What are some things that are kafkaesque?

What are some things that are kafkaesque?

Other urls found in this thread:

rjgeib.com/thoughts/russell/russell.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

My life desu

MSM these days.

Don't let your family watch/read any of it. They are the fake news.

Sometimes I poop then wipe but there is no poop on the toilet paper. I must look in the bowl to confirm my refuse. Despite knowing there is no more poop on my skin I still feel unclean all day. That is what it means to be Kafkaesque.

>Don't let your family watch/read any of it. They are the fake news.

This, really.

I'm a middle school teacher and sometimes I feel like we've created a Kafkaesque system of rules and 'consequences' at our school.

The Internet.

Big, powerful thing which controls our lives and we don't even understand half of it since a lot of it is kept in secrecy of the shadows. I think Kafka would have a field day writing about things relating to the internet if he was alive now.

He'd probably just shitpost on Veeky Forums all day instead.

>any books for my dad's birthday?

super-ego

I recently read "The Judicial Murder of Tsui Ning", a Chinese short story. Definitely had a Kafka feel, and it's quite short.

Canada's social justice courts

Is this a Mission Hill post

That's not the internet so much as the government

Muh deep state

Please no meat touching ma'am!

Newspaper comics.

I dont get it.

That's what's Kafkaesque about them - they run and run for decades, but have often have no intelligible joke whatsoever. Why do they keep existing? Is there someone out there that enjoys this? It's a mystery.

Patrician comic

Heathcliff is kafkaesque as fuck

Gregory Berrycone

Have you ever gone to a restaurant and been waiting for a table and some other family or party comes up and gets a table way faster than you and you ask the waiter why this is happening and they just look at you funny and say they don't know why they were just told to do it so you sit down in a huff because you know that that table was yours goddamnit but the restaurant gave it to them anyway for some unknowable and Byzantine reason?
That's Kafkaesque

Nepotism isn't really Kafkaesque

It is from the outside, especially if you don't know that it's nepotism and no one offers you the explanation

Can you expand on this, user?

How do you wish kids were disciplined?

Considering becoming a teacher myself desu

Wikipedia

Recaptcha gives me lots of "click on pictures of sushi". I read that the tasks are based around them creating a database, or feeding some AI. The other ones are clearly useful, like transcribing street numbers, or highlighting signs. Is identifying sushi an important computational task?

Education and Discipline - Bertrand Russell
rjgeib.com/thoughts/russell/russell.html

Discipline isn't important, commanding children doesn't help them learn. Neither does allowing students to be totally free. The best way is to involve yourself in knowing their thoughts and being able to teach them morality in addition to grammar, mathematics, and sciences.

taught them to see humor as something you get -- the same way we've taught them that a self is something you just have. No wonder they cannot appreciate the really central Kafka joke -- that the horrific struggle to establish a human self results in a self whose humanity is inseparable from that horrific struggle. That our endless and impossible journey toward home is in fact our home. It's hard to put into words up at the blackboard, believe me. You can tell them that maybe it's good they don't "get" Kafka. You can ask them to imagine his art as a kind of door. To envision us readers coming up and pounding on this door, pounding and pounding, not just wanting admission but needing it, we don't know what it is but we can feel it, this total desperation to enter, pounding and pushing and kicking, etc. That, finally, the door opens...and it opens outward: we've been inside what we wanted all along. Das ist komisch.

I'm drunk and cut off the first part of the quote while posting from a slow Android device desu

Best post I've seen on Veeky Forums in a while.

Have an upboat :^)

>teaching kids morality
Don't you know that this only makes them more edgy and rebellious as teenagers?

Privilege theory and modern identity politics.

Kafka itself I d say

I think this thread is the most Kafkaesque of all: OP asks for Kafkaesque things and gets totally inane answers about things that aren't Kafkaesque at all. Including this post.

Damn man really made me think

It IS odd. They all have the same strange feel of being drawn by neutered old men in the suburbs with a depressing form of Alzheimer's causing them to not realize they're continually making the same stale jokes. They also seem to suffer from clinical depression and to have entirely 2-D personalities. Afraid to draw or write anything outside the norm. As if they're constantly being watched by the voices in their head.

Underrated

The modern American university

in what way

same, at a high school myself

burn it all down my man :^) just kidding prop it all up become a nice coggy :^)

The fact that America has an orange, pathetic, racist manchild with small hands as the President!

Hey, he's not racist.

I disagree. My teachers were fucking cunts in highschool, were mean to me if I didn't study and stuff like that. Hated them and hated life. Yet when I got to college, where nobody cared whether I was studying or not, I fared better than my coleagues, was less stressed and could manage my time better. You can only get discipline the hard way and without it you'll never be succesful no matter what.

fuck DFW here especially. he says a bunch of DEEPE platitudes yet spectacularly fails to say why Kafka is funny. re

Being falsely accused of a rape for something that cannot be unambiguously proven in a laboratory.

I read 'teaching kids mortality'.

That would be kafkaesque.

I'm convinced that the only reason people say
>and some people view kafkas work as a comedy!
is because K himself apparently chuckled to himself whilst reading his works to other people

the dude had fucking mental problems he was probably just imagining new ways to disappoint his dad

There's nothing to get except the ridiculousness within the idea of cows developing tools and the tools themselves.

\

>certain people being more privileged than others is a """"theory"""

>is identifying sushi an important computational task

How does a computer "know" which one of those is a sushi roll, and which isn't? How does a computer "understand" that a picture of sashimi is still technically a picture of sushi?

By having an exhaustively large input of individual photos identified as being sushi or not sushi, and thorough programming that allows the computer to "make guesses" based on similarities it can been told to find.

That's all that "deep" learning is. Shoving a whole bunch of information that's already been identified and codified by humans into a computer, and then giving the computer complex and specific sets of instructions on how to relate all of that information.

The Captcha is just a means of mass computing by people. They are performing that categorization much more rapidly and for free.

>i dont understand the usage of "theory" as it pertains to science and academics

Having to wait for hours and deal with incompetent and lazy employees at the District Administration Council when you want to get your ID.

Well identification and recognition is one of the most significant research problems in both cognitive science and AI. Both theoretically and empirically we have a fuckload to learn. Identifying sushi could have some sort of experimental role in all of this. Of course in this respect, its being sushi is irrelevant (assuming, of course, that I'm right; that is, that identifying sushi is just part of some larger general purpose computational goal). They just need some random type of object to consistently use - in this case sushi.