/comc/ Day 1 - The Count of Monte Cristo read-through

Chapters 1 through 5 - There's a-doin's a-transpirin'

>Ebooks and audiobook
mega.nz/#F!NIcBwCYL!ZZo5gGqjat1yL_-RkuzZFw

Let's take a headcount just so we know how numerous we are: strawpoll.me/11940433

It begins! How are you feeling so far? Are you hooked yet? How long did it take you to read the first five chapters? At this point I like Caderousse the least. At least Danglars and Fernand have something to gain from their plotting. Caderousse is an enabling coward who doesn't even dislike Edmond that much. It seems fairly clear to me that Fernand has feelings of regret.

How much do you know about the historical context of this period and the first exile of Napoleon? I am fairly ignorant, though the Wordsworth edition I have (not the version I am reading) has a good historical introduction. I can't find it online but if someone has something similar then feel free to post it.

Here's hoping for a successful read-through!

>Previous threads:

It certainly doesn't waste any time getting started, i enjoyed the entirety of the chapters. Fernand seems like /ourguy/

I have a reasonable basic idea of Napoleonic history, which is helped by just finishing W&P a few days ago

>tfw you don't want anything bad to happen

And Edmond was released the next day, married Mercedes, became captain and lived happily ever after. I hope you enjoyed this short story of good things happening to nice people.

Fernand is a pussy sperg.
Who else pictures Caderousse as that nigger full of piercings from Pirates of the Caribbean?

i already read the count of monte cristo.

I dont blame fernand for being so mad. I mean, if i was personally humiliated that hard and if i put in so much work only to have it go away, i would be royally pissed off too.

>The Count of Monte Cristo

on my all time favorites famalam. Just a friendly reminder that Villefort didnt actually do ANYTHING wrong.

Not going to join in since I already read the book a few years ago, just want to say I hope everyone enjoys the book as much as I did.

Dumas's prose is normally nothing special, but he has his moments. inb4 >judging prose by a translation
>By degrees the wind abated, vast gray clouds rolled towards the west; and the blue firmament appeared studded with bright stars. Soon a red streak became visible in the horizon; the waves whitened, a light played over them, and gilded their foaming crests with gold. It was day.

Villefort was just a good guy just wanting to do what was best for his family. Only character I actually felt bad for other than Albert.

posting so this will show up in my watched threads after I do the reading

I'm picking up my copy after work, so I'll join you lot tomorrow in the discussion.

Yeah, I would imagine there will be more discussion in the following threads as there will be more to discuss.

The thing about wrong-handed handwriting was a neat idea

Sorry guys i have to finish writing this goddamn paper first - will join in as soon as I am done.

Finished today's read. It was really fast, as some anons said it would be.
Don't think the prose is a master's work, but it's really ok. No problem with it.
Story is what i expected.

>Fernand seems like our guy
Nah, it's just a idiot. The woman keeps telling him that she don't want anything and he keeps pestering her. Just go find some other pussy, man, for fucks sake.

Danglars is a fucking snake. What a Keikaku.

Also, i agree with OP, Caderousse is the worst. Danglars can be a snake, but the amount of cynicism coming from Caderousse is too much.

>i will just stir up their hateful feelings towards Edmund while i innocently drink wine, i will not be responsible for anything coming from this shit

>How much do you know about the historical context of this period and the first exile of Napoleon?
Basically, a bunch of allied countries defeated Napoleon, capturing Paris and exiled the guy, making him abdicate of the throne. They put the Bourbons in command of France.

Why you no read in french?

>pleb actually reads Homer in translation instead of the original Greek

hahahahhaa kys!

I'm in the W&P reading group. I read the first day for COMC, but I'm not sure I can keep up with both.

Why exactly does Danglars hate Dantès so much? It is a very cruel thing he has done to someone that did not deserve it.

learning ancient greek is an entire different game than learning French, Amerilard. French takes about a month to become fluent if you have an IQ above 80.

Enjoy your translation, pedestrian scum.

I will enjoy the translation. It saves me the time of learning Arabic, er I mean French.

Because I'm lazy

Danglars was just jealous because Edmond was Morrel's favorite. He wanted to be first mate of the ship.

Yeah exactly this. Danglars is a little shit.

I just got done with the chapters for Day 2 and it ends at a point that makes me tempted to read ahead. Probably not a good idea with a rest day tomorrow though

Just began reading senpaitachi, might catch up with you folks.

Gonna bump this thread even if I don't catch up.

thread for day 2