So what do you think about this present I want to give to a friend of mine on Christmas? She loves books...

So what do you think about this present I want to give to a friend of mine on Christmas? She loves books, so I thought I could share with her some Joyce, a meme from here and some of my favorite books.

No woman likes joyce......unless this is one of those completely unfuckable masses of androgynous pigflesh, in that case why are you trying to impress that?

>giving her the full Joyce bibliography
She'll take off her pants and offer you her pussy immediately, I guarantee it

if she has shit taste, give her joyce.

Well she did say she wanted to read Joyce. She just doesn't know what she wants to be in for. She sings in a rock band and I don't really want to impress her...not that I could. Still, if she won't like him, she at least would be able to say that she has Joyce on her shelve, right?

Senpai when you pull out Dubliners shell already be slick as fuck, by the time you pull out Finnegan's Wake she'll be on her knees trying to get your cock out of your pants so she can put it in her
That's what Joyce does to women

>Wordsworth

She'll think you are a cheap pleb.

lmao I came here for this. even that bloodmeridian is cheap as fuck.

That's a lot of Veeky Forums meme tier books in one photo user.

this

Well, it's still better than having to borrow them from the library I guess. To be honest, a book in English here in my country is pretty hard to find...I just bought the first one I saw, although I indeed feel bad for not buying a hard cover edition at least. The only hard cover one is the one by Dan Lungu because that is the only edition published of said book.

ulysses and finnegans wake are not for some girl who said "yknow id like to read james joyce one day". also those are some of the cheapest most worthless editions ive ever seen. take me all back and get her a GOOD edition of dubliners and say "hey babe, remember when you said you wanted to read james joyce? well here's dubliners, babe, in a nice edition, none of this wordsworth shit, ive got cash, yknow? i can provide for a bitch. im out there hustling james joyce books for you. you appreciate that, dont you? you appreciate me doing that for you? you like it when i go out and earn bread? im an irish breadwinner bitch, haha anyway heres the book, enjoy."

why would you give someone a shitty joke like finnewans wake?

The only memes are Blood Meridian and everything Joyce related, but since she reads only as a hobby and has never ever been on this site, she hasn't heard of it yet(Blood Meridian I mean).
Really, the others I've never seen to be discussed here or pretty much anywhere else. Maybe I just need to lurk more...

Joyce, Wallace, & Pynchon are the meme authors on Veeky Forums.

Out of which only Joyce is in the picture.

I can see that.

blin cit de prost poate sa fie un om...

Although I must say I pondered getting her Infinite Jest just for the keks.

IJ is better than obscure shit like GR or Ulysses. It's a better consideration, user.

?????

you got her ulysses and finnegans wake

>arse

TOP KEKEKEKEKE

If I plan to go in, I'd better go in all the way, right? What use does it have to only get a portrait...?

He also makes them splutter out big fat fellows

In Romanian arse means burnt. The title is something along the lines of In hell all the lightbulbs are burnt out.

OP really. Don't give her Blood Meridian. Maybe give her the Saramago, Dubliners, and Lord of the Flies

She likes thrillers and the evil of mankind...not in an emo way...so I thought she might like it. Although she absolutely hates horror so that's a fine line to thread.

Why would you give that many books to someone as a present? They'll never get read.

Well, because she reads that many with ease. She is, for a person who considers herself only a hobby-reader, an avid one. Although she might get stuck at Joyce, which is why I figured I might as well give her something to rack her brains. Food for thought I guess.

Sure, but Joyce's work is heavily intertextual. Giving her both Ulysses and Finnegans Wake is a lot since you need a good knowledge of literary canon to get something out of it.

With the amount of reference guides on the internet, I doubt she'll really get stuck for too long. I mean there will most certainly be a place where she would be able to read what each reference and technique actually amounts to.

>didn't buy her a copy of Mein Kampf

You should have bought half the amount of books but instead gotten better versions of those.

Also you should have slipped in one redpilling book in there which she wouldn't notice just for the keks.

>William Golding
>James Joyce
>e fata
user, ultimile patru carti le ai luat pentru tine , nu pentru ea. N-o sa impresionezi, ci o s-o lasi proasta.

>mind if I borough that book I gifted you
ghagahgahaghaga

>didn't buy her the original Mein Kampf in Hitler's autistic handwriting

Ca sa fiu sincer, ai intuit perfect. Chiar acm le citesc inainte sa i le dau... Is un cheap faggot, dar prefer asa...ma aleg si cu cartea, si cu fata.

