So I thought I would try cooking vegan for a month to break my habits. I currently eat a lot of meat and vegetables...

So I thought I would try cooking vegan for a month to break my habits. I currently eat a lot of meat and vegetables, but meat is expensive and I have gotten into a routine of making similar things and thought this might be a good way to break it.

I'm wondering about what will really be needed that I probably don't have at home right now.

What is required for a good start?

Is honey okay for vegans?

Other urls found in this thread:

npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/08/12/489622982/the-colony-killing-mistake-backyard-beekeepers-are-making
independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/autism-potentially-lethal-bleach-cure-feared-to-have-spread-to-britain-a6744291.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Most vegans dont eat honey because muh insects but like i dont get that.

Get nutritional yeast, bananas, and oats.

Guess I could go for syrup instead.

Bananas and oatmeal is common for me, but nutritional yeast is foreign to be, just hope that I can find it.

Oh hey, what a coincidence. I just decided to browse here and I happen to be a vegan.

Alright, nutritional yeast you can try, but don't expect anything amazing. I tried it when I first went vegan, but I haven't bought it since. It's not bad, but I don't know, there's a lot of hype about it I personally don't understand. Maybe I got a bad brand, but mine tasted earthy. Which is fine if you like earthy, but it's not something I'm especially fond of. A lot of vegans love it though so it's worth a shot to see if you're one of them. Good source of B12, but I prefer other fortified foods or a sublingual to get that.

Seems like you're going vegan for health reasons, but you ask about honey so maybe you're doing it for ethical reasons too. Different advice for both.

Honey isn't okay for vegans. Bees are classified as animals and I'm not an expert but they do seem to be hurt unnecessarily in honey production, and they do seem to feel pain. Also I skimmed past an article that said something like bees are dying because we're taking their honey and feeding them something else that isn't good for them, so you could look into that as well.

I'm personally not super passionate about not eating honey - it's just so easy for me to not do it that I haven't put much effort into researching. And I don't want to cause harm if I can avoid it if there's a chance they feel pain.

That food pyramid looks pretty decent.

Just eat what you want, but veganized. If you're into baking:
black beans blended with water is great as an egg replaced in brownies
banana/peanut butter for chocolate chip cookies
apple sauce or vinegar and baking soda in cakes (with coconut milk to make it extra decadent)
Vegan Egg is handy as a general egg replacer for baking (can also make things like breakfast burritos with it)

Follow Your Heart vegan mozzarella is great on pizza or lasagna (broiled for brown bubbles)
Try cashew cheese
To be continued...

Try Gardein
Trader Joe's has a ton of vegan stuff (like the best soy creamy cherry chocolate chip ice cream), so take advantage of that if you have one.

If you want to eat more tofu because it's a cheap protein - my favorite way to eat tofu is extra or super firm, coated in soy sauce and rice vinegar, pepper, and garlic. Baked or even microwaved. Nice savory flavor that goes with just about anything you add it to.

Many vegan yogurts - Silk is one of the cheapest and my personal favorite.

Oh, and be careful with sneaky animal ingredients like gelatin, whey, and casein. There are some "veggie" cheeses that contain casein, for example. Don't ask me why they exist, but they do.

And here's this, if you want more vegan products/recipes: www.pinterest.com/vfortheanimals

Thanks, how important is extra B12 if I only do it for a month?

What is nutritional yeast for?

It's mostly to change the routine and health reasons, but I feel that if I should do it I might as well do it right. And it's no problem to skip it so I will skip it.

Yeah I plan to do more baking so that part is really interesting, thanks.

Hi, saw this scrolling through the front page of Veeky Forums and while I don't have a stake in the vegan/non-vegan fight, you are completely and totally wrong about the honey and bees.

