Who are you, Veeky Forums?

Who are you, Veeky Forums?
How are your literary endeavors going?
What will you do when you make it?

I'm a 23-year-old college dropout in Korea.
I sent a short story to a competition for a $5,000 prize and I'm working on a novel that I will send to a competition for a $50,000 prize (advance in fact) and to be published. The deadline is the 31st.
I will travel around the world and live the sustainable, successful NEET lifestyle.

Other urls found in this thread:

itinerariesofahummingbird.com/e-m-cioran.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Went from writing fanfic to being commissioned to fix other people's fanfics. 20 bucks a chapter is nice, more depending on how much I change.

I'm not a eugenic literature phenomenon, or a breakout author, but I never have to worry about money.

why do people spend money to have someone fix their fanfics?

Because of both personal reasons and yet-undiagnosed paranoia (which is personal too, I guess), I won't provide answers but, instead, words of "encouragement":

>I will travel around the world and live the sustainable, successful NEET lifestyle.

It doesn't happen often but, I, kind of, understand the feeling. I really wish you manage to live the "lazy" life, that in itself is a great achievement. Maybe, if you're interested in the topic, you could read a little on the lives of both Bolaño and Cioran, the former because, for a while, he survived solely because of his talent by constantly winning (small) prizes, though, like that, he didn't live particularly well. The latter because he considered his greatest achievement to do "nothing"*.

* "You know, I’ve written very little, I never assumed it as a profession. I’m not a writer. I write these little books, that’s nothing at all, it’s not an oeuvre. I haven’t done anything in my life. I only practiced a trade for a year, I was a high-school teacher in Romania. But since, I’ve never practiced a trade. I lived just like that, like a sort of student and such. And that, I consider the greatest success of my life. My life hasn’t been a failure because I succeeded in doing nothing." itinerariesofahummingbird.com/e-m-cioran.html

I'm a 21 year old Australian neet. I can't write for shit but i enjoy reading and do it many hours every day

>Who are you, Veeky Forums?
I'm 25 years old. I'm a German engineer.
>How are your literary endeavors going?
My brain is working like clockwork now, after spending years in a status of mental fog. I'm looking forward to the next two weeks. I'll find time to write and read. I hope there's snow.
>What will you do when you make it?
I'll have to make it, first. First things first. Get my lifts to 1/x/3/4, find a qt, and write one of three stories for the dust bin.

How did you clear the fog

Do you write in german?

Im a 23 year old german student enjoying reading posts about people reading more than reading itself.

why should i tell you? you wont really care about me

perth?

23 yo grad school drop out
>literary endeavours
I'm making some money on the occasional story from prizes and such, but nowhere near enough to live on.
I'm struggling to place some of my work I find to be more artistically sound, but can place my more "normal" (read: MFA influenced) work pretty easily.
>what will you do when you make it?
Probably keep my old job as long as possible because too much free time is toxic for me

I'm a 23 year old line cook from Canada.

I hope to write good poetry one day. Other than that, I would like to read all that's worth reading.

I just want a woman who actually cares about me and isn't a cheating whore.

Show us your short story dude, translated to English if you wrote it in Korean.

Please?

nice, now tell us about your lifelong passion for kpop

a sad young man, 20, that lives in Brazil and work as a civil servant

not very good, i never finish what i start

i will not gonna make it, but i should try at least to mak-

huehuehu-

20 y/o uni student in Australia, studying BA majoring in history, hope to be a teacher or historian.

I realised that I was more interested in the technical side of writing than in actually being an artist, so I gave up fiction and decided to focus on non-fiction writing instead. I did win a short story contest a few years ago, but only because no one else entered.

Hopefully work as a teacher or in some sort of historical field, publishing the occasion paper.

24 year old English teacher, went to China after university. I took this job to do easy work and have plenty of time to write, and right now I'm living in a 'quiet' suburb near Guangzhou and doing exactly that. Sometimes it's a little lonely, but I've finished one novel and a novella in my year out here so far, and I'm 5500p words into another, so I can't complain.

When I make it? Drink and women and more writing.

And to everyone else in this thread, Korean or German or Aussie NEET, keep going! We'll all make it, lads.

