One hot spring evening, just as the sun was going down, two men appeared at Patriarch's Ponds. One of them—fortyish...

>One hot spring evening, just as the sun was going down, two men appeared at Patriarch's Ponds. One of them—fortyish, wearing a gray summer suit—was short, dark-haired, bald on top, paunchy, and held his proper fedora in his hand

DROPPED

>translations

He was wearing an ushanka

completely utterly unforgettable book. eternal love for life.

his other stuff any close?

maybe you shouldn't read penguin translations, pal

cat classics

its not penguin

Some books translate it as pork-pie hat

it's cat

It's the same translation, then. Get a better one.

it's not the same translation

heart of a dog was fun but not quite like margarita

Do Russians wear ushankas on 'hot spring evenings'?

So what's the deal with this book? It looks all melancholy and stuff from the cover, but people say it's a laugh riot hoot. How does a laugh riot hoot elicit such praise of beauty and literary excellence? What's a boy to believe

guy was satan, he'd be cold on a hot spring evening.

I thought those guys were the edgy atheists who satan fucked up

thats really the only cover that has that feel, all the other covers have the cat acting like a little asshole, like he does in the book

but is it just a comedy jokester book? If so then what about it constitutes a masterpiece?

>cвoю пpиличнyю шляпy пиpoжкoм
>his decent hat a pie

the copy i have of this book is possibly the ugliest thing I own

Heart of a Dog is pretty good, and I really like The White Guard, even though most people don't. I liked it mostly because I have an interest in the Russian Civil War, and it's a good example of a novel where the protagonist is a city rather than a person, and it follows all the little people that live in it.

Pretty interesting story with tons of smart allegorical/symbolic stuff

This.

>he
I thought the "Master" was Wolan/Satan and the cat was a girl called Margarita. I haven't read it.

That's my favorite cover of this book actually.

I liked Country Notebooks and Black Snow but they are more like Kafka than the Bulgakov of Margerita.
His other stuff didnt do it for me.

>"I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”

What does this mean?

Heart of the Dog was great man

Margarita is my devoted love, hands down

It's his job to do good, but he want to be evil. Devil in Master and Margarita is the one that's employed by God to take care of the wicked, so everything he does is for the good.