WESTERN CANON LITE

So Veeky Forums for 2017 my goal is to read some of the most important works ever created. Here's a list I made based on Bloom's one:
1.Gilgamesh
2.Mythology (Edith Hamilton)
3.The Iliad
4.The Odyssey
5.Introduction to the history of philosophy
6.Oedipus Rex
7.Oedipus at Colonus
8.Of The Nature Of Things
9.The Republic
10.Antigone
11.Letters from a Stoic
12.The Aeneid
13.The Prince
14.Montaigne Essays
15.The Divine Comedy
16.Metamorphoses
17.Popol Vuh
18.Shakespeare's Imagery and What It Tells Us
19.Hamlet
20.King Lear
21.Othello
22.Antony and Cleopatra
23.Julius Caesar
24.Macbeth
25.Romeo and Juliet
26.Don Quixote
27.Paradise Lost
28.The Sorrows of Young Werther
29.Faust
30.Don Juan
31.Rimbaud's Poems
32.Madame Bovary
33.The Count of Monte Cristo
34.Re Joyce (Burgess)
35.Dubliners
36.A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
37.Ulysses

I didn't include any of the Russians because I've read most of them.

Anything you would add or remove? Any advice?
Help is greatly appreciated

Are you NEET? If you're working or studying I don't see this happening but maybe you're a much better reader than I am.

My goal is to read things i enjoy

you forgot the bible

Remove the women, fags, spics, and Jews

Read Mein Kampf and Schopenhauer's 'On Women' instead. Also the Bell Curve

>introduction to the history of philosophy
>popol vuh
>shakespeares imagery & what it tells us
>antony and cleopatra
>romeo and juliet
>don juan
>count of monte cristo
>re joyce

out

in

>five dialogues of plato
>pride and prejudice
>david copperfield
>henry iv pts 1 + 2
>middlemarch
>moby-dick
>wordsworth poems
>king james bible

No, I don't expect to finish this year.

mahabharata or at least baghdad gita

The Bell Curve is unironically good though

replace Don Juan with Childe Harold's Pilgrimage and Romeo and Juliet with As You Like It or The Tempest.
you should also definitely read Petrarch's Canzoniere, The Canterbury Tales, Moby Dick, Lyrical Ballads, the Oresteia and at least the first 3 books of the Faerie Queen.
You could also possibly include Tristram Shandy, The Golden Ass and The Lusiads but these are perhaps not as important as the others.

Poo in loo shit doesn't belong in the Western Canon

also this guy
is pretty much right in what you should remove and i agree that replacing Antony and Cleopatra with the Henrician Cycle (Richard II, Henry IV parts 1+2 and Henry V) would be a good idea

>out Introduction to the history of philosophy
So can I just jump into plato with no introduction to those that came before him?

>popol vuh
I'm from Mexico, so I'll probably keep this one

>Shakeaspears imagery & Re Joyce
Do you know of better intros in orer to appreciate the works better?

Thanks for the advice user. The only one I won't include is the bible. I know its probably the most important book ever but my catholic childhood gave me a good grasp on it's contents and seems like to much at the moment. Saving it for later.

Add
Songs of Innocence and Experience by William Blake
the poems of John Donne
the poems of Walt Whitman
the poems of Emily Dickinson

>Gilgamesh
>Western Canon
huh?

plato is the easiest and most fun to read serious philosophy there is

>Gilgames
No, this isn't Western canon. It isn't even relevant. Greeks weren't aware of Gilgamesh. Romans weren't aware of Gilgamesh. Medievals weren't aware of Gilgamesh. Reneissance men weren't aware of Gilgamesh. Most of the modern history hasn't been aware of Gilgamesh.

It's an interesting piece of literature, but it isn't relevant to the Western canon at all, unless you are saying it is important because it influenced Bible, by which argument you could include practically everything written as it has influenced something in one way or another.

>No Oresteia.
Oh dear.

>Greeks weren't aware of Gilgamesh.
Wrong. Gilgamesh almost certainly influenced the storytelling tradition of Homer, and he may have even heard/read it.

>Oh dear.
Are you an old lady?

Yes, I know it isn't part of the Western Canon. But I think it's important to read it anyway. I'm actually halfway through it and I find it fun and comfy.

Nah, he hadn't read shit, Gilgamesh wasn't even widely read around that time. Homer came around four hundred, five hundred years later than the "standard" version and by the time of Homer Akkadian was already losing its prominence.

