How about a thread for obscure trilogies?

How about a thread for obscure trilogies?

NYRB has a few of these that sound pretty cool.

this was so fucking cool

I was planning on picking it up between Christmas and New Years, seems like an interesting read. Also thought of getting this since anything Hungarian Veeky Forums related is awesome.

Isn't this one of the most popular YA series of recent years, or am I just thinking that because it's one of the few I ever read?

It's not really considered a trilogy here in Italy, but in hispanic countries it's been published as an unitary edition, so here you go. Not even obscure, to be fair, but certainly it's a masterpiece of 20th century's literature about war and the holocaust.

Cool covers for sure.

That's a nice cover and title.

Trilogies are so overrated. What are some good bilogies (dilogies? duologies?) and tetralogies? (cvadrilogies?)

What's this flick about?

I haven't met a single person who's read James Ellroy's Underworld USA trilogy and it's probably the best crime series with actual literary value

Dunno. This and his dark materials are the only ones I really read as a kid apart from harry potter.

The Notebook / The Proof / The Third Lie by Agota Kristoff. Used to be discussed on Veeky Forums every now and then, now I never see it

that's a 10/10 desu

Are they Ellroy's best? I've been meaning to read something by him.

Not obscure but great trilogy.

This one.

Not the guy you responded to so I don't know what he'd think of this but LA quartet is what I've heard people say is his best

How is it? It sounds pretty good but all the reviews I see for it are mixed

I really liked Ice Trilogy. I agree that parts dragged, especially the repeated conversions/awakenings, but I can see it's deliberate to create an incessant, nauseating kaleidoscope that gets as many cross-sections of Russian society as possible.

I thought the ending was super lackluster however, and was very much a cop-out. I don't even necessarily mean in a plot sense but that it felt thematically empty and unsatisfying to the stuff he was trying to explore regarding faith, chaos of modern life, technology, and illusions/reality/projections.

I still really liked it though, and I thought how he varied his style was fun. The opening, which was a parody of the kind of 19th/early 20th century Golden/Silver age Russian novel opening was really funny.

Sounds good. I love Russian scifi, and havent been let down NYRB, so I'll check it out

Sorokin's epic trilogy, originally published between 2002 and 2005, expands the enigma of the 1908 Tunguska meteorite blast into an impressive merger of metaphysical fantasia and gritty conspiracy thriller. Following the impact, select humans realize they are actually cosmic entities and form a group called the Brotherhood in hopes of finding the way back to the Light. Though the relatively weak first book, Bro, is crippled by an excess of overwrought prose, Ice is a spectacular achievement, vividly exposing the eventual corruption and brutality surrounding even the noblest of goals, while 23,000 moves effectively outward to encompass those who fight to uncover and defeat the Brotherhood in a tense race against time. Though very slow to develop and marred somewhat by irritating redundancies and areas where disbelief is difficult to suspend, the trilogy builds into both a gripping story and an impressive metaphorical window into the 20th-century Soviet experience, offering substantial rewards to the patient and thoughtful reader.