Chicken is by far the most popular eating animal in the world. That being said...

Chicken is by far the most popular eating animal in the world. That being said, where did the "blacks love chicken" thing come from? Why isn't it "blacks love onions"? Aren't they also basically universal, and flavorful?

Also, the top per capita chicken eating nations in the world (besides the US) are KSA, Israel, Peru, Malaysia, and New Zealand. Hardly "black" places. Africa seems to prefer pork, mutton, and beef.

Just to get this out of the way, I am not black, nor am I white. It's not relevant what race I am, I'm just confused about this meme.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_curry
ergochef.com/blog/history-of-fried-chicken-spotlight-on-chef-duff-goldman/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Basically, American southwest cultural patterns are responsible for most attitudes towards blacks in America, and the stereotype there is that blacks love chicken.

Its an American stereotype, just like how blacks love water melon even though Africa does not grow them.

racist americans and businessman
targeted black ppl for profit

Because black americans love chicken above all other foods. It doesn't apply to africans so much cause they only have mud pies to eat.

> That being said, where did the "blacks love chicken" thing come from?

Because there are tons of chicken chains in the south, and even more around black neighbor hoods. It's cheap to buy and has a stupid high profit margin. I grew up in the south, the amount of blacks buying chicken compared to white is night and day.

Yes but who doesn't love chicken? Is there anyone? Do whites not eat chicken in the southwest?

Everyone loves chicken so shit streeotype

I FRICKEN HATE THIS RACSIST MEMES!!!!!!!

THE NEW MEME SHOULD BE "PEOPLE LOVE CHICKEN"

GOT IT!!!!!

It is not just any chicken which the blacks love but particularly fried chicken.

I have never met a person in my entire life who didn't love fried chicken.

So chicken is bad in murica because blacks like it, and therefore it's racist to say blacks like it because blacks should only like good things, like not chicken?

Was America invented by contrarians from /b/? Can't you just enjoy stuff without introducing all your fucked up racial baggage?

No, unfortunately. It's almost as if the country was literally founded on racist ideals.

Bullshit. I live in a southern state with a 40% black population and I see as many white trash as blacks lining up at fried chicken chains. Stop pretending the white race is superior when you have a population of 50% white trash in the south, a significant number of the females who choose to bed with the nignogs.

Somehow probably I think the Jews are behind it

when southern cooking was first developing, chicken was about the fanciest food poor black people could ever hope to get, so they'd get excited about some fried chicken which seemed bizarre to white people who thought of chicken as regular boring fare, the cheap meat you would get when you couldn't afford beef.

wrong

oh that actually makes sense

chicken was actually less economical until industrial agriculture.

Nice argument, faggot.

the "blacks love watermelon" stereotype happened because slave owners would often let slaves grow and sell watermelon as a sort of side gig, and most of the time slaves would get a day off for to eat some of the first watermelon harvest.

After emancipation, sharecropping watermelon was a popular choice for freed slaves, and it became a point of pride to sit out on your front porch and pretend to be fancy white folk while you eat your watermelon.

Almost anyone could just raise some chickens. You'd mostly be getting eggs out of them but eventually you'd eat them too. And for poor blacks that was one of the few times they'd get access to proper meat, while for the white folks it was just.. what you did. Nothing special.

>the "blacks love watermelon" stereotype happened because slave owners would often let slaves grow and sell watermelon as a sort of side gig, and most of the time slaves would get a day off for to eat some of the first watermelon harvest.
wtf i love massa now

>So chicken is bad in murica because blacks like it, and therefore it's racist to say blacks like it because blacks should only like good things, like not chicken?

nigger logic

>wtf i love massa now

African niggers have new massas to worship now.

All the food stereotypes developed after the civil war when blacks started migrating out of the south and into the cities looking for work.

They were raised on the same southern diets as poor whites, and when they left the south, they brought their dietary preferences with them. Since northern cities had a lot of n00b European immigrants from Italy, Ireland, Poles, Czechs, Germans, etc, that weren't familiar with southern American cuisine, they started to associate that southern cuisine with blacks, and those stereotypes began to spread over time.

