We're in 2016, approaching 2017 and the distinction between truth and untruth has been fully disrupted...

We're in 2016, approaching 2017 and the distinction between truth and untruth has been fully disrupted. Half of the nation believe the experts of climate science and the other half believe it all to be a hoax, a conspiracy theory. The enlightenment is over, isn't it obvious? Wouldn't another dark age be inevitable? We are image saturated. Bored out of our minds. The threat of bear attack or famine has all been wiped away, so here we sit with no incentive to keep a correspondence between reality and our mind.

LOL FAKE NEWS
POST-TRUTH SOCIETY
THIS IS A NEW THING, BE WORRIED
PLEASE SHARE THIS ON FACEBOOK

Actually brought me into contemplative mood

“There are eyes everywhere. No blind spot left. What shall we dream of when everything becomes visible? We'll dream of being blind.”

>implying the post-truth society is something new
xD fuck drumpf amirite

It's been so fucking annoying watching my facebook feed sperging out about these buzzwords

First major consequence ≠ increase

It's just a product of wanting to feel intellectually superior in a new way

But people have been stretching and distorting the truth since the beginning of humanity. It's not anything new. Libshits just want something to blame Trump's success on.

Did you read my reply?

this desu

"post-truth" has been the standard in politics since the 1970s with the rise of the post-left and facts were treated as secondary to political ends

It's not new, its just coming to the forefront of western politics like never before. Politicans aren't even trying to conceal their various deceptions anymore. Trump mobilised the forgotten underclasses of america through conspiracy theories, xenophobia and slander. Brexit came about because its biggest proponents made up a bunch of unvalidated statistics concerning the potential benefits of leaving the EU, driven by bombastic, nationalist rhetoric. You'd have to be pretty stupid not to notice how radically things are changing right now.

Long gone are the glory days when Saddam possessed WMDs and terrorists simply hated us for our freedom

This
Is this bait or were you born in 1998?

start with the greeks desu

It's not new, but fuck Trump, yeah. Then again, I suppose he's the president America deserves.

>The enlightenment is over, isn't it obvious?
Yes, it has been obvious since Nietzsche. Now what is your point?

Ah, to be bluepilled again

He's right though, it's been a standard right wing tactic since Italy in WW1, and it's been a thing since the ~60s in America with guys like Weyrich.

The similarities to fascist uprisings in Europe in the past is remarkable.
I mean if you look at Brexit, Marie le pen, Trump, Putin, and nationalistic parties in places like Denmark etc, all gaining support at around the same time, and all the anti-muslim rhetoric, genocide is definitely fresh on peoples minds

No, don't get me wrong. I'm a pretty liberal guy in many ways, definitely against Trump. But he's trying to imply that any of this is new as opposed to the discussion of it being revived, that's pants-on-head retarded

>implying fascism is bad

>implying Trump, a slightly nationalistic conservative, is a fucking fascist
I think the only one distorting the truth here is you

>genocide is definitely fresh on peoples minds
why does politics immediately make people just start shitting out words

Nobody outside of /pol/ or stormfront has ever considered, let alone suggested that the solution to the immigration problem is just to fucking shoot all the muslims

Nah man, first they demand background checks for refugees and then they're gassing them in concentration camps, trust me pham I know this shit

Faggots bemoaning the state of public opinion when they almost certainly know bugger all about climate science really gets my goat.

Sometimes, oftentimes, reality can be disconnected from the minds of experts. You aren't cleverer than anyone because you've wrapped yourself in cozy conventional wisdom.

And I don't see what you his has to do with literature.

Both sides of the climate issue are interpretations, but there is one fundamental difference between these two interpretations. One is bolstered by objective facts which exist outside of you whether or not you choose to give them credence or not.
Also look at the file name if you think this is off topic or doesn't have to do with literature.

>It's been so fucking annoying watching my facebook feed sperging out about these buzzwords
This, and calling Brexit and Trump's win Black Swan events bugs me to no end. Jesus, it's not a Black Swan when half of the population were supporting the cause and most of them actually saw it coming.

'Truth' is boring. Some people don't care about facts, the tangible, especially not the politics they entail. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Think it has more to do with what the media being wrong.

woah, .9 degrees higher than usual ohhh noo

fucking melting ice caps, it's that -.2 to .1 degrees celsius difference that's gonna do it, man

>America elected an idiot jingoist
>England is made up of small-minded manchildren
>these are somehow new things

2016 has been the same as every other year. Just louder.

>Trump
>more of a jingoist than Hillary "the Russians did this" Clinton
Drinking a bit too much of that MSM kool-aid, are we?

I meant genocide is fresh on the minds of people who are scared. The fact it resembles events in recent history that people associate with fascism and genocide.
I'm not concerned about a second Nazi Germany, I'm concerned about the general increase in hostility of Muslims towards Nationalists and vice versa.
It's like watching a storm coming, just a general sense of worry

my point is that all Americans are jingoists and also idiots

Nobody's going to genocide anyone you easily manipulated libcuck. People are hostile to Muslims because, based on history, Muslims are generally pretty violent. Not wanting tons of unintegrated refugees to commit crime != racism.

