Chili tomorrow. Throw some good seasonings at me

Chili tomorrow. Throw some good seasonings at me.

Obviously there will be the standard:
Chili powder
Cumin
Cayenne
Smoked paprika

Give me some good stuff to kick this up a notch.

Here, listen up to me

Few squirts of hot sauce
Small splash of beer
Toss in a slice of cheese and just let it completely liquify

Actual dried peppers instead of powder.

Just give it a good old bamb with the spice weasel

Got some Franks I can stick in there.
Already got the beer I could use.
Not too keen on the cheese, save that as a topper when it's done.

Got a shit ton of dried peppers. I'll get them blended up and in there.

Fresh chillis, dried chillis. Mince the dried chillis and toast them with peppercorns before either adding them straight or grinding them. Fresh chillis should be added at the start of cooking; dice up three or four of various varieties if you can get them, but regular ones work fine.

Also toast off the dried spices as well in a dry frying pan before putting them in the pot.

Used diced meat instead of mince. Left over roast beef honestly works best, but diced beef also works. Mince never seems to work for me, even if I fry it off first. Regarldess, make sure you brown off your meat first and deglaze. You can use beer and I'd recommend using a lager, but water honestly also works to get that stuff off the pan. Also make sure you fry off your onion first at least to softened state.

I just finished making chilli for this evening. It'll be in a slow cooker all day and I'll make some guacamole to eat it with some tortilla chips. With the guacamole, make sure the avocado is ripe and mushy. Add a diced onion, a clove of garlic, coriander diced up and the juice of one lime. Mash up with a potato masher until nice and smooth.

You might also want to add some fresh chillis right before serving. One or two diced up just to give an extra dimension.

I think adding a little flour actually makes a huge difference. You get an extra savory/gluten note that can be hard to get otherwise. I add maybe 2 tablespoons for a whole pot of chili, which isn't very much. You probably won't get any thickening effect of note but the depth of flavor will increase. Just make sure to cook the raw flour taste out, which may take 15-30 minutes, depending on what you're doing.

dump the chilis in multiple stages.

an early dump gives it a long, mellow heat. a middle/later dump gives sharper heat.

thicken with masa or finely ground corn chips. dump that in very early.

if you grow your own chils or can get a fuckload of fresh chilis to dry, that makes incredible chili powder. it's much brighter and more intense.

a little bit of maggi seasoning sauce is the only real secret ingredient i use.

The best way to thicken I find isn't to add a thickener, but take some chilli once it's cooked, put it on a frying pan (with no oil) and boil off the excess fluid.

Start with some bacon in a pan, get it crispy and dice it up, and leave the bacon fat. Cook up your meat (about 2lbs of ground beef, leftover brisket, diced chuck roast w/e) in the bacon fat on medium-high to get some goodness on the pan bottom, and move to pot with the bacon. Throw in diced onion(And any peppers you add if uncooked) with some salt to start deglazing, and get em translucent (about 12 minutes but keep an eye on it whole time). Throw in some garlic before its done (~11 minutes). In this onion/garlic/fat concoction throw in your spices (chili powder like said(2 TBs, smoked paprika (1.5 TBS), cumin(2 tsp), pepper, worcestshire, soy sauce, allspice, a touch of cocoa poweder. Add liquid smoke or coffee (splash) too if you have it) and cook for about a minute. Pour over your beer in this pan and scrape the bottom with your wooden spoon. Put it in the same pot with your meats with about 28oz of tomato product (crushed tomatos. tomato sauce. diced tomato. canned or fresh) with beans if you want, and simmer for 4-6hours. If it gets too dry for your taste toss some water on it.

Serve with pasta and chedder, over rice with naan, on a cheeseburger and fries, or in a bowl with a side of cornbread

My secret ingredient is Marmite, half a teaspoon in a large pot got unsolicited positive comments from my family

I could actually see that working quite well.

Gimme ingredients to make your favorite chili.

BEANSSSS

I add a bit of either peanut or sesame oil. Not enough to be noticeable but I think it helps the flavor profile. I also use sea salt and some cloves.

I'll also throw in a bay leaf, maybe two depending on the side of the batch.

I unironically add a couple drops of fish sauce. Couple dashes of turmeric too.

Cocoa powder.

cocoa powder
cloves
allspice
serve over spaghetti

Came to post this. Use high fat cocoa. It doesn't taste chocolate it just makes it rich tasting.
Chili is something where you just throw whatever in and see what turns out well. I think garlic works pretty well. I've even put fish sauce in it.

Thoughts on cornmeal in chili?

I'll throw a splash of coffee in for depth.

My chili always has at least 2 types of pepper, dried or fresh.

I unapologetically put in 2-3 types of beans.

Add fat into it from the meat you cook. And dont forget to add brown sugar to give it a mellow bagckground taste. Makes the heat you add to it more even and it lingers

Why would I want gritty meat sauce. Fuck cornmeal.

>Serve over spaghetti

KYS

Do it now

OP here

Ground pork
Ground beef
Yellow onion (caramelized)
Sweet peppers
Jalapeno (fresh)
Serrano (fresh)
Anaheim (dried, blended, toasted)
Japanero (dried, blended, toasted)
Chile de arbol (dried, blended, toasted)
Mexican cumin (toasted)
Ground California Chili Powder (toasted)
Ground New Mexico Chili Powder (toasted)
Ground Pasilla Chili Powder (toasted)
Smoked Paprika (toasted)
Steel Reserve Lager
Franks Red (Buffalo)
Seasoned Salt
Brown Sugar
2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
2 Beef Bouillon Cubes

Good stuff.

Forgot 2

Ground Mexican Oregano (toasted)
Cayenne (toasted)

So many ingredients...

I like cheese, but goddamn, that's disgusting.

I marinated some chunks of beef and pork in coca cola, it was great.

Seared pork loin+Dr.Pepper/Coke in a crock pot is incredible.

Throw in a little Chipotle powder

Chopped green pepper, a bit of pickled jalapeno, quarter teaspoon of tabasco.

Just chrush a couple of cups of nachos into it instead.