It is an animal product, yes, as in something produced by animals. Bees are given very specially designed plates to make honeycomb on, and after they have, a Beekeeper comes in with smoke to calm them, removes only a portion of the honeycomb, leaving more than enough for the hive to thrive on and then some, and takes it to be separated into honey and beeswax. The risk to bees is minimal at best and most beekeepers worth their salt are very, very careful to not harm any. The only time Bees are fed anything besides honey is a simple sugar syrup in an emergency.

Bees are currently dying off at an alarming rate, but that has nothing to do with Beekeepers - in fact, Beekeepers are doing everything in their power to help keep Bees alive, take care of their hives and educate the public to try and save them. The reasons behind Bee die-off are numerous and varied, ranging from a fungal infection, pesticides, people bulldozing wildflower fields where Bees used to feed, changing weather conditions and climate, and the ambiguous "colony collapse disorder".

Beekeepers are some of the most caring and ethical people I've met, they are very deeply upset by what's going on in the pollinator world and trying to do all they can to help. Supporting local beekeepers and helping to educate others is one of the best things the general public can do. If the bees die off, so does a massive chunk of our food supply - predominately fruits and veggies, so your livelihoods and diets as Vegans will be significantly harder.

Not at all important unless you were previously deficient, because your body can store it.

Nutritional yeast makes a cheesy sauce if you melt it with plant milk (also recommended to add seasoning like garlic, salt, etc.)

Some people use it in enchiladas, mac 'n' cheeze, etc.

Vegan baking is great. Chloe Coscarelli has some great recipes. A lot of box mixes are vegan too though and you can just switch the egg with one of the many vegan egg replacements, and Earth Balance in place of butter. Easy peasy. Unhealthy, but better than the animal based version at least.

>and I'm not an expert but they do seem to be hurt unnecessarily in honey production

Bees are not harmed at all during harvesting. The smoke used during the procedure is also not harmful to the bees; in fact, it doesn't affect them at all. It masks the alarm pheromones in the air deployed by guard bees so the colony doesn't freak out.

>Also I skimmed past an article that said something like bees are dying because we're taking their honey and feeding them something else that isn't good for them

You probably should have read the article so you'd know that's not true. Bees are dying out because of an assortment of ailments that are collectively known as Colony Collapse Disorder -varroa mites, gut parasites, and IAP virus are leading among these.

Honeybees produce far more honey than they need as a safeguard against predators raiding their stores(because pretty much all of nature knows that honey is delicious). They do this regardless of being farmed or not. Beekeepers don't strip the combs of commercial bees -they merely take the excess and leave the rest. Many beekeepers will even go the extra mile by replacing some of what they take with sugar syrup just in case.

Well, as I said, I'm not an expert, that's why I suggested he look into it. I skim past a lot of things vegans say about honey production (like cutting off their wings, thousands dying in transport for large scale operations, things like that).

I know these things do happen to some extent, even if a lot of bee farmers care for their bees properly. So that's why I will continue to avoid honey.

But I have considered the possibility that bee keepers actually help the bee populations, although I still won't eat honey even if just because it's kind of gross to eat bee vomit.

As I said, I'm not especially passionate about this subject though and if someone wants to eat honey then they should research it and make an educated decision.

>I skimmed past an article that said something like bees are dying because we're taking their honey and feeding them something else that isn't good for them, so you could look into that as well.

it's more likely that it's the pesticides used in farming

>So I thought I would try cooking vegan for a month to break my habits.

You mean the habit of eating a healthy balanced diet?

Vegans are idiots, and no different than the morons that brag about not eating veggies because it's "rabbit food".

Quit being manipulated by retards.

Except the scientific consensus is that animal products are bad for you for a long list of reasons and doctors should encourage all of their patients to adopt a plant-based diet.

Large bowl of cereal/bread/oats for breakfast
fruit/salad for lunch
turn your sides into mains and eat asian/indian shit more
include more beans/lentils in general
DON'T BUY EXPENSIVE MEME SHIT

there you are now vegan, fuck, that was easy.

No need to be so aggressive, user.