What's China really like? Do you ever see blatant examples of Communist oppression?

Aside from the odd urban enforcement squad bust-up (and those guys are basically locally hired thugs acting on their own) I never see much oppression. The Party is everywhere but it doesn't make efforts to be seen, odd hammer and sickle on a propaganda poster aside. My girlfriend is a member for business reasons and I didn't know for like three months. Very strange situation for a country to be in.

We do care about you, user. You are fabulous.

>Show us your short story dude, translated to English if you wrote it in Korean
Will deliver in an hour. But my English is rusty so pls be understanding.

man I'm just a hopper with not-so-great hopes

lit endeavours are more like wishes from some shaman who is too lazy to make them true. Like Morty from from adultswim getting assraped by Ricky.
I'm going to read in a just a minute someday but past few weeks been just drinking and chilling trying to understand why the fuck dylan got the noble status, my appetite has sunk to the level of kafka and bruce lee but I treat myself as neat piece of neet meat

when i make it shall drink little more and after that little less and after that shit ton of more after that I'll probably die like all dostojevsky patients kneeing down to the zeus and saying "fuck you why didn't you give me more of that electricity that's up there."

I have the non-meme/non-fad version of gluten sensitivity. Doing sports has helped a lot, too.
Yes, of course. Anything else would feel wrong.

What do you study?

>itinerariesofahummingbird.com/e-m-cioran.html

>"Because Valéry, who wasn’t a philosopher but who had a bearing on philosophy all the same, wrote a very pure language, he had a horror of philosophical language. That jargon gives you a sense of superiority over everybody. And philosophical pride is the worst that exists, it’s very contagious. "

Damn, this guy nails it. Might read him in the future. It really is pretty much just messing around with not-so-literate guys that are there but who anyway have that sort of a thought for ideas and themes in a greater sense. Many times those textes are also shit painted with vocab. This seems especially true with the "modern" contemporaries.

Gimme a qt asian gf that would love me. Fuck your xenophobia

UWA?

[December 15th, 2016]

I support the wine bottle with one hand and tilt its neck with the other. I give a little snap to my wrist and the wine falls down into the glass like a waterfall. The women is wearing a ring on the hand supporting the wine glass. The ring reflects the light of the lamp hanging low above the table from the ceiling.

She says, "It really is red."

The man says, "I know right? It's Cabernet Sauvignon."

I suppress a smirk. I savor the emotion surging withint me. As bitter as Cabernet Sauvignon. It's a mixture of rage and sadness with an aftertaste of fear. But I pay attention to keep my face smiling. The shaded lamp is designed to illuminate the table only, but it is better to be careful. You don't know when you will run into an asshole.

Mindlessly staring at the roast halibut before the woman, I almost pour too much wine. But she doesn't seem to notice. "Enjoy your time." I say and go back to the kitchen. I am always dazed when I get into here, where everything is silvery and noisy, from the restaurant all dark and quiet.

Someone taps my shoulder. "This. Table Four." They disappear before I see who it is. On the marble table, several shrimps lying in a puddle of sauce after having been seasoned and stir-fried look at me.

#

I get into my neighborhood. I need to walk for quite a bit after getting off the bus to get to the uphill street where my apartment building is. It's been 3 years since I lived here but I can barely walk when I get to the building for my body's lower half is full of fatigued pain. I grasp my knees and pant like always. My breath becomes fog and escapes me to join the winter.

Then a voice says, "Are you having fun?"

I stand upright and look around. I was startled more because the voice seemed to be coming from someplace close to me. Nothing is in the cars parked under the apartment building. No one is within the area lit by the pale lights of the parking lot lights. There is no one near the hedge beyond the flowerbed. No one is on the uphill or downhill.

"What are you looking at?"

Yes. It was as clear and loud as if someone was speaking into my ear. I stand with my back against the wall and look around.

"You are such a coward. That's why you live like that."

He is not speaking into my ear. The voice is as clear as if a radio was talking inside my head.

"For today, you can just..." The voice says and I cut him off. "Who are you!"

