Books that you've read that was a big waste of time

Books that you've read that was a big waste of time......................

Guinness book of world records 2004

Murakami's 19q4

You shouldn't have read it in 2016

My diary.
What a mistake.

Plato, Aristotle and biggest waste from them Seneca

Taipei

Qur'an

Hyperion

> Anything by David Sedaris
> Anything by David Foster Wallace

Same guy here. Never visit Veeky Forums post in this thread without looking at the rest of the catalog, and see no fewer than 2 other threads shitting on David Foster Wallace.

And about David Sedaris
> I'm gay and I like shopping, the book

I liked the color on the front of the book

White Noise

OP here. This damn book...

Those tabs are annoying and it's a fucking paper back. That is disgusting.

I almost feel the same way, I'm too used to things being wrapped up nicely at the end.

Until I realized there was a sequel.

V.

Wouldn't say it was a huge waste of time but it was the first book I thought of when I saw this thread.

Divine Comedy. New Life was good though.

>I agree boyo
>Are you me?

v is pinecone's third best book imo
writing my thesis on it
it's not as flashy as gr so nobody pays attention to it but it's fucking great

What is this thread

David Sedaris is good for a quick read. He's one of my guilty pleasures. The popcorn of writing

i gotta say i agree.
though, after a couple of years of mellowing in my brain, i realize how much is actually packed in the book. if i take it in retrospect as a short story collection, i can certainly understand it better. it really didn't seem cohesive without that in mind.

The Sound and the Fury. Great name, fucking retarded story.

lol you can't be serious

the same, it was boring

The Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage. It was such a shitty book that I can't even pick up the other Murakami novels that were given to me by friends.

Wheel of Time. After reading the whole series I can't help but wonder why or how I did it at all.

2666 and The Savage Detectives, they both had moments where they were absolutely brilliant but they were just too few and far between.

Agreed. The hardcover jacket design was the best thing about that book.

Better question, why would you even pick up genre garbage in the first place?

>The Buddha of Suburbia (Kureishi)
>The Immoralist (Gidé)
>Atonement (McEwan)
>Norwegian Wood (Murakami)

All complete pieces of shit. Atonement is arguably the best of the four, and I appreciate what McEwan does in that book, but I personally didn't like it and wish I had never read it.

I thought it was pretty good fantasy tbqh. Apart from book 10 that is.

I can't imagine a human being genuinely experiencing emotional investment in any of these stories. The characters are dolls and action figures; if we're lucky enough to stumble upon a story that actually has a narrative then it's probably nonsensical. I don't care what happens next or who it happens to, and that might be excusable if the style was any good, but the style is one of the worst things about it. It's like the book was written for people who sneer to one another whenever the jazz pianist deliberately plays the wrong note. This is a set where every other note is wrong and the audience never stops sneering.

Mary had a little MAGENTA
Whose fleece was soft as AN EARTHQUAKE
*winks*

I'm reading the immoralist right now, and can't see how it was a waste of time. It is very short, and very easy, and has a pretty relatable subject matter (without the pedophilia). Can't see how it's bad, unless it turns to shit in it's second half.

Budda of Suburbia is hilarious.

>David Sedaris is good for a quick read. He's one of my guilty pleasures. The popcorn of writing.
He's fun

It's not a sequel. It's the second half of the book. Hyperion is one book split across two volumes, similar to how LOTR is one book split across three volumes.

tristram fucking shandy

hated that shit

I'm curious as to what you two didn't like about it? I read it about a year ago, and although I will admit the ending was a let down, and the revelation was kinda weak, I thought it was an interesting character portrayal. The sense of despair and disillusionment felt nicely mixed with somewhat of a redeeming hopeful message that is modern life. It is a quest to recover what was once lost, which culminates in ambiguous new beginnings that may potentially make things better again for this miserable bastard.

I like Muarakami but After Dark doesn´t have a fucking sense.

So what did you not like about the first one?

one hundred years of solitude

Atlas Shrugged by Rand. Biggest waste of time, no doubt about that.

I like the film Atonement better desu

Stoner

You son of a bitch, it's incredible.

Confederacy of Dunces.

I got memed.

Moral of the story: Just because it's someone's magnum opus, doesn't make it good.

plen spotted

Patrician alert!!!

Why?

Bless Me, Ultima

The Savage Detectives. I got to 70% and fucking dropped it.

>retarded story

kek

this actually my favorite book, or at least short story collection, and I think you're right that there isn't much conventional character development or emphasis on plot, but I find a lot of the stories do have some pathos or affective element, e.g. "Cortes and Montezuma." Obviously there is a kind of pervasive irony that you find not to your taste, but that's not the same as cynicism, arrogance or obscurantism. As for the style, there's a tremendous range, so I don't really know what you're saying. Maybe something like "How I Write My Songs" are willfully awkward, but most stories are allusive and graceful, tonally and conceptually rich with a sense of fun and possibility

Against the Day by Pynchon.

Blood Meridian
zzzzzzzzzzzzVIOLENCEzzzzzzz

The unbearable lightness of being
Kill it with fire.

>Dude fucking around is bad, grow up lmao

A Song of Ice and Fire in hindsight.

I could have spent that time on some saga that has been completed.

This. Tomas & Sabine sure were some insufferable fucks.

The Alchemist.

The only reason I even finished that piece of garbage was my mother's high regard of it.

I got absolutely nothing out of it. With other mediocre books, at least I am mildly entertained, but with The Alchemist I was left only with a profound sense of regret.

to the lighthouse

I had the same experience with that book.