Is paving roads out of recycled plastic a good idea?

is paving roads out of recycled plastic a good idea?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.volkerwessels.com/en/projects/detail/plasticroad
curbed.com/2017/4/26/15428382/road-potholes-repair-plastic-recycled-macrebur
bbc.com/news/av/magazine-39693091/can-plastic-roads-help-save-the-planet
mygov.in/sites/default/files/user_submission/16c4c059fb4718d59dc3af4266c66741.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fuck it why not? Ain't too different from using asphalt. Plastic doesn't really recycle.

Looked this up and found their site: en.volkerwessels.com/en/projects/detail/plasticroad

It seems like they've thrown out just about every buzzword they could without actually saying anything about the roads other than "hollow plastic box". I'm not an expert on plastics or roads so I'll let others tear it to shreds. A couple things I do see:
There's no way to repair damaged road except by replacing the entire segment. Unlike Asphalt/concrete there's no way to quickly patch a damaged section of road.
They stress that the hollow part can be used to lay cables and pipes. They neglect to say how you would install and maintain those cables/pipes. Cutting open the road would require you to replace the entire segment and replacing the entire segment would require breaking (And then somehow fixing) every cable/pipe that goes under the road.

just delet this thread

t. civ engineer

Good luck going over 15km/h in the rain

asphalt gets pretty hot in the summer. Won't plastic melt in the sun?

heat cycling fucks with asphalt but it OBLITERATES plastic
UV obliterates plastic
plastic is cheap but not nearly as cheap as asphalt

most plastics produce carcinogens when heated
and leach out xenoestrogen. Sounds like it'd be an ecological disaster.

Nope, it will melt, it will stink, kill the ecosystem, poor friction.
The idea is shit in all levels.

This
Plastics will not be durable for high volumes of traffic, weathering, and fluctuations of heat/cold

One insult to integrity.... rip

>Plastic roads

When I was seven my mother beat me severely with a segment of plastic track because I went to a friend's house after school without permission. Now I have a strong negative association with plastic roads, no, please don't make them this way.

If it makes you feel any better I severely beat ur mum with my dick lmoa

Oh yeah? Mine beat me with an asphalt track you privileged trout-faced dickwhistle testicle packer. I have to live with this shit.

Everything is a good idea when you don't think about it!

sounds a fucking scam to get more money for road maintenance.

>monthly UV inhibitor spray
>weekly secret proprietary traction spray(super glue and sand)
>of course we'll have to tear the road out every year to replace it.

shit I was going to use this as an argument for a communications class, whats a cool science / tech thing I can argue a policy over?

I could do net neutrallity but thats ez mode, I wanted something more unique and cool yet actually applicable

eugenics
>the fourth reich

Awful idea. Asphalt is easily recyclable and durable, two things plastics are not.

Mine beat me with a solar panel track you SJW.

anything that undermines privacy. It's the kinda thing nobody thinks about anymore.

This.

plastic freakin roadways debunk in 10..9..8..

>He thinks data will ever be safe again under the USA PATRIOT Act

Plastic is too soft and not easy to recycle. Asphalt can be recycled at 99% and just works. I do not understand why people insist on fixing things that are not broken.

Sounds like bullshit to me.

happening already, but not like OP pic
curbed.com/2017/4/26/15428382/road-potholes-repair-plastic-recycled-macrebur

Is this you?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj_FZduqblo

Not if this is the design. Not only are you focusing the weight and stress on those weak spars (which will crack) connecting the top and bottom layers, but also you need to ensure it has the same traction as pavement. Also, it needs to be as porous as pavement. Also since in the video they show the pipes and electrical equipment running through it, they would need to disconnect everything when removing one section of the road. Thunderf00t made a good video about it.

>and three times the expected lifespan
The expected lifespan tends to infinity, that's pretty good.

We use asphalt because it's the best thing we have for roads, and it withstands the elements well, and is easy to repair.

The reason all of these "alternatives" to roads always fail is because they will never be as versatile or durable / cheap as asphalt. This is basically solar roadways only slightly less dumb.

Oh, I can read BBC also.

They are doing OP's thing by putting a small amount of plastic in the normal asphalt mix.

bbc.com/news/av/magazine-39693091/can-plastic-roads-help-save-the-planet

What happens when it starts to crack?

Is there a chance the track could bend?

We would have to dig up the solar roadways and "recycle" them

he debunked this shit weeks ago

OP's pic is a buzzword scam,

this on the otherhand, is an applicable way to recycle some of our non biodegradable plastic waste

mygov.in/sites/default/files/user_submission/16c4c059fb4718d59dc3af4266c66741.pdf

not sure if troll or srs

Plasticity is best used as an example to plastics.
If plastics crack, they lose their structural durability among many other things, the plastic road will become unstable

Additionally, weathering with even the smallest crack or crevice will allow water to penetrate into them, perhaps freeze depending on the environments climate, expand, and cause one small crevice to develop into larger crevices.

Plast is a huge pollution problem. We should do everything to not use it

agree. this is fucking dumb. asphalt/concrete/gravel will never be replaced. the amount of plastic needed to do this would be unreal and would be significantly more than the current amount of plastic being recycled.
t. p.e.

Mine beat me with her fists, so now I have a phobia of anything with flesh

Not on your life, my Hindu friend.

Hmm retarded

Agree. as a ce this is the dumbest idea ever. Aggregate and asphalt are as cheap and fast as it gets and it still cost millions a mile. Can we stop letting graphic design students dictate public policy.

Yep, those plastics are better used elsewhere

more cancer from fumes on hot days?

If you need to save up on asphalt/concrete why not just use the plastic on parking spaces only ?

No its an awful idea. They still can't figure out the fucking thermal expansion and contraction

this

also if there was a fire/big rig eplosion it would just melt

roads cost much because of fat lazy labor unions who have no incentive to improve their product or automate

asphalt is pretty fucking amazing.

Been really wondering about drainage with these.

The more promising technology is the one where they tear up the bad road in place and spit out a surface behind. It's slow af right now, but it's a great reuse of material in place. Only good for really bad roads though, I wouldn't suggest it for minor patches.