He unironically studies pure mathematics

>he unironically studies pure mathematics

Just... why?

Other urls found in this thread:

iqtest.dk/main.swf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

These people were good at math in high school and think they can make a living by solving math problems.

being a math prof, even at a 2 year local college, is a pretty good job. wont get you rich, but pretty easy if you know your stuff.

also maybe they just like the subject

Because its the hardest intellectual endeavour (along with theoretical physics).

>it's hard, therefore it's worthwhile

Now THIS is what I call autism.

delte this

No, it's not. Purity does not equal difficult. Analytic philosophy is harder, as evidenced by the higher average IQ of philosophy grad students.

>people who study it tend to have higher IQ
>means the degree is harder

Some people enjoy a challenge?

Show me the source showing that pure mathematics majors have lower IQ than analytic philosophy majors.

How is that not obvious? If fewer people can do something, then it is harder.

I'm on my phone. Someone can post the IQ-by-major chart.

So you are assuming people attempt to study philosophy drop out because they can't handle it? That's a big assumption.

Sure thing...

>making drugs requires high IQ
hmm...

LOL even when you include continental philosophers, they are neck-and-neck with mathematicians. Holy fuck.

whoops wrong chart...

How is Humanities tied with chemistry?

Really makes you think.

Literally patriarchy.jpg

huh it's almost like women make different life decisions than men.

Go back to /pol/, antifeminist retard.

>Just... why?
Because it's interesting.

Across the animal kingdom typically males have a greater spread after you quantify a characteristic and look at the distribution. There are genetic reasons for this that I'm sure a biologist can explain more aptly than me.

Given this, even if the mean of the distributions were identical between men and women (for example same average IQ). Men will start to outnumber women quite vastly at the tails of the normal distribution.

This is the reason there are more retarded men and more genius men.

i can algebrate into society if i want

How hard is it to just make something up?

Any knowledge which has no use is useless.

Define "use"

>tfw the qts actually think it's cool (or at least pretend to think it's cool) that I study pure math and they think I'm a genius or some shit
It really is only about how attractive you are

Every piece of knowledge initially has no use.

Also things may have no practical application but still be aesthetically beautiful.

this

>wow user, you must be really smart!!

>which has no use is useless
How long did it take you to come up with this?

>It really is only about how attractive you are
This world is so unfair.

i kinda had authority issues back then, hated being judged by morons, and math is the most objective thing you can get - all the fuckups are mine and completely deserved.

plus i may enjoy pain - pain, pain, pain, it's all there is for me. sometimes i even have a cigarette.

I always score 107-111 on iqtest.dk/main.swf

I have a B.S. in Mathematics from UF

Explain this.

>B.S.
Lel that means jack shit.

This. FUCK normalfags.

>tfw you're making a living solving pure math problems
suck it

>>Philosophy

Man if they were smart, they wouldn't be getting a college loan for a Philosophy degree.

I wish I had been born a pretty girl every single day. Everybody pays you attention when you are pretty. I would have used that power for good.

Instead my intellect is wasted. Anybody else know this feel?

rly made me think..............
so if we remove continental garbage thinkers philosophy is probably higher on the list than Physics. wow.... But also keep in mind folks that mathematics would be higher too if u take out all the women who want to be teachers + all the finance fags

>I would have used that power for good.
yeah, by banging Chad.

kekadoodledoo

>top school in Florida
>jack shit

I ironically study pure maths. Is that better?

How exactly do you do that...?

>Because its the hardest intellectual endeavour (along with theoretical physics).

This

I don't think you realise the scale and complexity of Pure Mathematics or have even briefly glanced into it. Also your claim isn't substantiated, nor is IQ indicative of intelligence, it's pseudoscience befitting the unscientific Psychologists who parrot it. Even if it were, it isn't indicative of how "hard" a field is either.

Reminder that much of what we consider to be elementary Mathematics was once Pure Mathematics. Though I think people do it mostly for pure joy and challenge.

because I'm a recovering pseudointellectual in a mediocre graduate program.

Fucking women brainlets, get out of my field RRREEEEEEEEEE

%99.99 of physics graduates are useless. Why would you study something that you suck at?

Even the shittiest Engineering grad contributes more to modern society than a top physics grad.

>engineering
>"oh boy I'm gonna do some great shit I mean I'll develop a motor more efficient and less costly and I'll go to the moon and I'll fucking create..."
>finally graduates
>hired at a random enterprise
>spend the whole day working on excel and taking care of the sector

Yeah, no thanks. Not sure how it is in 'merica, but here in South America this is basically what engineers do, even though the course is stupidly hard. They think they'll dominate the world, but only a few will do something like that. The great majority won't.

Pure maths here btw.

I'm a community college cuck who is transferring this semester
I can't choose between UCSD for Physics and UCD for Aerospace Engineering

Which would be better?

