Should I take Identity Politics seriously or not? And if so, where do I begin? What books do I read?

Should I take Identity Politics seriously or not? And if so, where do I begin? What books do I read?

In one ear I get people screaming at me that it's a bourgeois distraction from real/class politics. In the other ear I get people screaming at me that it's grossly unacceptable to ignore/downplay the concerns of minorities.

Which is it? Divide and conquer, or legit?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0bi1PvXCbr8&list=FLMly8V1PuIH0R-MPTRSUfaA&index=54
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There is the third option, that it is just people who want attention and political power

You should read Ta Nehisi Coates' book. He's the most important modern writer on identity.

The mistake is not to pay attention to identity politics, the mistake is to look at EVERYTHING political or social through the lens of identity politics like so many do.

First one.

However, to add, class politics are FAR more important and significant

No, you go read Nietzsche like a good boy and pursue something greater.

Legitimate concerns that ought to be addressed, and can perhaps best be addressed through class struggle, but are also concerns that have been co-opted and filtered to serve ruling class interests.

Always investigate user, but maintain a critical eye.

As for recommendations if you want something that addresses these concerns within the prism of class I'd recommend Engels "On the Origins of the Family, Private Property and the State" and Shulamith Firestone's "The Dialectic of Sex".

The latter was when the feminist movement actually had some balls and argued shit like

>gender inequality originated in the patriarchal societal structures imposed upon women through their biology; the physical, social and psychological disadvantages imposed by pregnancy, childbirth, and subsequent child-rearing ... She advocated the use of cybernetics to carry out human reproduction in laboratories as well as the proliferation of contraception, abortion etc .... Firestone described pregnancy as "barbaric", and writes that a friend of hers compared labor to "shitting a pumpkin". Among the reproductive technologies she predicted were sex selection and in vitro fertilization.

>gender inequality originated in the patriarchal societal structures imposed upon women through their biology; the physical, social and psychological disadvantages imposed by pregnancy, childbirth, and subsequent child-rearing ..
Does anybody really disagree with this?

>Does anybody really disagree with this
some matriarchal upstart primitives, communists, and whores

>Should I take Identity Politics seriously or not?

I don't think so. Most people who are advocates for identity politics are just as oblivious to proper argumentation as zealot christians on the far right. Also the subject is fucked. The self is difficult to grapple with and bringing politics into it doesn't help.

Just remember they need to prove their case before you should start feeling guilty about whatever they're pushing

Yes take Identity Politics seriously. It is a real thing and a major form of public manipulation and crowd taming. You need to mix it in with sophists and rhetoric, while you can have condensed power if you use force you will never have the same power as the one who shepherds the masses of unwashed peasants behind him.

Marx only had strength in his large class of unwashed ignorant proles. In this age of semi-washes, semi-ignorant, semi-proles, it takes a master showman like Trump to pull off such powerful and beautiful acts of public shepherding.

I don't know where I am going with this, but start with the greeks and follow up with the romans(Cicero) and follow that up with Shakespeare and random speeches from the past few centuries.

youtube.com/watch?v=0bi1PvXCbr8&list=FLMly8V1PuIH0R-MPTRSUfaA&index=54

No, you should not take it seriously.

Acknowledging the existence of biological sexes is a taboo in modern gender theory - that would imply trans-women aren't real women.

Of course it was Firestone's solution that I found interesting.

Trans women aren't real

Doesn't have anything to do with trans women

This is true, I thought I saw one but I tried to poke her and my hand phased right through her

Don't bother.

The whole identity politic and by extension SJW + anti-SJW is a minority (kek) issue with a few loud idiots trumpeting 'radical' nonsense at each other. Also I've noticed this is also how girls troll us on tumblr some of the shit you see is /r9k/ level stuff, of course there are the few true robots.

Notice how rarely adult-adults participate in this.

>He is a communist who talks to other communists.
Keep your gayness to yourself.

I tried the same thing and a body part fell off

>trumpeting 'radical' nonsense at each other
There are groups which work to amplify the voices of this minority to ensure large irrevocable fissures erupt between members of any possible coalition that could threaten the structure of the power of elites which rule the state.

The Firestone quote? No obviously not.

I am shitposting

This is only shitposting if you already assume it's shitposting, and I don't

This actually means so much to me user

>should I take identity politics seriously??

No

Illusion, what have they done other than being loud? No race war, BLM are now a routine CNN/FOX/MSNBC filler piece for when someone gets shot.

Just people shaking a hornets nest and getting upset that it stings.

wew.

What

You haven't noticed people talk talk about EVERY political occurrence through the lens of social justice?

PSHHHHH

PURE IDEOLOSHEE KID

Sexy

this is nice confirmation that Veeky Forums is the new /b/
loli threads when

Any board is only as good as its shitposters. That means you.