But seriously, how do I get rid of this existential nihilism?

But seriously, how do I get rid of this existential nihilism?

I don't want to be an insincere, overly self-aware ironic memer my entire life.

Where do I find the meaning in life Veeky Forums? When does it start to feel good?

dio porco

There is no meaning to life but the meaning you choose to assign to it. You actively have the option to see life the way you wish. The trick of it all is finding a way to remind yourself constantly that life and existence only sucks if you choose to assign that outlook to it. It's easier said than done to do this and it all really comes down to your willpower to do so.

What is this positive thinking bullshit? Are you trolling? If so, you're really good, kid. Nothing personelle.

obstinate user

Holy fucking shit.

There's a simple solution here: getting the fuck over yourself.

Embrace post-ironic zero-entendre principles and live your goddamn life. Read Alfred Whitehead and Plotinus too.

"Life is meaningless" or "Life is just what you make of it XD" is a terrible, terrible meme that also happens to be false.

Consider that existential nihilism is something that usually sets in when your being a useless asshole who does nothing all day. You end up mistaking the insights you get while being deluded and unhealthy and convince yourself you have found truth because everyone else ignores you as they ought to.

Also browse /s4s/

>You actively have the option to see life the way you wish.
Then why do pessimists exist when they would admittedly rather be cheerful and positive about things and live a better life?

become a woman
two_girl_sybian_show_3183123

How to overcome it a philosophy idea? Read up on any number of better philosophical ideas. It's not a serious position.

How to overcome it as a mood? I don't know, get out more or read a fun novel like inherent vice or something.

If your looking for philosophical self-help read Being and Time, Beyond Good and Evil, or Aristotle's Ethics

Sounds terribly familiar to someone I know. Good post

What books from Alfred Whitehead would you recommend to start off with?

In this order:

"Modes of Thought"

"Adventures of Ideas"

"A Key to Process and Reality"

"Process and Reality"

Alfred Whitehead is not someone who directly engages with ethical issues, but his metaphysics is so reasonable and based directly on experience that I think he could help you get over the "life is meaningless" meme.

sorry, that should say "You're being"

Realize that you are in control of some portion of your emotions and thought process. Understand that what you tell yourself affects your emotional state. It is all a feedback loop. If you wallow in misery and pity, you are not going to get anywhere. Pessimists exist because environment affects how easy or difficult it is to acquire a positive mindset. Normalfags were given a golden key, this is true. Accept some responsibility for your situation and you will simultaneously give yourself the greatest gift you can---agency. Take baby steps to make your thoughts more positive and your actions more productive. A good first step is not questioning "what really is productive, anyway?" You know what it means, fucko. Certainly, you cannot turn your situation around overnight. I think that it takes a lucky a break to really dig yourself out of this shit. However, once you are out, realize that it is your responsibility to keep yourself there.

If this all sounds like fake normalfag bullshit to, you have my sympathies. I say this with no condescension. When you are at the bottom, that is how everything seems. If you see a grain of truth in anything I said, I encourage you to just give it a try. Stopping the downhill slide and building up momentum in the other direction takes a lot of time and effort, but many have done it.

I think this attitude that getting rid of the nihilism in yourself will somehow fix your life or make you a more motivated person is a dangerous one, because once someone realizes that it is false, they can do nothing but continue to lie to themselves. They will be locked in a state of transit, essentially, but they will use very unspecific terms to denote an imaginary "progress" that is not there. So, if they had a drinking problem, they will say they are "drinking less", and if they had problems with gambling they will say they still do it every now and again but less now, and as for their depression (which I claim is the root of the problem), they will say they are "feeling better", or that they are "feeling less depressed". Of course, if you ask them one year, they will say this, and if you ask them the next year, they will say this, and so on and so on. No progress is being made on their actual internal problems. The problems that are being dealt with are superficial problems of belief or moral attitude, or someone's "outlook on life". These are not important.

The meaning of life is to fuck

>When you are at the bottom, that is how everything seems.

This is the key.

There are two types of asceticisms that people undergo to deal with the world. The proper one is one that compensates and improves yourself to become more fit for the world and to gain more power over it. The poor mindset is to merely cope with reality.

I haven't been here in 3 years, but god, did this place go to shit.

I found The Meditations by Marcus Aurelius and I've been content with the Stoic belief system ever since.

>be good to people
>don't be a dick
>dying is natural and inevitable
>dying is preferable to living your life as a dick
>always be true and honest and reject vanity or the need to be applauded for not being a dick

le ebin slave morality.

dumb nigger
i bet you voted for shillary

le ebin cancer meme.

You and every other dipshit hick need to learn that making a name into an insult is not constructing an argument.

Spit out your tobacco and pull your cock out of your cousin before you try to politics.

A meaning that is entire.ly subjective to me ceases to be any kind of meaning at all

>thinly veiled classism
Leftists lol

>Realize that you are in control of some portion of your emotions and thought process
This is factually wrong, though.