If it makes you feel any better, Trump is proving himself to be as much of an establishment puppet as Hillary.

>Hillary
>more of a jingoist than Donald "The United States must greatly strengthen and expand its nuclear capability.." Trump

Tell me again how he's gonna drain the swamp

>implying Trump is a warhawk
His foreign policy is more isolationist than Hillary's.

Did you even read what I said?
>I'm not concerned about a second Nazi Germany, I'm concerned about the general increase in hostility..

I don't care if the hostility towards Muslims is warranted or not, I really couldn't give two fucks, all I know is I don't want war or violence on my doorstep, that's literally all I give a shit about.

I don't want violent refugees, don't want violent nationalists, don't want violent leftists attacking whites believing they're nationalists, don't want to go to war with ISIS, don't want more racial tension, don't want Trump to build more nukes, don't want to get drafted, nada.

Trump worries me because his rhetoric is dangerous, It's less about him and more how people react to him that terrifies me. And that applies to both sides
I've seen first hand aggressive/violent behavior from both sides of the spectrum this election, people are wound up

1) Trump's rhetoric is not "dangerous". Turn off CNN and NPR and actually listen to what he says. He's not advocating violence or contention.
2) Stop being such a pussy. A constant state of boring peace only leads to corruption and stagnation. A little struggle and unrest is good for any political system. You're just too sheltered and feminized.

/thread

You probably feel really masculine, but you're a caricature. You're just appealing to raw emotion, not making any logical argument. "Oh no, not liking Drumpf means I'm not manly enough? Shit, better go kill myself, register conservative, etc..." and so on. You're basically a semi-animated puppet regurgitating edgy beliefs to prop up your half-baked ideal of masculinity and protect yourself from the fact that you do nothing of your own volition and are no more conscious than a rock.

>inb4 effeminate
>inb4 libcuck

Prove me right by spouting out buzzwords like the meaningless nonentity and robot stuck on repeat you are.

Yes because the ice caps totally melted in 2014. Truth matters ami rite?

that boring peace lead to morons like you say stupid shit like that

i hope you get drafted someday for some war and feel what's really about it.

Me too.

>boring peace
>unrest is good
Futurist pls go

grow up edgy neckbeard

Actual marine here
I am embarrassed to be fighting for people like you

What's with the reddit-tier passive aggressiveness? You're the robot here, a Last Man, so comfortable with your ideal of a pacifist, effeminate liberal society. Why are you so hostile to masculinity? Of course I'm appealing to emotion, human emotion is what drives humans.

>marine
>lit
Now thats some fresh b8

>Actual marine here
actual marine here, I cringe every time i see another "marine" on anonymous imageboards

lol

>muh nietzchee
Bad reading alert

You're literally the kid from Little Miss Sunshine

>actual marine here, I cringe every time i see another "marine" on anonymous imageboards
Actual marine here. I hurt every time I see "actual marine here, I cringe every time i see another 'marine' on anonymous imageboards" on you-can't-see-me snap-n-share sites

You have further proved yourself to be an unconscious blithering robot trying to shore yourself up against your pathetic non-entity status. I'm not at all comfortable with a so-called "pacifist, effeminate liberal society". I'm not at all hostile to masculinity. I'm not a Last Man and I've read Nietzsche the same as you (well, probably better than you since you interpret him so tritely).

Perhaps you, once, believed in these things? Try to stop projecting, Nietzschean-Masculine-RobotTM

life is just one fucking beauty contest man

all this butthurt in one post

You're attacking a strawman of what you perceive me to be. Next you're gonna tell me to go back to /pol/. Pretty boring tbqh

Not butthurt, just feel bad for you. You think you're a "man" when you're an unconscious robot. Also gonna stop posting, you can get the last word in after this if u want :^)

I guess it's mostly because the majority of tawainese image board tards invoke the military w/ some ultimate appeal to authority power (blame the red pill i guess) so whenever someone legitimately states they are a (insert branch here) it's likely to be perceived as bullshit

And also lets be real the most Veeky Forums branch is the navy by our standard conception

>everyone except me is an unthinking drone
>I am le true independent thinker
Ah, to be 15 again

>You're attacking a strawman of what you perceive me to be
Wow, it's almost as if you both could argue the same things about each other...

i'm not the guy you were responding to
try fixing ur butthurt tho

Not in this argument, but you know you've lost the argument when you have to rely on metacues somehow signfying you are the "bigger man." Like that shit just doesn't work. It only makes you look more cucky.

>but m-m-muh Hillary

spot the /pol/tard!

