To actual humanity students: what textbooks would you suggest to an autodidact?

to actual humanity students: what textbooks would you suggest to an autodidact?

>autodidact
>textbooks

Pick one.
If you're an autodidact it's primary sources or bust.

i'm an autodidact but i don't want to be a clueless pseud like 95% of this board

>Sartre pic
>autodidact

Weren't you paying attention? You have to read alphabetically.

Start with the Greeks.

>i don't want to be a clueless pseud

too late my man

weird that the picture doesnt include texts for learning ancient greek

You can read primary and secondary sources without the use of textbooks.

Good one

What a weird question. "The Humanities" encompass a pretty wide, and often disparate, array of fields.

It'd be kind of like asking "I want to learn science, where do I start?" It depends on what science you want to learn, or why you want to learn science.

Then don't read textbooks.

>humanity students
Go outside

what do you suggest then? reading primary sources and pretending to understand them? that might work for philosophy but, i'm sorry the opening post wasn't clear, i was referring to literature

>autodidact
>needing recommendations

Sorry, you're not an autodidact.

What I do once I finish a dense book is think back on what I read, reread parts I didn't understand at first (which I noted along with other parts of interest) and reach an initial conclusion. Then, I read multiple analyses from any sources I can find to pick up anything I missed and incorporate it into my understanding of the book. Sometimes I'll write some other notes once I'm done.

Watch lectures online, like the Yale open.
They're literally 99% of the experience of actually being in a Uni

peter barrie - beginning theory

no tea
no shade
no pink lemonade

Did not think there would be a day that I would see a RPDR reference on Veeky Forums. I feel all fuzzy.

maybe if you're a socially inept loser

found the Chad

Dude no a dialogue between your peers and the professor is much more important to education and retention than watching a lecture. There is middle ground between socially inept loser and broseph stalin.