What's the best way to cook corned beef...

What's the best way to cook corned beef? I've always just submerged it in water in a crock pot and let it sit a few hours on low heat. Is there a better way?

My dad boils it. Then replaces the water halfway through cooking it. Then cook it in the oven to get a crust.

Parents like making an OJ/Syrup mixture/glaze to put on it. I like it plain. It comes out well this way.

Set that heat to 170 in the pot with kenji's recipe and I let that shit cook for basically 24 hours, checking the crock pots water level.

Why would you cook it...

The typical cut (brisket) used to make the corned beef is tough and needs long slow cooking to break down the collagen and make it tender. You could slow cook or smoke it at 225F for a number of hours but then you run into the problem of it being oversalty. Simmering in water removes some of the salt used in corning. Maybe soaking in several changes of water for dry cooking might reduce the salt level enough, idk.

Is this the corned beef that comes in cans?

real corned beef is raw and you have to cook it

yeah

Boil until done (2-3 hours) and brush with 50/50 brown sugar and pungent mustard and bake in oven until crust forms

Cover it in oil then press it into whole coriander and black peppercorns. Smoke 6-8 hours until tender. Now you have pastrami which is better thanked corned beef.

Could of fooled me.

Oh christ...so it's not real brisket?

In that case the best way to consume it is to take it to the roof of a 50 story building, set it down and jump off you worthless cock juggler.

I cook it the same way my mom did, and her mother before her. We roast it, never boil it. Once it's done brining, I rinse the brine off well, and put it in a roasting pan with a can or bottle of beer. Roast it low and slow, covered, and then the last 20 minutes, uncover and brush it with a mixture of mustard, a little brown sugar, and black pepper, and let it glaze. Boiling it ruins it.

It's real corned beef you cock-monglers. pic related, not literal.

Sweet pic and sweet dubs you dick choking ass pirate.

>roasting with a liquid
>not boiling

Uh, you know you're boiling it in the oven, not roasting it, correct?

god i love this subreddit

This is so wrong I don't even know where to begin.

>liquid in pan with meat
>temperature of the oven is above the boiling point
>liquid boils the meat
>b-but I'm not boiling the meat

Makes perfect sense!

It's neither. Roasting is a dry cooking technique. Boiling would be if the meat was fully submerged. What they're doing is braising.

>correctly insert tab into key/tool thingy
>twist
>twist
>twist
>remove can
>cut into slices
>place slices on buttered bread and eat

wa

la

I've been making corned beef for 30 years now. I've had different methods based on where I was, home or on vacation, half unpacked, visiting friends, or whatever else I was doing. Sometimes I just had a whole brisket and needed the bigger roasting pan or else slice in half or thirds. So without further ado:
In order of my preference:
1) Pressure cooker w/ spices, dark beer, or water to cover by half. By far the fastest and most tender, yet very moist and not stringy at all.
2) Graniteware covered roaster with a good rinse off of the brine packing liquid, than a hearty rub of spices and german mustard and about 2 cups of coffee poured into the bottom (to prevent drippings from burning). This crust that forms is awesome, no sugar needed, and the salt renders out nicely and you get a great red eye gravy which is nice for storing the leftovers for next days sandwiches.
3) Braised in a crock pot.
4) Braised in a pot on stove/oven.

I realize not everyone has a pressure cooker nor would use one much. But, a granite ware covered roaster is very cheap, and makes a divine roast, esp prime rib and thanksgiving turkey. Awesome to own, and the lids nests for storage.