Yeah, but like i said, you have way (like waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay) better odds to contribute something being an engineer than being a mat. Even the top IQ people (160+) have not contributed anything at all. If they couldnt, what makes you think you could? You will end up being a professor.

Am I being trolled? At least the excel monkey is doing SOMETHING.

I completely agree with you, I'm pretty sure my field is useless for the real world, and engineers are more useful in general.

The thing is, if they pay me enough (so I can pay my bills) to do my thing, then I'll do, no stress.

How do you even study something ironically
>hey guys check it out im learning "calculus" (finger quotes) pffft hahahahahaha

Pure Math is shit if you don't study profitable math courses to get a job AND become a professor.

Laughing at the ones that study Topology for example, most other math subjects are way more profitable than this, like combinatorics + some math courses, analysis, stochastic calc, etc.

If Pure Mathfags are really smart, they should know what courses could make them not become a fucking welfare faggot for the rest of their life and literally get at least 100k starting with the right courses and the right GPA.

Why do you think NSA and IBM like to get math majors? HOWEVER the don't accept anybody, they have to see what did you studied in order to get hired and have 70k starting.

>he unironically goes to college/uni

>he unironically lives with his parents

delete this immediately or else

hey guys check it out im learning "calculus" (finger quotes) pffft hahahahahaha

>Every College system is the same
I live with my parents and go to Medical School, it's the norm here

>I wish I had been born a pretty girl every single day. Everybody pays you attention when you are pretty.
People want to bang pretty girls, so they pretend to take an interest in what they say. People usually don't take a woman in science seriously, unless she's ugly.

They've been conned into thinking that just because their hobby is difficult, they will get paid for it. lol

first post best post

>Analytic philosophy is harder because smarter people study it.
As non sequitur as it gets.

Mathematicians are superior to Economists in market jobs and employers know it

I wish I hadn't studied math at all. What a waste of my life it has been. All for nothing.

I should have gone into finance like the department chair wanted me to. Too late now. Now I get to suffer the rest of my life. Yay.

Okay but we're talking about pure mathematics, buddy.

wtf if that's correct i'm slightly below average IQ for my field
but i'm sure i'm smarter than most of these fucks

>Purity does not equal difficult. Analytic philosophy is harder
philosophy is purer than mathematics

what about applied math? also meme tier?

Same. That's why I dropped out of college to become a tranny. Already actually have friends for the first time in my life. STEM males are bottom of the social ladder, laughed at int he media, underpaid, overworked, fuck it I'm cutting my dick off.

NB: this isn't a good idea for most people here, I was just intersex so turned out pretty. The rest of you have to grind on watching Chad fuck your oneitis like the losers you are.

only thing i'm good at and it's interesting. applied math and stats are so boring. idk how i will get a job with this degree tho

>LOL even when you include continental philosophers, they are neck-and-neck with mathematicians. Holy fuck.
I think you mean "even when you include analytic 'philosophers' they are neck-and-neck with mathematicians".

>all the math geniuses who were too smart to see this obvious bait

Replace "analytic philosophy" with "mathematics" and "continental philosophy" with "literally any other endeavor" and you've got a pretty accurate pic.

Aaron pls go

How can the abstractions in mathematics be sterile if "literally any other endeavor" makes use of them?

*screeches in chemistrian*

Is a math education good for anything besides being a teacher wagecuck...?

cryptography, finance, law, literally anything that benefits from being able to model problems and give numerical results (e.g. lots of biological applications like epigenetics and genomics)

Currently doing applied math with plans to go to law school. Is this a meme idea? Also is applied math a decent backup choice if I change my mind about law school?

>Is this a meme idea?
no

during my math major i took a law class taught by a law prof who had his bachelors in math

I want to be a lawyer and I'm interested in law but I just can't think of anything else to major in for undergrad that isn't completely dull. Plus I suppose if everything went to shit I could end up being an actuary or do something in finance.

>intersex
>pretty
Pick one freakshow

I have no idea what the fuck you are even saying. Can someone translate this to English?

>lack of reading comprehension

So this... is the power of STEM.

Maybe we study amgebraic geometry because we like it and not because we think it's profitable.

I pity the fool who can not admire the beauty of a representable functor.

whats wrong with that?
>a fucking leaf

I love how a mentally ill person laughs at STEM.

this
what even is the point of a philosophy degree

Go back to /lgbt/, feminist retard.

why doesnt it say the field for the other dots? which one is chemistry?
>/lgbt/
more like tumblr

clearly there's a small enclave of exceedingly intelligent people who bring the mean value up

For fun

Tfw higher iq than the physics average, architecture major. Now I understand why I'm surrounded by hippies and brainlets. Everyday I think about switching to something more difficult and interesting, but I don't want to lose my years.

As long as it took me to think of.

Working on that at the same school. How'd it go for you post-B.S.? Get a job? Grad school?

>top school
>florida