>mentioning Hillary in a discussion about Trump makes you a /pol/tard
You can't make this shit up

>but you know you've lost the argument when you have to rely on metacues somehow signfying you are the "bigger man
Huh, sorry, guess I should just say... I'm more masculine than him for believing what I believe? That's better, let's call it a day with that.

In fact, let's just get it straight. That guy is a faggot, and a woman. Being obsessed with Nietzsche and masculinity won't change that.

>mfw this thread

God, this kid sounds like a huge verbose egostroker.

It's a pathetic attempt at deflection which I see pretty much every /pol/tard regurgitate on every non-/pol/ board. It's not an argument. It doesn't make the criticism any less valid.

The whole "I'm gonna stop posting now" yadda yadda "you can get the last word in" shit is what i was referring to. It's a cheap, nearly unconcious cliche tactic to situate you as somehow a good debater because it gives you the facade of knowing when to stop (when in reality you've just made an ass of yourself and need a quick way out) and as somehow the "bigger man" by being the first to realize you're not going to get anywhere but in reality you just suck.

Referencing the fact that you're in a debate does nothing to advance the debate

Also, you're still posting.

>le /pol/acks did it first!

What? We literally had two options in the election (discounting third parties but who votes for them anyways). Pointing out that the other candidate was even worse is a perfectly valid argument.

>muh dark age coming
Good. We've neglected our spiritual side too long.

Not this meme again

>tfw too intelligent to vote for the rape of my nation by oil rich arabs

good for you asshat

also, my dad works for nintendo

Just to clarify, he's not the guy you were originally arguing with, that's me I don't think he has to personally advocate for violence in order to spur general dangerous sentiment with what he says, at this point all eyes are on him

Also why on earth would you ever want unnecessary struggle and unrest? I feel like you're the one who's actually sheltered

>Also, you're still posting.
Ah, but the important part of this is ... so are you. You're the referee. You're even bigger than the guy who tries to be the bigger guy.

>I guess it's mostly because the majority of tawainese image board tards invoke the military w/ some ultimate appeal to authority power (blame the red pill i guess) so whenever someone legitimately states they are a (insert branch here) it's likely to be perceived as bullshit
>And also lets be real the most Veeky Forums branch is the navy by our standard conception

Actual marine here. I hurt every time I see "I guess it's mostly because the majority of tawainese image board tards invoke the military w/ some ultimate appeal to authority power (blame the red pill i guess) so whenever someone legitimately states they are a (insert branch here) it's likely to be perceived as bullshit. And also lets be real the most Veeky Forums branch is the navy by our standard conception" on hidey-peeky-oh-so-sneaky peep-a-picture collectives.

Keep this song and dance up and I'll cum in your asshole.

>You don't like watching society collapse on itself?
>You don't like violence and war?
>Ha! what are you, a pussy?

actual retard

>Using /pol/ robot meme while excoriating /pol/

You think you're original but you're just a vacuous sum of whatever shit you've read put through your own filter. The man you're attacking just wears displays his tribe clearly.

War is never a good thing, don't fall for that mistake.

Fucking masculine idealism is equally hilarious and pathetic as it is dangerous.

>You think you're original but you're just a vacuous sum of whatever shit you've read put through your own filter
Now we're getting somewhere. Good job buddy, you're enlightened. You should now celebrate by chopping water and carrying wood.

Actual marine here

I'd like that

>people ITT actually think that half of America got it wrong
It's not a wrong/right dichotomy, it's whatever America chooses is what's right

>implying the average voter gives a fuck what pseuds on Veeky Forums, Reddit, twitter, the daily show etc think at all

>implying you and I both aren't retards

dude, you just call things conspiracy theories because they aren't considered fashionable to people in New York.

"White privilege" is a conspiracy theory
"Putin installed Trump" is a conspiracy theory

The media just doesn't call them conspiracy theories because leftists like them

Not him, but there is nothing wrong with masculine idealism in the individual.

You still haven't displayed any originality in yourself.

t. nu male

Have you?

If you're going to ego stroke yourself to psuedo intellectual nirvana through lambasting someone for a lack of originality you should probably have a semblance of originality on display.

I can agree with that. Really what I meant is how tragedies like war can be idealized as good and manly when really they represent some of the worst aspects of humanity. Of course there's nothing wrong with being masculine, it's just it can develop into something very disappointing, and even violent in society.

redirect you to moreover, I don't want to get up on a soapbox, I just like being an asshole on Veeky Forums and taking down other people's opinions. I'm going to sleep now, my advice to you all is: be less robotic, kids, and stop parroting other people's worldviews.

read

As the one first calling people out for originality, that's your burden .

Is there any validity at all to the climate skeptic/denier/whatever view? I don't really know anything about ocean or atmosphere science so I just trust what they say

Just ask yourself, did the icecaps melt like they were supposed to in 2014?

Anyone claiming the icecaps were going to melt that fast wasn't listening

Yes there is, despite what memers say.

And yes, the 97% of scientists agree meme is false entirely and anyone who claims otherwise is trying to manipulate you