Codreanu is more appropriate in this thread

prietene, daca vrei s-o faci sa se ude ia-i Twilight. Cu Joyce o sa fie ce va gen
>mmmkey user
>cool gift
>[awkwardness intensifies]

Should I? I still have time to if I plan to do it. I mean, it fits with the evil of mankind she's so fond of.

>tfw no irish breadwinner lit bf

is she Evalion or smth?

Ii cv mai high brow decat ya shit like twillight sincer. De fapt cea mai potrivita carte pt ea din tot picul ala ii Imparatul mustelor

V. Woolf ? e efectiv versiunea feminina si diluata a lui Joyce

Well she is with Trump. More than that not really. Maybe though...

I actually buy one of my friends Mein Kampf every year for his birthday.

O citit deja wolf, sadly. Desi chiar era o idee buna...uitasem de ea.

what the fuck, is this a Romanian-English pidgin dialect?

Anyway, never present someone with more than one book as a gift or in a loan, it will overwhelm them and they will ultimately read none of them. I think Dubliners is a good way to start with Joyce

I think there's a big difference between reading the endnotes/references and actually understanding the reference directly.

If she doesn't like or care about Joyce, then she won't read/finish the books and you've given her too many books. If she does care, then why would she need the other books when you need to read so much stuff for Joyce anyway?

Okay, nu am pus really much thought in cadoul asta acm ca stau sa ma gandesc. Eh, fie ce-o fi...teoretic ii si cadoul de ziua ei deci yey...I fucked up.

It's a fucking disease in Romania nowadays to mingle up English and Romanian. Makes you sound fancier. I got caught in it too as you can see...we're japanizing a bit too fast for my own taste.

It looks bad, why don't you just loan French or Italian terminology, it would be pretty nice looking

Good point. I think that I don't even expect her to finish them all anytime soon. I just wanted to give her reading material to be honest, and maybe introduce her to my own tastes in authors...like Saramago or Lungu. Joyce is in there bc, as I said to a fellow countryman in this thread, I plan on reading them before giving them out to her. It's a win-win.

Still, she is clever enough not to get lazy and cop out bc of one too hard to get reference. Plus, she loves English, which is why I chose Joyce...since he really deals heavily with the issue of the English language in a very post-modernistic way.

There was a point in which every aristocrat in Romania used French loan words. Our language got full of them...and then came a cultural revolution(1860-1890) in which a well-known critic in our country put forward the theory of forms without fonds...saying that using a term just because it sounds fancy is plain stupid and that we should be proud of our cultural heritage. Since then, although French was still the primary language to loan words from, in time it got a bit too fancy for the day-to-day peasants who started to romanianize such terms and even come up with terms enough French-sounding like taking tge word for fork(furculiță) and making it French-sounding - furculission. It was just plain dumb...I much rather prefer English over how weird French sounds mixed up with our Russian sounds.

the*

OP does speak with english lone-words, the others didn't though

fruntea sus , user

This is hella dumb. Give her like one of those books you cheap ass. Shoulda got her some good alcohol or a nice sweater.

I didn't say everybody does that. Actually among most educated people..including students...it is tried as much as possible to avoid English. But among uneducated people, the lower-class students and some other people(like me) this is a habit that grows more and more popular.
What, d'you think I was lying?

I have some books of Wordsworth don't be mean. I have the complete works of James Joyce by Wordsworth.

She did actually tell me that one of the things she wanted for Christmas is books. Actually, it was her number one wish. So I just went for the easiest route, not gonna risk buying her an ugly ass Christmas sweater or get her booze...especially since she is very restrictive about the amount of drinks she has...

Yeah but why all those books? Just give her one dude, seriously.

Thank you, kind user. Now to be honest, he may be right to a certain extent, but I wouldn't buy the cheapest translation of something. I did this because the book is in fucking English...different editions only mean a different cover, maybe different paper quality, maybe a better introduction...but all these do not influence by any means whatsoever the message of the book itself.

I can't argue against that...you may be right, one book might have been enough. Now it's too late to give her one as she actually found out how many books I'm gonna give her. I feel dumb.

I also bought it because it's the four books in one. It's 1600 pages. But yeah, the book is in english so there is no much of a difference in editions.

should give her the d instead user

Don't stew over feeling dumb, just say you went on a book buying spree and was having some fun picking out books. Just let it be and don't think back on it.

Dostoevsky?

Thanks for actually encouraging me. To be honest I'm not really feeling that bad...I mean they are fucking books, who cares in the end...