Fried chicken, watermelon, collard greens, chitlins, ham hocks, cornbread, okra, black eyed peas, and many other dishes are common among ALL southerners, black and white alike, but it was largely blacks that migrated out of the south, and not whites, and they're largely responsible for introducing those foods to those dirty yankee wops, kikes, micks, spics, and krauts.

movies really play up the whippings and beatings, but it was more like a fraternity/sorority where the slaves are always pledges. Yea you have to beat a few of the new ones every season to show you're not afraid to do it, but its just common sense to not damage your farm equipment if you don't have to, and especially good sense to treat your farm equipment well enough that it doesn't mutiny.

t. Attorney General Jeff Sessions

>southwest

It's the South. Also it is because the South was settled by Scots and Scot Irish. The Scots invented fried chicken in the Western world and introduced it to America. The slaves the Scots owned, the servants the Scots employed, made fried chicken.

kek

Lots of "soul food" was actually introduced by the British. Mac and Cheese, chitterlings and deep fried chicken being the main ones.

If you're so sure you're right and blacks eating fried chicken and watermelon is an inaccurate stereotype then why are you intentionally misrepresenting the argument

desu if i had cute nigresse slaves i would whip them all the time until their black asses are bleeding

Topkek

...Are you retard
Watermelon is an Africa fruit you fools, no matter how hot it is outside if you break a ripe watermelon the center is always cold that's why it was so loved
No

Blacks were enslaved in a multitude of occupations chief among them as chefs and cooks. So while yes certain dishes derive outside of Africa they are still black American cuisine dishes as much as katsu, tempura and Japanese Curry is Japanese.

>Japanese Curry is Japanese.
Literally a British dish when the British sailors used to spice up their tinned stews.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_curry

>no matter how hot it is outside if you break a ripe watermelon the center is always cold that's why it was so loved
>ambient temperature doesn't effect things in that environment
>watermelon is grown in full sun

Hmm, makes sense.

>what is heat circulation
>what is xylem

if you put virtually any object outside in full sun, all day, the inside is going to be cooler than the outside. Watermelons are watery and stay cooler longer, compared to say, strawberries or apples.

Definitely. Any race would do but yeah

No it doesn't make and sense because you can't write coherently

it was becouse everytime you get to KFC
there are lots and lots of black people there.

the real question is the watermelon stuff , that i don't get

>They are still black American cuisine dishes

Nope.

They're SOUTHERN dishes.

The slaves that worked in the kitchen were told what to cook, and how, by their white owners. The field slaves themselves ate the same shit poor white trash ate, which included every piece of a butchered animal, and the cheap pieces of meat that didn't sell as fast, or that wasn't worthy of being eaten by the slave masters.

There's no such thing as "black" American cuisine, because whites ate the same shit. It's just southern cuisine.

Just a stereotype for african americans, who also embrace it because who the fuck dosen't love fried chicken? I'm literally eating some bojangles right now.

t. black guy

t. Jesse Jackson

Because it is nothing to raise a few chickens, and are easily self-sustaining. even slaves could have a couple yardbirds and gather eggs since chickens do not need much. Same for 80% of whites.

Hogs take up too much resources, so that is why you have jowls/chitlins/feet are the food eaten by blacks and poor whites. Even "middle-class" whites probably only had a couple hogs.

Beef was very expensive in the South, and front cuts were reserved for the (((whitest))) plantation owners, and the rest went to other rich whites.

tl;dr

Chicken is the ultimate cheap food that happens to be delicious.

That's one of the things I've never gotten about it
>black people love fried chicken
fucking of course they do, everyone with taste buds loves fried chicken, that shit is great.
Except fried chicken breast, chicken breast is awful in all situations

Great, Sir Newton, try it. I grow the fuckers and have cut a ripe one in the middle of the day. Cool in the middle? Different temperature from the ambient 95F? Nope.

