Have you experienced the greatest art of these mediums?

>Pet Sounds
please end this meme

I'll end this "meme" once it stops being true. No musical work has topped Pet Sounds, before or after its release.

>some random 60s pop album is literally the greatest musical work of all time
Seriously wew lad

>some random composition from the 1700s is the greatest musical work of all time

Whoa now, clearly you don't know music.

Of course it's not correct, it's not even the best Beach Boys album for God's sake, Surfs Up takes that medal.

And we all know Low is the best album of all time.

probably
The Beach Boys are overrated, they were almost forgotten before Pitchfork memed them back into relevance

ITT: Contrarian plebs who think they're too good for music that is both acclaimed and popular

I literally can't refute your post, OP. Well done.

>they were almost forgotten before Pitchfork
You are retarded bro.

the only good movies are horror movies, and most of them are terrible

Laughing Stock is the best album of all time though. It's Ulysses in music form

what was that Scaruffi quote about Sister Ray being the equivalent of Beethoven's 9th or something. That guy was hilarious

Also your post is beyond retarded but I'm sure you knew that

Have you listened to it?

laughing stock? Yes I have, I don't really have much of an opinion on it, I thought it was pretty

The reason your post was retarded is because Ulysses is a work of Modernist fiction, and its equivalent in music if such a thing exists will be a work in Modernist classical from around the same time.

Laughing Stock is pop music, which is not an insult at all, but it's a different kind of thing

The Velvet Underground is objectively the best rock band of all time.

If you disagree, you need to listen to them more, actually listen, ie don't just listen to it and think "wow, that's so le cool and influential xD"

They are objectively superior to every other rock band before and after them, and their music is more deep and rewarding than any other rock. Lou Reed himself said that he wanted to "make rock music that grows up with you", and even when the edgy macho posturing of punk and metal and numale indie becomes boring the Velvets will always sound good.

They are also the most Veeky Forums band. Lou Reed was mentored by Delmore Schwartz at NYU, soaking up Yeats, Joyce, and the Beats. Sterling Morrison got a PhD in literature.

I think Radiohead are better

pleb

They have better melodies, rhythms, textures, song structures, the singer's voice is better, the lyrics are better, the themes are more honest and relevant, the musicians are all better except John Cale.

True
Many bands have grown stale to my ears; the Velvets never will.

Nah. Radiohead is pretty dull techno-art-rock. Decent, but a lot of it feels very passionless (which I guess could be the point)

Laughing Stock is pop music? Are you sure you've listened to it? It's an antithesis to Pop music if anything

Yeah I agree though my comparison is flawed

As in popular music, as in not art music. This is not a criticism of pop music at all, I think it's both extremely powerful and kind of unique among artforms. But the most experimental art rock is still closer to a Beatles single than it is to counterpoint, which again is not a commentary on its quality.

I think it's almost uncomfortably passionate but that if anything is subjective. You have to at least admit that they're extremely talented musicians, especially Greenwood and Yorke, and they are masters at creating accessible songs that don't wear out.

Dude, reviewbrah actually talks about how much he likes falling down in a VORW. Jesus christ, he browses Veeky Forums for real.

I do know if I agree but it totally depends on your definition. Parts of Laughing Stock are far closer to avant-garde music than to pop, or to ambient jazz like In a Silent Way, or to Noise/Drone music etc. I guess it's a basis of your definition of 'art' music because for me it is not necessarily distinct from 'pop'. Like SMiLE by The Beach Boys is 100% Art Music to me despite an obvious root in Pop. By the way it's also far better than Pet Sounds and probably the greatest album from the 60s (it came out in 2011 but you get my point)

Eat shit.

>video games

Skinner Boxes not worth anyone's time.

Go play Dragon Quest V and try to say that again.

みんな死ね is the superior release

Definitions in music can become arbitrary but I do think there are some genuine distinctions.

Western art music, as in the tradition from around 1100AD to the 20th century, had strict rules governing most of its development until its total dissolution starting in the 1800s. The rules evolved of course, but they were near immutable constructions that both limited the creative space and birthed efflorescences of genius that brought them to the very heights of their possibilities.

Popular music is something very different and maybe unprecedented because of its reliance on modern technology. It is closest to old folk traditions, but with radically innovative approaches to sound.

Avant-garde occupies a weird space between the breakdown of Western art music and the more experimental adventures in pop.

'art music' is probably the wrong term to use, but these are not the same thing

Jazz is something I'm less familiar with, it seems to be something of an anomaly. It is almost like an art music for a new generation, with the obvious African and Western roots combining into something new, and rather shortlived.

I'm getting bogged down here but the point is that there was a tradition, and the tradition died in the late 1800s-early1900s and what has come since is qualitatively different

>15 year old new to Veeky Forums starterpack.

>Pet Sounds

>Smash Bros

lmao

Christ you are a faggot.

Frank Zappa was shitting over The Velvet Underground in 1967 in terms of "deepness" far beyond this proto-williamsburg hipster shit.

Maybe you are just young though so I will let it go, you will grow up eventually.

The best rock album of the 60s is objectively Astral Weeks. This isn't even the best VU album {White Light/White Heat is better).

saint dominacs preview is better astral weeks always sounded to me like old rear mounted trailers and hubby farting when he kisses my turquoise pendulum and alt teens in california eating too many sausages and losing their faith in humanity but saint dominacs preview is the real champion

>implying Zappa isn't for lelquirky teenagers
Franz Zappa is pretentious and his music is boring and ugly
Astral Weeks is not rock

>threads taste keeps getting better and better

Saint Dominic's Preview is definitely an underrated gem, but I do not think it is better. Also, I think it came out in 71 didn't it? Veedon Fleece would be the closest competitor to Astral Weeks in my eyes. Also nice prose ya go there

Astral Weeks is 100% a Folk-Rock album. The up-tempo Blues influence is too abundant for it to be anything else

Starsailor
Inland Empire
J R
東方妖々夢 ~ Perfect Cherry Blossom

Melee isn't best vidya of all time, although it comes close. Quake 3 cpma is literally the pinnacle of gaming.
Melee has some small flaws. There are several techniques such as shield dropping and dash-backs which are very dependent on your controller. Due to inconsistency in how the game polls it's impossible to do some stuff with 100% consistency. You can't change controls in software and the default controls are pretty bad. Dash dancing and SDI are pretty bad for GameCube controllers and you have to replace controllers somewhat frequently. Crouch cancelling is a relatively annoying mechanic which invalidates two thirds of the cast. Characters like sheik also have simple tools which invalidate lots of the other characters. Fox is objectively overpowered and still clearly the best character in his nerfed form in PAL. Playing melee at a high level is also pretty bad for your hands (although you could say the same for quake).

theres honestly a really good review on it on rym. "What it really comes down to is that Van Morrison is God, and we are all his people." its overlooked among canonized songwriters for how shoulder turning he is to stylistic loyalty. i mean, astral weeks is beautiful and well deserving of that pluto virgo play through but saint dominic's has the fullness in an unremarkable orchestration. maybe im talking out of my ass but it's a good album to curl up to in fear/happiness. it doesn't really matter and you can't really tell with van. i actually havent heard veedon fleece!

No. I'm not a child nor a manchild. Why the fuck would I play a video game when it's nothing but false accomplishment and a carrot on a stick?

OP posted the same cancer on /mu/ hours ago.
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)