The voice answers. "It's past midnight. You shouldn't be shouting. The neighbors might wake up. Go home, for today." The voice is at the same time arrogant and stable. It's as if he's thinking he rules the world. I hurriedly enter the password and rush into the door as it opens and leapt up the stairs and enter the password again in front of my studio and slam the door open and jump into the bed. Even the doorlock gets to lock itself, I am already cowering at a corner wrapping myself up in a comforter. My heart beats and cold sweat runs down my forehead.

#

I open my eyes. Blue light of dawn is filling the room. I fumble my smartphone to check time. 6:16 AM. I get to work by 2 PM so I sleep until 9 AM normally. I sigh. Once I wake up, I can't get myself back to sleep. I will be working sleep-deprived today, again.

I touch my hair. It's still sitff with wax. "Fuck." I check the pillow. I sniff the cover. Wax is all over the cloth. What could have made me fall asleep without washing my hair? I rememer the voice in the parking lot. Spooky. Suddenly the blue light in the room feels shady. I feel like something is looking at me from within the darkness I see through the bathroom door that is ajar.

I get up quickly and close the bathroom door. I did not turn on the heating system last night. I don't even feel like I ever slept. I press the heater button in the wall. It takes a while until the room gets warm. I don't want to stand shivering after showering in the chilly room. I decide to do something else until it gets warm. A full garbage bag is leaning against the wall next to the door. I put on outwear and go out holding the garbage bag in one hand.

I throw the bag into the container. As I goes back to the building, the voice says, "Did you sleep well?"

I freeze. It sounded as clearly as if my head itself was a speaker.

I ask, "Who are you?"

"What about you introduce yourself first before I do?"

An arrogant and sure voice of a man. But is it a man? Somehow it sounds a bit neutral, gender-wise.

I say, "Go fuck yourself." I look around the parking lot and the street. I am not scared now that it's light outside. I am shivering but it is from the cold, not fear.

"That was a bit rude."

"What? Who are you? Show yourself."

"I am here."

I look around. No one is here.

"Down."

I look down.

>Complete my novel
>Try to find an agent for it
>Can't
>Novels of far poorer quality than mine are getting seven-figure advances, winning prizes, and making "Best of 2016" lists

>Novels of far poorer quality than mine
Source?
What criteria?

Same reason people pay editors to fix their books before sending them to a publisher.

no im not
im just a dumb ball of envy and expectations like every other monkey on this planet
anything about me that youd like to hear is a lie

This, t b h.

Don't be that fag.

I'm a guy in my mid 20s trying to finish school so I can provide for my wife and start a family. Hopefully I can actually find work once I'm done with school. I haven't had time to write at all. Not sure if I will make or it even if I would know if I had. Might move to Korea for awhile with the wife.

He can be that fag all he wants. You can't say your book is better than the ones getting these huge advances because you have a clear conflict of interest. The only objective standard any outside party can go by is that your book hasn't even been picked up against the huge advances other authors are getting, along with their accolades. So really, the most likely scenario is that your work is shit and theirs is good.

Gib qt korean gf

Quality is a spook. You're not as special as you think you are. There will always be markets for fantasy, erotica, and easy reading.

Mathematik, Musik, Politik Lehramt in Kassel.

I've studied something different before, so the constant feeling of being treated like a pupil lets my mind work in some kind of standby-mode and my peer group isn't intellectually inspiring for me, so I really look forward to get done with it.

>tfw no qt traditional Chinese gf

30 year old autism wizard in the american heartland living off SSDI/SSI and supported housing. I work 4 hours at a nearby college doing odd jobs with a job coach and stress about spending all my money on food.
Spent 95 bucks in the past three days on delivery pizza. Have plenty saved, I can wipe it out in an instant. The struggle is real.
3 months since I started writing beyond journaling.
141 poems, not sure if they are good but I post them online and never got a single negative of neutral comment. 3 anime fanfiction type stories I posted online at a major fiction aggregation site for that sort of thing. One is a finished novel that is psychology mixed with litRPG elements via character thoughts. Needs a lot of editing still. Couple non-fiction articles I did on another free posting site and a bunch of random experimental stuff.
I had a serious honeymoon period with my novel where it became the coolest thing ever. I'm not sure if it gets any better than that, from now on it's basically the rush to see how much I can impress other people with my work.
As for money, I'm not willing to do promotion or submit my work for publishing until I feel proud enough of it. It's a nice feeling that maybe someone is enjoying my stuff out there.
My dream would be to make something that people really fall into. Something like Redwall, especially that series, with lots of great characters that leap off the page.