But you don't believe it so buy one this summer, set it on your porch, or balcony since you probably live in an urban shithole, in the hot sun which is how they grow and insert an instant read thermometer around 3:00PM and try to argue the temperature is not the same as the ambient temp. Moron.

>raising hogs in the 19th century

You act like people kept them in a pen which wasn't the case at all. They turned them out into the woods to forage and tracked them down in the fall to butcher. Hogs ran wild through the streets of towns eating garbage, which is well documented. They cost nothing except the energy to track them down.

Japanese Curry is recognized as being part of Japanese culinary traditions adopted from elsewhere and worked in such a way to be completely immersed within foodways just as Tempura and Karsu are despite originating with portuguese contact.
No dumbass I'm talking about it growing on the vine, the heart is still cool in the center.
Nope and also not really

>a celebrated artiste ... as highly accomplished a proficient in the culinary art as could be found in the United States

That was Hercules slave chef to Washington, a well known or highly prized chef were amongst the highest bidded slaves, there were also a litany of hawkers of things such as beignets and a host of other dishes that were sold by black women almost exclusively as well as nearly every eating establishment with either bought, rented or freed blacks cooking.

Even southern Kosher cuisine was a result of black ingenuity and is recognized amongst the old and secular families today.

While Europeans did indeed eat the same foods, things such as peanuts, sweet potato, dasheen, mirlitons, sorghum, watermelon, eggplant, deep frying techniques, use of chili peppers and spices, rice were all within the everyday diets and variation of West Africans even before enslavement to the Americas via Portuguese agriculture trade and indigenous African agriculture (rice, sorghum, Palm oil as a deep frying medium, etc...) There is even if I recollect a squash that was recognized as being highly favor amongst Africans and associated with them that was noticed as such a couple centuries ago that now many southern eat. It is an example of black southern foodways percolating into the diet of the South.

Virginia Peanut soup is a direct derivation of peanut and before that Bambara nut stews,

>That was Hercules slave chef to Washington

Where do you think Africans learned how to cook the American dishes? Africa?

Fuck no.

They were TAUGHT how to cook BY WHITES, and they in turn taught the new blacks brought into the kitchen.

>use of chili peppers

Chili peppers are a NEW WORLD species, exported around the world by Europeans after 1492.

Let me guess, your ancestors were kangz n' shit, right?

They were taught to cook white dishes but that doesn't mean they stopped making african dishes for themselves (albeit with some substitute ingredients)

>things such as peanuts, sweet potato, dasheen, mirlitons, sorghum, watermelon, eggplant, deep frying techniques, use of chili peppers and spices, rice were all within the everyday diets and variation of West Africans even before enslavement to the Americas

sweet potato, chili peppers and peanuts are all new world crops and thus were definitely not "within the everyday diets and variation of west afticans"

The use of European ingredients and techniques existed for over a century with contact between Portuguese and African peoples.

Still a European component to a dish whether ingredient or technique does not make it not black. Just as Tempura is not European simply because it was brought and taught by Portuguese.

Just as anything with tomato doesn't make Italian food Aztec or Irish food Incan for it's use of potatoes.

The use of peanut, chili, corn and sweet potato as I already state occurred in the new world and was disseminated long before the southern United States ramped up enslavement. The enslaved populations were fully aware and familiar with these plants. Corn, peanut, cassava and sweet potato led to the population explosions that provided the numbers for later captured and sold people's.

You should take time reading the records of Portuguese and the Eurafrican populations of West Africa relating to food.

Because you clearly don't know what you're talking about

It's very important to maintain discipline

>that doesn't mean they stopped making african dishes

I guess they went to the "African" section of the piggly wiggly when they went shopping, right? You truly are delusional.

>Still a European component to a dish whether ingredient or technique does not make it not black.

No, what makes it "not black" is the fact that they were taught how to prepare meals for whites, using ingredient provided by whites, used by other whites, in a white society that enslaved them for labor.