Vegans eat tasty, healthier food, and don't want to fund animal abuse. Why is there so much hatred over this? Grow up, user.

Bullshit.

The scientific consensus is that a healthy diet consists of a balance of animal proteins, grains, fruits, and vegetables, and the more diverse the better.

Fuck off with your self loathing pussy garbage.

>Vegans eat tasty, healthier food

Yea, that's why they end up killing themselves and their children due to malnutrition.

What the fuck is a "serving", and why do Americans need so many of them?

Yeah nah.

>I know these things do happen to some extent

Do you have proof, or was is something you hear one time buying parsley at the farmers market?

>But I have considered the possibility that bee keepers actually help the bee populations

Beekeepers are about the only people actually trying to help bees in a hands on way. Not just with keyboard activism "think about the bees, man" bullshit. Beekeepers rely on bees, in a more direct and involved way than everyone else.
Don't get me wrong, idiots are everywhere, and beekeepers are not an exception.

npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/08/12/489622982/the-colony-killing-mistake-backyard-beekeepers-are-making

Buying honey from reputable beekeepers is a good way to help support their work. Adopting hives is also an option in some states.

If you're going to reference a article, link the thing so people on this Czechian apiary forum don't have too.

Saw photos of it. Sorry, gonna ask you to google it, because again, I'm not passionate enough about this to do it for you.

Not saying this is the case here, but I get so tired of people pretending farmers care about the animals because their profits rely on them. It's a logical fallacy that couldn't be further from reality.

Also, again sorry, but it's one of those articles I skimmed past on Facebook. Just thought I'd mention it to him since he asked if honey was okay and I'd give him some reasons why vegans don't eat honey, but gonna leave the researching up to you guys.

This.

Veganism gets a bad rap for being an "expensive" diet, but that's only because people make it expensive by trying to buy specialty foods that mimic meat and dairy instead of just eating foods that are meant to be vegan.

I will say that you should vary your day-to-day diet enough to ensure that you're getting all the right proteins/minerals though.

>I will say that you should vary your day-to-day diet enough to ensure that you're getting all the right proteins/minerals though.
So basically, do the same thing you're supposed to do as a meat eater?

Why are vegans such insufferable faggots?

Well except for some off-topic this all went surprisingly well, thanks for the help everybody.

you get to feel superior to everyone without really doing anything
if you're a vegan, your feces has no odour and your electronics and the services you use don't consume energy nor create pollution

Fuck off then

rude
you must be a vegan

I want to go Vegan for a month to clean out system. I can make shit on the stove sure, but I want to use a slow cooker as well since I haven't used it in awhile. Anyone got some ingredients for slow cooking?

>to clean out system
i've heard good things about diluted bleach enemas; they're supposed to cure autism too!

>I just decided to browse here and I happen to be a vegan.
Animals died for that computer you're using right now

Damn you are very funny lemme laugh with you. Ha haha haaaaaa. Lets go tell other people to kill themselves haaa ha haaaaaaaa autism haaaa

independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/autism-potentially-lethal-bleach-cure-feared-to-have-spread-to-britain-a6744291.html
still think think it's funny?
people do it, it's on the innernette so it must be true

The meat eaters in this thread are acting like such obnoxious autists I feel like going vegan just so I don't have to be associated with them.

you should really do it
hopefully you got an instagram account or nobody'll believe you're really a vegan
remember to take a snapshot or ten every time you eat something

>mfw telling vegans to kill themselves cause they're worthless cucks

please seize postin p*p* the racist nazi-fascista frog
this board is worksafe as you can see by the colouring

My brother harasses vegans online and I can confirm this is an accurate depiction.

>Honey isn't okay for vegans. Bees are classified as animals and I'm not an expert but they do seem to be hurt unnecessarily in honey production, and they do seem to feel pain.

So are trillions of critters crawling around on vegetables during harvesting. Don't go full retard.