>Gilgamesh wasn't even widely read around that time.
Source?
>Homer came around four hundred, five hundred years later than the "standard" version and by the time of Homer Akkadian was already losing its prominence.
Well nobody really knows anything about Homer, for all we know he could have been a griot-type figure who knew many stories, including Gilgamesh, and it probably influenced Greek culture to some extent. Gilgamesh and Homer's epics share too many similarities to ignore

OP, please please please add the Oresteia here.

Do you actually have source that it was lmao?

>probably
That's all just guess works. It's more likely than not that it didn't influence shit.

>Two pieces that tell a completely different story and are of completely different angles culturally and have different points are very similar
Not really.

Add Orlando Furioso and The Decameron. They're essential medieval works that have influenced literature for ages even though Veeky Forums doesn't really talk about them too often.

I will. I promise Anons

Please don't forget it, your Excellency!

If you had to pick one?

The hippest old lady in town.

Oof you'll be missing out, but if I had to pick one, I guess it would be Decameron because it's one of the first steps that literature takes into realism.

Orlando Furioso is where we get a lot of our concepts of chivalry from, but you can get that elsewhere like's Faerie Queen so you can see what it is that Quixote is ultimately deconstructing when you get around to reading it.

Meant for

Edith Hamilton is a waste if you're planning on reading all the works it covers anyway. Read Hesiod instead.

The Mahabharata, Analects, Daodejing, Classic of Poetry, and the Shahnameh.

WESTERN CANON

Does Hamilton's Mythology offer anything more than can be gleaned from wikipedia?

No.

reading a bunch of old books by dead white men just because other dead white men think they're special won't benefit you
consider utilizing your time better OP

this
read harry potter instead

No, it's just a summary of the works OP already listed, packaged together in one place.

>this guy

Are you the same cunt that's been shitposting in practically every thread on Veeky Forums today?

>people who make racist posts are le evil frogshitposters!

can't tell the difference between retardation and trolling anymore

But it's true, there's been an unreasonable amount of pol-tier shitposting and breaking conversations today
Have some people carried a raid or is it just a single guy?

>Antony and cleopatra
>out
Fight me faglord

There has been pol-tier shitposting because redditards get buttmad at it. It's fun to trigger you nu-anons

Also, protip: /pol/ never raids other boards.

maybe you should go to reddit then

>The board is of such low quality that it's even better to go to reddit

>nu nu nu nu
>reddit reddit reddit reddit

You have to go back

Yes of course, now go

ebin meme, now leave you cuck

>has zero interest in literature
>there is a board wholly dedicated to shitposting
>Decides to shitpost on literature board

>implying I don't have an interest in literature
>using le Pepe maymay while complaining about shitposters

>le evil frogposters boo-hoo

R A U S
A
U
S

cuck

Not an argument

Im happy for you.

>2.Mythology (Edith Hamilton)

yikes. no. there are far better works on comparative mythology. avoid.

checked

ps. clever reverse psychology mate

Examples user?

If you think Homer read anything you're a dipshit

>he doesn't enjoy learning

Truly deplorable to be quite honest kin.

>implying classics aren't enjoyable
Plebbb

needs more medieval texts
Recommend either the collected works of Cretien de Troyes or of Thomas Mallory

First of all, very solid list. Basically all of the works there are masterpieces. That said:

Why are you reading an introduction to the history of philosophy and then almost no primary texts at all? The Republic is not a great start either.

I enjoyed Edith Hamilton's Mythology, but you'll get more from Theogony along with your ancient greek list.

Too much Shakespeare in drama IMO. Add some Ibsen and Calderón de la Barca instead to keep some variety. Watch the plays if you can instead of reading them.

From the top of my head you're also missing Borges, Hamsun, Woolf, Baudelaire, Dostoievski, Whitman...

>western canon
>no Icelandic Sagas

Would reccomend either Egils saga or Njals saga

>western canon
>no finnic epics

Would recommend either Kalevala or Kalevipoeg

I didn't know the Rimbaud meme had gone this far.

Nobody knows if Homer was an actual person. Gilgamesh influenced the Greeks by shaping the oral storytelling tradition which preceded Homer.

OP, read Candide as well. Easy, easy read.

Where the fuck is The Bible? It's one of the most important books of all time in the entire planet.

You had better read the faerie queene (Longman recommended)

Remove Byron. Lord Byron really contributed nothing to poetry or the English language.

Thanks

>Why are you reading an introduction to the history of philosophy
Well as you can see I already have a lot of things to read, I wanted something faster. But what would you recomend instead and how would you start with plato.

>I enjoyed Edith Hamilton's Mythology...
Thanks, i'll check it out

>From the top of my head you're also missing Borges...
I already read most them. But I'll add Woolf, never read anything by her.