>Because you clearly don't know what you're talking about

Sure, "kang".

We're done.

>That being said, where did the "blacks love chicken" thing come from?
Okay, since nobody said it yet, though a few got close, here's the reason:
Chickens were one of the very few things African slaves were allowed to own. So naturally they'd feature heavily into their diet, and since they were so cheap to own and feed and were one of the things they knew how to do well they'd continue raising them even after abolition.
Add to that the fact that frying was already a part of food culture in Africa which they brought over it's really no wonder fried chicken has become a stereotype.

>KSA
>Peru
>Malaysia
>Hardly "black places"

Kek'd. New Zealand is full of chinks too.

You're mixing two different posters.

I am claiming soulfood/black food is derived from creolized origins in West Africa. That poster while agreeing with me I think is misconstruing African with black.

Regardless the cookery, foodways and diets in the South are more aligned with West African cusines blacks would have been familiar with before the white settler adopted it.

An example: In 1663 the Portuguese captain of Hannibal speaking on the provisions of captives stated

>'dabbadabb, being Indian corn ground as small as oat-meal in iron mills, which we carry for that purpose; and afterwards mix’d with water and boil’d well in a large copper furnace, till ’tis as thick as a pudding"

That's grits.

>1602, Dutch trader Pieter de Marees observed women combining corn with their local millet: soaking then grinding the two together, mixing the grains with water and salt, making the dough into balls, and baking it. For their families, Africans relied on the simplest and most common method of baking corn bread: wrapping the dough in a leaf—perhaps from a banana tree, or maybe a corn shuck–and placing it in the ashes of an open fire.

You really don't know what you're talking about, read the records, southern food as know today was the food of black newcomers and West Africans already

Nice blogpost, cuck.

God forbid the thread topic be discussed you IQ impoverished, turd

That's Jefferson Sessions III to you, boy.

Whites were inspired by blacks who were inspired by indians who were inspired by whites who were inspired by blacks.

Southern cooking is inspired by all the people living there so summing it up as one culture's creation or completely ignoring a culture's influence is idiotic.

Chicken is the cheapest and easiest farmed meat. Black people have generally been pretty poor.

Actually there is no evidence of direct native American contact. As we see nixtamilization was never picked up in Africa or even the South. That is why pellegra was so rampant.

Every single native American tribe nixtamilized corn, there is not one example of weak lye solutions or processed mineral lime being used which shows an indirect dispersal of corn via non-native people's.

This is actually not all that correct.

The chicken is a sacred animal in many West African societies especially Yoruba where a overwhelming percentage of black Americans harken from, it's use and consumption is that of a prestige animal rarely eaten for meat and when it was eaten it was the result of an offering to the gods (black roosters are the primary offerings in Voudon, white and black in Santeria to this day, when killed it's fried and distributed to the congregants)

In the deep South chickens "sacredness" transmorphed into the Sunday main meal delicacy given to the head of household or guest of honor. It was this association that gave rise to the title of chicken as "the gospel bird".

With the industrialization of food in post WWII America it's price went down and availability increased but it's delicacy status never really ever wanted which is why it remains popular today.

It's true native Americans made no outside contact with the old world, however grits and cornbread (I think) were native American even before the concepts went over to Africa. Native Americans were used as slaves too so it makes sense for their cooking to have some influence albeit however small.

blacks love deep fried chicken. not "chicken".
>southwest
southeast there are effectively zero black people in the southwest.

The use of corn in the south is more aligned with early accounts of Millet and Sorghum in West Africa. While yes native Americans were slaves the use of crops from the Americas had already taken root and deviated in West Africa by the time most Black people came to the US in plantations.

I say this as someone with roots in Virginia in the 1600s with Malagasy and Virginia tribes in my ancestry. Still we have for example the first cultivated peanut of Virginia coming not directly from central America but rather Africa know as the Carolina African Runner.

