I have a seven year old kid in my family who refuses to read

I have a seven year old kid in my family who refuses to read

Mostly on account of "if it has a movie/tv show, why should I read the book?" or simply laziness and lack of interest.

Any idea how to get a kid into reading?

pic unrelated

>"if it has a movie/tv show, why should I read the book?"

The kid is genuinely smarter than you.

I have a 6 year old. I've read to her every night of her life. I read in front of her. And I even say things like "there are two kinds of people, those who read and those who don't. And you can tell who is who". I tell her our professional and personal success comes from reading. I don't allow screentime during the week or on schoolnights. I go to the library with them twice a week. I find out what her interests are and try to get award winners that suit them. Its basically full court parenting, and if that hasnt been done by the time he is seven, time to try something new, like programming or legos or some shit.

Tell him to start with the greeks

Read the book versions of the things he likes and then obliterate him in discussions of the lore that hint it's 50 times deeper than the show/movie version lets on

Find other things he'd be interested in based on his current interests (fantasy, scifi) with deep settings, and reference those things to him in relation to things he does like

Use the prestige/seriousness kids associate with age to make it seem like cool adults know way more cool shit than this dumbfuck kid, because they've read all the books. If he likes how FTL is depicted in on scifi setting, act like another cool depiction of it (e.g. Forever War) is something that EVERY cool scifi nerd knows and he'll be given wet willies and violently raped if he tries to talk shop with real nerds while he's just a showfag baby

Grab him by the testicles with one hand and look into his eyes while tipping his chin up to face you with the other

I see. Thing is I don't live with her (the kid). The mom is the one who takes this type of thing upon herself, but between the opinions like "you're girl, read girl stuff like Three Little Kittens" or "don't read comics, it's too complicated for you" even comics like My Littl Pony type of stuff, the kid isn't really pushed to read by herself. She also spends most of her time watching tv so she sees books as useless entertainment

Oh and i'm not the dad. i'm the step bro.

nigger he's 7. I didn't start reading seriously until I was 19.

I mean, try stuff like the old RA Salvatore books, or violent fantasy, or if he likes trains those eyewitness books. Appeal to the animal brain. All I am saying is that if you dont grow up reading, you have to come to it late in life like all the new faggots on this board

Sodomize him until he listens

it's good to know that there's good parents on this board

And I started reading at 6
I know someone who started reading at 5 and read Stephen King at seven.

Comic books

Just forbid them from reading books

Tried. She abandoned after two pages. I persevere though.

or OP's diary desu. It's full of single syllable words.

This would work if it was something that she sees as potentially entertaining. If you forbid her to read books but allow tv, she's just going to keep watching tv.
If you forbid both, she'll try to watch tv and never care about books.

She aspires to be her mother. Without the mother actively participating any effort is irrelevant.

Well until adolescence anyway. I notced she already resents her mom for some unimportant but basic stuff that she's not allowed to do.

Pay them cash to read a book of moderate difficulty, $10 or $20 per book ought to do the trick. Compose three questions on the contents of the book, and make the promised payment contingent on correct answers to ensure compliance. After a few rounds of this, the habit will be established, and you can discontinue the cash rewards with no ill effect on the child's tendency to read.

>start with the greeks

I mean, that's not a completely horrible idea. You get a ton of fun stuff with the various fables and myths. I mean, I know that as a little kid, I fucking loved reading about how Odysseus put a Cyclops's eye out.

Abort.

Redwall

Works with grades, not with fundmental enjoyment

I'm not sure this would work very well. External rewards like money are (in terms of establishing long-term habits) much less powerful than internal rewards.

Put a gun to his head and make him read.

For most people first you have to read for action before you can read for ideas, and you have to read for ideas before you can read for beauty and truth.

Get him some 40k books. Eisenhorn, Space Wolf, Gaunts Ghosts, Felix and Gotrek. All good stuff.
Halo: Fall of Reach is also a top notch gateway book, if kids still care about Halo at all I guess I'm showing my age. But anyway, get him some solid schlock is what I'm saying.
Could also throw some Robert E Howard, Moorcock, Lieber and Lovecraft at him.

>she sees books as useless entertainment
They are, you stupid sperg.

>I've read to her
>by the time he is seven
>user raising his kid gender neutral

why even post

>40k
>seven year old

Books, especially history books, have gruesome or absurd details which movies lack.