I want to read Dante's inferno what's the best translation

I want to read Dante's inferno what's the best translation

Hollander...?

Inferno - Dan Brown

Couldn't agree more. Pretty much a street map of Florence too.

I like John Ciardi's, the footnotes are a nice touch especially if this is your first step into classical literature.

Dan Brown is the greatest living writer. Anyone who disagrees is a meme idiot who thinks Blood Meridian is good. Pretentious shit.

This.

best translation, basically how dante himself would have interpreted himself into english

Devil may cry 4

This edition. Longfellow translation. But the real nice thing is an introduction from the executive producer of the game.

Forgot pic

I still don't understand why this games was made

>Dante's Inferno

What the fuck? It's 'Inferno', you shit.

Are there fighting scenes in this one?

I think it was trying to bank off the sucess of God of War. That's the impression I now have.

Bloom recommends John D. Sinclair for prose and Laurence Binyon for poetry.

>Reading Dante in translation is rarely a good experience. Even the best recent versions are not as effective as the John Sinclair prose rendering in giving you an Englished Dante.

Also check out Ciardi and Mandelbaum.

Love this edition.

I recommend NOT getting this one.

I don't remember the other one I read, but it was a better translation than this one. I think there is an infograph somewhere, ill search through my folder and post if I have.

just play the game and call it a day

>all hell is breaking loose

I am Italian, it's so cool to see that people from different parts of the world want to enjoy one of the greatest accomplishments of our language (in its early "Vulgar" form). Props to you guys.

If you understand at least a bit of Italian look for Roberto Benigni's show on the Divina Commedia, he's an amazing storyteller, you're going to love it.

Don't read it in translation, you clown.

I can recommend Mark Musa. Reads really well, extensive annotations, complete Divine Comedy, and no bullshits around the touchy subjects.

>no bullshits around the touchy subjects.

like what?

Suicidees ending up in hell for starters.

I'm an Italian, too, and let me tell ya: even modern day Italians struggle to read the commedia with annotations. It's comparable to Shakespeare-English and modern English (and even that is VERY generous). It's hardly a book you can tackle if you only sporadically know Italian, let alone if you're starting to learn it.

Oh please. English is my third language and Shakespeare is NOT difficult. It's basically the same as modern English. Something like chaucer is pretty different from modern English but even that is still pretty easy reading.

omg, is this the one with the dank illustrations? i have the everymans edition and some other one thats broken down into 3 parts with each book color coded.

Isn't there a Dante chart?

yeah, the one i've seen floating around is apparently unfinished, dude got lazy or something.

>let's read some translated poetry

You are wasting your time.

Read one of the many great and important works in a language you understand instead.

Tons of great writers in English were influenced by translated works though. Isn't it reasonable to read Dante in translation before trying to learn Italian?

Here it is, I found it on reddit

Shakespeare read Ovid in translation, but you're right user, he was a pleb wasting his time.

>but muh appeal to authority

Why don't you just go kill yourself?

Tons of great and famous writers did that as well, go ahead and follow in DFWs footsteps!

The point is that it materially benefited their own writing. Imagine Joyce writing Ulysses if he had decided not to read Homer in translation.

I'm not the other guy

Homer is ancient to the point that it is impossible for us to comprehend his language and writing and truly put it into it's context.
We can't even be sure what the words would have sounded if spoken aloud.

Anything written in Latin and anything written after the emergence of Christianity does not fall into that category.

Maybe you should look up how many languages Joyce was proficient in and studied ;)

Forget part of my post

The only thing you can do with the Iliad is get the plot and interpret it as good as you are able to

Same with all Greek theater, you get the plot and try your hardest to contextualize it, Greeks thought of of theater in the same way one might think of sporting events, to them watching a play one time and then another, and then considering it to have been the same experience, would be as ridiculous as watching a group of people race each other twice and having that be the same
The play is a one time performance that is unique and different every time

*Forgot :^)

>you can like Dan Brown OR Cormac McCarthy but not both
lel