The early uses of peanut in the US was more along the lines of peanut and the unrelated but similar bambara bean such as the goober soup (goober being derived from an African word originally for Bambara before being places on peanut in the 1500s)

Fun fact: sweet potato are called yam because it comes from the Fula word nyami that means "to eat" or "food" much like rice in Japanese being so ubiquitous and essential also meaning food.

I don't know the origins, but personally, every black person I've ever known has fucking loved fried chicken, to the point they'd eat it at least 4 times a week or more.
I used to work in a hospital, and all the black nurses would get together every day and eat fried chicken for lunch. All of them. I'm not even exaggerating. Every. fucking. day. They'd take turns bringing the chicken (usually from Golden Chick or Church's).

Watermelon comes from Africa, silly.

I'm as white as the driven snow and I eat chicken at least twice a week, if not more.

Chicken is fucking good.

I eat chicken too, but they specifically ate FRIED chicken, every day. That's a specific chicken dish, not just chicken in general. All whites eat chicken too, but it's the fried chicken stigma that I'm talking about.

Most of the chicken I eat is fried [spoiler]tendies.[/spoiler] The point I'm trying to get across, is that yes, many of them do eat a lot of chicken, but so do other people because fried chicken is delicious.

I know spoilers don't work on Veeky Forums.

From what I've heard from an old boss is that when the slaves were freed they were struggling with finding an identity and fit in well with the Scots and Irish as they were practically in the same boat as them discrimination wise. They picked up the love for fried chicken from the Scots and adopted Irish last names. If there's any truth to this, I do not know.

t. Spending the night with wifes son while she goes out with her boyfriend(s)

To be fair alot of those movies come dangerously close to gore with the wippings

Chicken and watermelons were two things that were easy to steal relative to their value (before WWII, chicken was much harder to raise, and expensive.), and blacks were often accused of stealing.

Ergo, they love that chicken and watermelon.

They love fried chicken you idiot. Fried.

your old boss is a dumbfuck.

What the fuck are you people talking about? Holy fuck it's like reading a poorly edited text book.

[spoiler] they dont

That would explain Shaquile O'Neal then.

>be me
>be from Darlington, south carolina
>50% black town and heart disease death capital of the world

That's right, I grew up where more black people eat themselves to death than any other place on earth. Ask me anything. I'm an expert in southern blacks

Could you shut your fat mouth?

It's late and it's Veeky Forums, needless to say the idea that West Africans weren't fully aware of New World crops, rice, watermelon and chicken before most colonial north Americans is extremely inaccurate.

The southern foodways were shaped and formed by black hands who stirred the pot so to speak. White Southerners adopted these food practices but soul food/black food is legitimate.

it's basically just southern white people thumbing their nose at everything black people do

niggers love to steal and shoot each other and they love cough syrup and they are lazy & on welfare.
They like menthol cigarettes too.

ergochef.com/blog/history-of-fried-chicken-spotlight-on-chef-duff-goldman/
There is some truth to what that user did say actually. I never knew.

Spics and blacks galore.
Dem islander bros love their chuckun.

No it isn't. Blacks loved fried chicken. This is a fact.

So basically
*collects welfare*
you be sayin'
*impregnates your wife*
WE WUZ COOKS N SHIEET

Why do white people love bacon so much? Black people don't even think of fried chicken while whiteboys are always memeing bacon.

>Black people don't even think of fried chicken

Biggest lie ever told on this site. And this is the place that convinced the media that the OK emoji was a white power symbol.

I'd be shocked if you have ever had a conversation more than a minute long with black person, let alone been friends with one.

Basketball American here. You're either one of them white cuckboys or straight up lying. My grandma can cook some great fucking fried chicken. Accept the memes bro.

>girlfriend in highschool was half black
>go to visit her dad
>he makes fried chicken
>her grandma makes collard greens
>my white parents make homebrew beer and smoked salmon
>Mexican bud from back home always telling me about his grandmas tamales and homemade tortillas
>people enjoy making things from their cultures

Really makes the ol noggin activate and cogitate a few cycles there buddy boy.