Why do Americans seem to have such a strange attitude towards tea?

Why do Americans seem to have such a strange attitude towards tea?

You need to elaborate. What strange attitude toward tea do you think us Americans "seem" to have?

looks like a british tea to me.
American tea would have a bag in it.

Foreign objects but bewilders and confuses the American animal.

This

And inb4 "hurr durr you drink it cold and with sugar"

The only person I've seen keep a tea bag in it while they drink it is a nurse at a hospital one time and it was herbal tea with no milk. Every one I know who drinks hot tea drinks it as shown above.

In the US, drinking tea seems to be reserved for the sick and elderly, or the eccentric (Anglophiles, Tumblrinas, etc).

Apparently you also seem to still use stovetop kettles.

Nah, iced and sweet tea are great.

Everyone I know who drinks hot tea puts a tea bag in a mug and drinks it with the bag still in it.

We should be scientists

Americans are a walking meme, disregard anything they say.

>In the US, drinking tea seems to be reserved for the sick and elderly, or the eccentric (Anglophiles, Tumblrinas, etc).
It's just not as popular here as coffee. Fuck if I know why.

>Apparently you also seem to still use stovetop kettles.
That one's because most of us don't use kettles enough to consider an electric one a worthwhile purchase.

I'm assuming that's what you were referring to, anyway.

Whatever, Abdul.

>Stovetop kettles
That's odd, 9/10 my mates have electric ones and it's just for convenience because they're so cheap and do the job quick.

>Fuck if I know why
"Boston"
get rekt britbongs

Ck needs flags. This shit is stupid.

Flags would only make things worse. We need nazi mods for a few months to set things straight.

>Apparently you also seem to still use stovetop kettles.

I have an entire cabinet full of pots and saucepans. What the fuck do I need a kettle for?

In the US, it depends on your background mainly, I think. I grew up in a southern home of German ancestry, and we drank both tea and coffee. Coffee was considered more of an after dinner drink, while we drank hot tea all morning, and iced tea when it was hot outside. The one coffee exception was that we'd bring thermoses of both coffee and tea when we'd go hunting.
Nowadays, I only drink tea. Hot tea all year round, all day, but also iced in the summer. And so does most of my family. I think there's only 2 coffee drinkers left in my family.

Blame the civil war. Most Americans drank tea before, but civil war rations were packed with coffee because they ran out of tea or some shit. Then soldiers went home with a demand for coffee

I wonder

Makes sense. Kind of like how now one of the most popular meals in the US is a MRE

We ran out of fucking coffee too. Hence that burnt chicory shit some people somehow grew fond of.

I thought that was due to starvation during the great depression and such. I openly admit most of this country has lost any ability to cook.

As an Alabamafag I've had sweet tea my whole life. These days I'm a bit more health conscious, so I make it with just enough honey to alter the taste.

You're an idiot.

We're a coffee nation, I think.
Tea is for resting and conversation.
Coffee is for chugging and being somewhere way too fucking early.
That's just how it is...

This

Coffee is seen as useful while tea is something you actually sit and enjoy

I enjoy both, but I've had to switch to tea because coffee makes me shit too quickly

>In the US, drinking tea seems to be reserved for the sick and elderly, or the eccentric (Anglophiles, Tumblrinas, etc).
Naw that's just the stereotype for American tea drinking. Coffee's just more popular over here because our way of life is more geared towards constant productivity whether its work, school, or home life, with the caffeine serving as the fuel behind it all.

come to think of it
coffee shop, europe: sit down and talk with friends, enjoy life,
coffee shop in states: starbucks 'treats' and people getting their coffee on the go.

I love tea, but I can't stand sugar in it. Around here sweet iced tea is pretty popular and I find it absolutely disgusting. Unsweetened iced tea or hot tea, but none of that sweet or fruity shit. Also, I've never had milk in my hot tea. Don't really get it honestly, but maybe that'll change once I've tried it.

that tea is too strong

You keep using the word 'seem/seems'. So based just on your observation, Americans have a "strange" attitude toward tea. Because we don't set set aside special times of day to celebrate and take part in the 'event' of having tea?
I like tea as much as the next Yankee. I probably have it two or three times a week. But the USA is a coffee nation. Tea is kind of bland next to coffee.
So if by not holding tea as high and dear as we do coffee, we "seem to have a strange attitude towards it", then guilty as charged. Not that I speak for all of U.S.

pic unrelated

>my mates

You sure you're American?

As a Northernfag I only had sweet tea for the first time a few years ago, and found it disgustingly sweet. I like a little, but it was far too sweet for my taste. Seemed twice as sweet as Coke.

Why the fuck would you use a pot to boil water for a cuppa tea? An electric kettle is one of the first things you buy/get as a gift if you move out in nearly all of Europe, it's one of the few things that everyone has and is always connected and in use.

Tea drinking is reserved for the beta liberal numales which is why you won't see myself drinking it. I enjoy it in moderation but I'll be damned if some twink idiot is standing next to me at the tea shop

Cold tea is much more popular than hot tea in America. Part of the reason tea isn't as popular is because the Bongs used to tax the fuck out of tea sent to the Americas. Coffee on the other hand was grown closer to home and was much cheaper.

During the Revolution, it was considered patriotic to abstain from tea-drinking. Most Americans thus took up the drinking of coffee. After the war, tea was still more expensive than coffee and we were in serious debt so people stuck with coffee.

Couple those two facts with the additional fact that if we wanted tea shipped from the Indies, we needed it shipped around South America from across the Pacific when we could buy coffee grown in South America or Africa...

It all comes together.

