J _ M B _ L _ Y _

Who can guess what I'm about to make?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/qMMVvS_mmqE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bust out some seasoning on dem breasts. I used Tony Chachere's, salt free Mrs Dash, and spicy Slap Ya Momma. Dice your breasts and get your skillet on med-high. Spray with canola oil. I like the spray here to minimize greasiness.

Toss em in. Brown all sides and cook for ~4-5 min.

Get ready to add the sausage.

gumbo

Let the flavors marinate with each other for another few minutes.

Not quite.

Once you're done transfer to a casserole. You better save that juice in there.

Dice an onion. Pour some olive oil this time into the same skillet and turn to medium. Toss in your shrimp and onion, and add a bit more cajun seasoning. Cook until onions turn clear.

Pop open a can of Rotel. For those who don't know, it's canned tomato and green chile. Pop open a can of chicken broth too.

Pour both cans into a measuring cup and add water until it hits the 3 1/2 cup line.

For those who haven't figured it out yet, we are cooking jambalaya. Zatarains brand is on point. It's better than anything I could ever do from scratch, the spices are perfect. I go with low sodium because I enhance the recipe with salt and spices on the meat.

Mix everything together in the casserole and put in oven at 350 degrees. I'm about to check it here soon. Check at the hour mark. Oh, and cover it.

youtu.be/qMMVvS_mmqE

Laughed too hard at this post

kek I forgot about this

This turned out perfectly.

I like magic swamp dust (fire department blend) if you can find it. It's kind of like lemon pepper mixed with tony's more spice.

Jam boleyn

Jambelly!

>Zatarains brand is on point. It's better than anything I could ever do from scratch

Dropped.

S P I C Y

Jimbullys

last few times I've tried jambalaya I used brown rice and I couldn't get it to cook long enough without drying it out too much, resulting in crunchy rice.

Is zatarains a cop out?

>Is zatarains a cop out?

Yes.

Jambalaya lol

Jimboliyo

>Is zatarains a cop out?

No. Everyone in New Orleans uses it. Some just don't admit to it.

>msg
Truly authentic

You didn't seer any of your meat. Gross.

>we are cooking jambalaya
no we're cooking gumbo

It's "sear." And you don't want to seat your meats in this recipe.

Jqm bplxyz? It's got to be jqm bplxyz!

Msg is the good of all seasonings

>It's "sear." And you don't want to seat your meats in this recipe.
Uhh, yea you do sear the meat. Brown is flavor!

I don't have an issue with anyone using Zatarain's mixes, but yea, they can be salty, so you used low sodium. But, the ROTEL is pretty damn salty. I'd have used low sodium whole tomatoes (if I used tomatoes at all, which I do love).

But, it's not hard to actually make and brown some trinity, and toss in a bay leaf or two with your rice and liquid, and hit it with some cayenne, paprika, garlic, thyme (major ingredients in cajun seasoning). Tony Cachere's is cajun seasoning in a can for like $1.
The Zatarains is a time saver though, because it uses converted/instant type rice that cooks quicker. To me, I love the texture of real rice however, not that instant stuff. The bay leaf steeping in that rice is what Zatarains can't duplicate.

>crunchy rice
Use more water or stock. That was a moment to learn that your lid isn't so tight, and you had to up your liquid or steam it longer, etc. You'll eventually get the ratio just right.

Caribbean Zatarains I do buy though. It's actually got some ingredients I don't always have on hand. When I'm doing some roast jerk pork, or grilling some chicken or fish....this is my go to side. It has bits of coconut in it and pineapple in it, good herb flavors with good amount of curry and chilies, both. Sometimes I'll get Publix takeout Mojo Pork, and there's nothing good they have prepared that's easy and this is done fast. Or, I might combine black bean soup and rice to make my own moros, and top with a quick pico de gallo.

Op, last time I made a thread like this I did all the meat prep like you did. Broke out the onion and green peppers...sauteed..

I kept this going for a while. I was talking about spices... where and when to get them. The origins of the dish and cajun creole culture.

Then.. just like you did. I broke out the red and white box of full fledged cajun glory.

People lost their shit.

My favorite post was pic related.

Well done OP. That is how some one from Louisiana makes jamby!

Ha, that's great. I love me some Zatarains dude! It's an awesome company. I've tried cooking my jambalaya from scratch and it just wasn't as good.

>That was a moment to learn that your lid isn't so tight

what are you saying? I should have my lid tighter or not as tight? cruncy rice guy here btw

What problem are you having exactly?

I tried making Jambalaya before, both a store bought mix and from scratch, but it just doesn't click with me. Low country boil, however, is fucking amazing and I always make it at least once every summer.

South Carolina pls go

jam belly?

>shrimp
im from hawaii and even i know this isnt how you do it

would eat at your house OP. Save me some

That's wut yer mum said last night

I've always wanted to try jambalaya. This looks fire.

From New Orleans. Can confirm that shrimp, and any other protein, is fair game in jamby town.

JOMBOLIYA!

I wish the file name on your pic were longer

Jambellys

I like all 3 like OPs pic

I bought some of this today. It better be good.