Rickson?

:^)

The food you make is art and you seem like a nice guy :)

Best wishes -

Snapfam

pelican?

Because some people really care about their fanfics

I'm also Korean. Never thought I'd come across another English Veeky Forums poster in the country. Where do you live? Down South or the upper region? What books do you tend to favor & where do you get them? I used to frequent Kyobo Books a lot but frankly their foreign section is pretty lacking. Now I just order physical copies online. It would be cool to talk to you, man.

>Where do you live? Down South or the upper region?
Seoul.
>What books do you tend to favor & where do you get them?
I enjoy the literature of the world. Turkish, Russian, French, German, etc. I don't tend to get fixed on one author. I am not fond of "canonical" literature written by English-speaking dead white males. I try to maintain balance.
I read books written in Japanese and Korean in Korean and books in European languages in English.
I mainly use the Kindle app on my high-end smartphone. Tacky, I know. But I've somehow accustomed myself to reading with one hand in my rocking chair.
I recently read quite a lot of Korean literature too. It ia becoming less shitty these days.

Not him but holy shit, are you part of CWAP?

DMV?

Im pretty new to Veeky Forums. After years of /a/ I realized that Veeky Forums is a fine addition as I love to read and write.

Im 25-years old student in Germany. When I was 17 I won a literature price in a city-wide competition. It was merely concidence that I actually participated. I realized I actually really good at this and I love it. Today I write fanfictions on fandoms I love. I also have a half-raw script I am planning to publish in the next years.

Just got my ATAR score and I'm hoping to go to UWA next year. Are the newsletter and lit clubs serious English student business or pretty chill?

So you don't like 99%of Western lit prior to 1900?

fuck Cioran, he spent all his life as a wannabe student. he's like those people in their early 30s who still look back on their high school years as if they were the pinnacle of their existence.

>that 1st person narrative and the use of present tense
ugh

Yeah man, you CVQG?

Shit, what's your HUM#?

478037. Meet me at the vending machines in 10?

After high school I stopped writing because there was no longer a built in audience. Whenever I write, I can't tell if it's good or bad. Could go to community college but I do too much coke and drop out of commitments.

I do stand up comedy. You find out quickly if what you've written is effective and the intimacy of the audience in a live performance, as opposed to a written work, is something I really enjoy. Focused on making a regular paycheck rather than starfucking and getting famous. I think it'd be cool to go back to school after I get myself in a stable place. But in comedy that means another fifteen or twenty years so I'm putting all my focus into this.

Any good Korean fantasy or Sci Fi out there?

it sounds better in korean. english feels childish in the 1st person.

Lee Yeongdo? altho i don't like korean fantasy.

배명훈 (Bae Myeong-hoon) is a fine contemporary sci-fi writer that Korea has to offer. But none of his works is translated I think.

I like old French lit. Also Norse literature. I like South American lit.
I just think dead white male English literature is overrated because English is really widespread and America is dominant in today's world.

C-Can I be your peer group? Should we ask him to join?
>d.Fü.w. pic related will never be the clubhouse for your "Anonyme Literatur deutscher Interessenten"
Ich frage micht, ob ein deutscher Veeky Forums-Zirkel dauerhaft bestehen könnte.

B&, also yeah they're pretty chill, most things not involving business school are

Which ones?

>Are the newsletter and lit clubs serious English student business
no. the attitude over the student publications is overly relaxed if that's what you were asking
>or pretty chill?
It varies, some of the people are relaxed, others are overly polemical. (think the self flagellation over the prosh debacle 3 years ago). If you're happy to tow the leftist line you'll be fine.

In my experience the best faculties and cohorts to get involved in are in languages.

finally, the tav is your best friend when it comes to meeting people, just expect to sift through a whole bunch of weird cunts in your first year

thoughts on Zero books

English degree w/ writing emphasis.
Working on a hopefully popular, money making fantasy book.
If I make it, I wil have lots of sex with my qt fans

Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it. Best of luck.

a cobalt vector riding a rare telluric current