I have some hydrocloric acid but i don't know its concentration...

i have some hydrocloric acid but i don't know its concentration. I wanted to determine it by titration with sodium hydroxide solution, but i don't know how to determine when the pH gets to 7, i have no litmus paper: What can i do?

Other urls found in this thread:

stevespanglerscience.com/lab/experiments/red-cabbage-chemistry/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Post approved.

Not sure if this is bait or not.
:thinking:

what?

You could make your own paper strips. Just get some notebook paper and cut the strips, then label them 1-10. Pour the acid on them one at a time, and if it dissolves all 10 then that's its pH, 10. If it doesn't dissolve any of the strips, then its pH is 0.

your post has been approved for submission.

titrate

Make your own indicator, Google should be able too help.

if i am getting something wrong, can someone explain? Or has this board completely gon to shit and you reply only to climate change and spectrum bill nye threads?

You need some beavises.
Torrent some episodes and grab good screencaps, it's what I did.

Use red cabbage juice if it's at home, this is not the best way to determine an accurate pH but works for neutral solutions. If it's at uni, bitch at whatever lazy ass fills out supplies.

stevespanglerscience.com/lab/experiments/red-cabbage-chemistry/

Americans are asleep. You're probably dealing with Australians.

i'm at home and hence my lack of equipment, thank you

You could perhaps do a thermometric titration and determine the endpoint from there if you have a thermometer at home

>thermometric titration
shit, I've broken my thermometer last week

google the equilibrium constant and calculate what the concentrations should be based off of the NaOH conc.
or weigh it, and find the volume, and make a guestimate of molality (water weighs a gram per ml), which is often close enough to molarity anyway.

Make sure you incrementally add then remove water incrementaĺly so you can a gaussian distro

[math] P A R A M E T R I C [/math]

>litmus paper

Use phenopthalein. Appears pink in basic solution and colorless in acidic. So you can find out when rxn in complete.

Measure the conductivity of the solution

Do the good old taste test. If it stops tasting sour and more basic (like soap), it's neutralized/basic.

For a known weight of the acid, neutralize with excess ammonia, then evaporate water together with remaining ammonia, weigh the remaining NH4Cl (I didn't find a mention of ammonium chloride crystallizing as a hydrate so I'll assume it's dry).

Or perform a metal+acid reaction and weigh how much known metal reacted with known portion of the acid.

These could give you an estimate.

Add it to a very large excess of water so that the concentration converges to 0.

I will try those, thanks