It IS twice as sweet as Coke. It's no wonder we Southerners have an epidemic of diabetes and obesity. If I get sweet tea, it's half-and-half.

I love tea and I drink it all the time
I just don't like it hot because I live in Florida.
I also use a stovetop kettle because electric kettles aren't really a thing.

Tea is definitely seen as a more feminine drink over here in the states though.

Ireland reporting in.

We drink more tea as a country than Britain. Also British tea is weak. That being said, iced tea is gross. Wtf America.

what in the shit are you talking about faggot?

>Then soldiers went home with a demand for coffee

And morphine

Iced tea is for the south, where it's hot and humid as fuck. The latitude there is the same as morocco, except it's moist as hell so sweating doesn't cool you down. So, they drink cold beverages to cool off.

It's boring af. Bland, even. Just like your cooking.

im not sure but tea is for homosexuals

Only if you make it with tea bags which for the most part are mass-market junk. Tea bags tend to contain the finely ground up seconds of the tea plant i.e. bits of the stalk and lower leaves. The leaves are usually so finely ground they are just dust and lose most of the flavour but keep most of the bitter tannins.

For a good 'non-bland' tea you've got to make sure that you only use whole/most of the top few leaves and brew properly. That way you get to keep most of the flavour. That's why good tea is still pretty expensive.

Do you actually think Canadians "set aside special times" for tea?

boston tea party nigga

drinking tea was unpatriotic and seemed fruity

that was until some british guy decided to add in lots of sugar and ice to it and put it near hamburger stands

Tea is too subtle, it's more of a hobby or activity than something to consume.

We drink coffee for caffiene, with extra caffiene, overpriced water when we're thirsty, and soda if we're stupid. Tea takes time and nuance to make correctly, and also higher quality tea is important, and America gives less of a shit about quality than anywhere else.

>Tea is too subtle
Please, just stop. That's the dumbest thing I've read yet today. I strong bracing Assam tea in the morning has as much pick-me-up as a cup of coffee.

anything but rooibos is too subtle, and even then that's basically shtiwater you're paying too much for. tea is universally disgusting unless you fill it with added sugar, and then you lose all moral superiority over people who drink starbucks pseudo-milkshakes

I'm a Southerner and drink tea all the time.

Sweet Ice Tea came about in the South as a way for the landed gentry to show off their wealth. Since ice, tea, and sugar were all expensive luxuries until the 20th century.

Though I think the American preference for coffee stems from the fact that tea was controlled by the British and Coffee came from latin america.

Whenever they're not cramming Timbits into their faces.

I don't like caffeine, why would I drink tea regularly

Why are bongs, austists, and yuropoors so obsessed with the habits of Americans?

They made one for that

I wonder if the Tea Act of 1773 really has anything to do with Americans' preference for coffee today. It's a great story though. The chain reaction of mind-bogglingly stupid Parliamentary actions is fucking golden. This is why I like Americans.

You pulled that out of your ass. Everybody drinks tea

Coffee consumption was pushed and marketed rather aggressively by s.american producers. Rather than improve the quality of the beans and roasts, they pushed for higher mass consumption of mediocre coffee. Now we have Folgers and Maxwell house shit.

it's simply just not as popular as coffee. it's just a regional anomaly, I guess. for some reason, probably through advertising (?) it caught on more than tea. that being said tea is getting more and more on par with coffee here, eeevery coffee house sells all kinds of different tea as well.

Tea doesn't need sugar, and rooibos isn't a tea it's a tisane. You are a complete pleb. You should be embarrassed about your posts.

>tisanes aren't tea
do you even hear yourself

damm dude calm it down

Yes, do YOU? Tea is from the camellia sinensis plant. It's the most popular beverage in the world, after water.
Rooibos is a tisane or infusion, it is NOT tea.

that's because your "beverage" is just literal leaf water, shitskin. america has the bright idea to at least try to incorporate something into their drinks, even if it is diabeetus.

>shitskin
Nice try, kkkomrade. I'm white as a fucking grain of rice in a glass of milk in Antarctica. And I drink fucking TEA, unsweetened, like a real man. You can keep your diabeetus drinks to yourself. Enjoy your short life span.

Same. I was born in the US and my family mainly drank tea, with coffee as an occasional after dinner drink to have with dessert.

>be me
>be amerifat
>coffee is awful
>always prefer tea
however if you put milk/cream in tea you have shit taste

>Milk in tea

kys

>amerifat tealitist pretends to know the proper way to drink tea

Lads should I take some earl grey teabags in to work. They only have basic typhoo.

Most Americans don't drink tea because most Americans don't have silver tea pots, let alone use them.
Most silver in America is for ostentatious display, rather than for practical use.

Tea in America fell out of favor about the time silver tea pots did.

>Bullshit: the post

>be american
>call yourself an "amerifat"
>think coffee is gross
>prefers tea

WE DON'T WANT YOUR TAX RIDDEN TEA FUCKING BRITBONGS REEEEEEEEE

False, that's all the time

this whole thread shows a strange attitude to tea

Oh its another yuropoor bitches about Americans thread.

Tea is for women and faggots. Coffee is what men drink.

I'm from the South. If I go eat at a restaurant I get unsweetened ice tea, if they don't have it I drink sweet iced tea. I drink a black breakfast tea in the morning, decaf green tea at night (both with a bit if honey). All the tea is from a tea bag (bigelow/twinnings) and water is heated in the microwave. Coffee is reserved for mornings at work and a cup when I visit my family.

I'm Canadian

>water is heated in the microwave
Why don't you have a kettle?

we don't. we probably drink more tea than you do.