles when caught in a draft. In other words, we don't know nuffin.

Is a form of internalized math in Humans our aesthetic appreciation for things? You know, like finding Aerodynamically viable things such as Fighter jets inherently beautiful?

Fucking headsqueeze at birth makes us useless, pathetic, weak and anoying.

>finding fighter jets inherently beautiful
that's beauOOtiful maan

but yeah, i think that a lot of what we do depends on "unconscious math'" just as it does for spiders

babies instinctively hold their breath underwater

Wow

Who told them to do that?

i think its like the first web was a very fundamental version of what we see now. imagine a single line of silk.

probably not very effective

but now there's this mutated spider that does two lines

probably a little more effective for the survival of the spider

and so on.. till only the spiders that make the best webs are surviving.

this is an extreamly retarded and attenuated version of what might have happened and i would love to read about the first web creating creatures that eventually evolved to the spiders we know today.

or maybe the web originally was just for holding eggs and spiders that had more offspring made better webs, and then the webs started catching pray, helping those spiders survive

i have no idea and am scared of spiders so will never know

Are you implying that insects such as spiders were passing skills from generation to generation until it became hard-wired?

Why are we scared of spiders? Richard Dawkins said it's a form of imprinting, where when we are very young, we see adults being scared of them, and that teaches us to avoif them. But somehow I don't think that's it.

Yeah there was definitely no passing of knowledge. How would they do it anyway? They have no language or writing. Or do they... ?

Dunno man If scientists that do this daily can't figure it out and nowadays they even instantly communicate with each other or have access to scientific publications from other fields and still can't figure it out - our only hope to fully understand evolution is to have a mechanical intelligence such as a huge computer to compute solutions day and night until it figures this out.

I think it has something to do with the way they move but conditioning is another hypothesis

>maybe we were selected to find anything that moves like an insect unappealing because many bugs can bite, sting, suck blood, spread disease etc

Agreed. Every day I hear of science (the stamp-collecting variety that might one day explain this sort of thing) being "automated away". Let's just hope that when this machine comes online we become part of it and don't become its pet.

Obviously it's because they can harm us. But why/how do we know this as infants?

>They have no language or writing. Or do they... ?
They do haven't you ever seen/read Charlotte's Web?

like I said we could've be selected for this behavior (ie. the people who don't instinctively demonstrate this behavior all died out)

Oh yeah. I missed the 'maybe we were selected for this' part. I agree. I think that's what happened

9 months of womb training did.

That was funny and you deserve a reaction

babies don't know how to breathe until they take their first breath, in utero they get their oxygen from the mother

IS THAT WHY THEY SLAP EM

no
the "inborn skills" are from other parts f the brain, not the neuroplasticity part. They're no different to instincts/emotions.

You would have to add a new component to the brain, that the rest can call upon to instinctively glide through Mathematics.

No they slap them to make them burp. Never have babies, you idort

Same way animals know to avoid brightly colored frogs

In the future, we will be adding all kinds of components to the brain. Most linked via the internet, so you don't have to lug them around. You read it here first!

>I think it has something to do with the way they move
i was literally just about to say this.

They're hard to track when they are moving fast

They are hard to see when they aren't moving

They can change direction very quickly

It's just unnerving and often you get really close to one before you even realize it.

Kind of like snakes for some people and bees for pussys

>Same way
And what way might that be, which was the original question?

>pussys
>ys
I don't think you know the answer

You don't slap a baby to make it burp, you pat it.

I was alluding more to the distinctive crawling motion of small arthropods

personally I fucking hate flies but they clean up the ecosystem

I don't know

Oooh! That's why they keep dying!

People will become idiots if that happens. Also, SJW thought police will happen.

Just because \int dx = x + C to you now by muscle memory doesn't mean that you can make a baby understand it immediately. You could probably teach it precalculus if you tried hard enough, but Calculus must be reserved for a stage wherein the child can think clearly.

More impressive is that they instinctively know how to swim, which goes away the older they get. It's why it's important to introduce your toddler to the water if you want them to be able to swim well.

I would wager that spiders dont specifically "know" how to make a web. I would suggest that spiders find out they can shoot sticky shit out of their ass and trap food. Then they make patterns in which it is most likely to catch said food.

Nah. It's all instinct. They don't "learn" how to use their string to glide away in the wind after birth, they just do it.

youtube.com/watch?v=Sdqg-jn_tBk

no you slap them to make them confess where the fucking commies are hidden