Why doesn't Veeky Forums ever talk about literature post 2000?

why doesn't Veeky Forums ever talk about literature post 2000?

don't they know that discussing anything published prior to that date is infinitely played out and just makes you look like a english lit first year

Gee let's see what's worth reading circa 2000s
Oh yeah fan fiction and racism and erotica and 600 genders and.... Oh that's why

too bad infinite meme is 1996

You'll have more luck on Goodreads with that.

>i cant be bothered to look properly therefore i'll just go and read the illiad for the twenty fifth time

why don't you post more post-2000 works worth discussing?

Mostly because it's so hard to figure out what's good without getting memed by idiots with shit taste.

With the classics, father time has sorted out most of the worst scoundrels. But reading contemporary works means wading through garbage to find the rare treasure. It's like wading through Veeky Forums itself but instead of reading, at most, 1-2,000 characters in a bad post, you could spend an entire day reading a dogshit novel before finally becoming so disenchanted with it that you have to quit.

It's "Iliad"

fucking "Iliad"

god

Because I haven't read a booked I've liked that was written after 1900 never mind 2000, for christ sake.

Lack of historiical perspective. It's hard to see what will stand, and many of us don't have the willpower to sift through heaps of shit in hopes of finding the eventual pearl. Besides it's not like there's a shortage of great books to read pre-2000's.
2666 was published in 2004
Gass, Pynchon and DeLilo are still putting out stuff and they are all regularly discussed on Veeky Forums

This

I ocassionally take recommendations from people who read exclusively contemporary Veeky Forums but I get memed every single time. At best the book is passable, at worst it's unreadable.

Haruki Murakami?

those are all americunts

BolaƱo is chilean.

krasznahorkai is goat

Because literature is shit now. We're in a creative dark age

>inb4 b-but good lit is out there you just have to look!
There's no modern equivalent to Shakespeare or Homer or Joyce. If there was, he would be very prominently discussed on this board. But capitalism, identity politics, and postmodernism is diluting art.

Mark Strand is dead, but John Assbery still lives. Psychofrenics like Annie Proulx are called prose stylists and Gen Xers are all one hit wonders. Y is autistic and Z is still in diapers. Wallace is going to turn out to be literature's Kobain - when he blew his brains out it was game over for guitar rock. Same thing for the novel. It's all iTunes now, all the way down.

There are definitely contemporary threads all the time. Ishiguro, Marlon James, and Houellebecq seem to be Veeky Forumss authors of choice, but there are plenty of great ones. Some people here shit on modern literature, but if you are looking at the big literature awards and reading through the shortlists you can get some fantastic books. Not just the Man Booker (growing more and more "sjw" as the /pol/ types say) but the Cervantes, the Russian Big Book Prize, The National Book Award, the Commonwealth Foundation Prizes, the Man Booker International etc all have varied and interesting suggestions, and if you keep your eyes on the international Journals, you can start to get a finger on the pulse of contemporary literature, and what turns heads. I just read Laurus, which won the Premiya Bolshaya Kniga, and it was top tier.

The underlying problem with Veeky Forums and contemporary literature is that there are lots of starting readers, which are currently on 1984 OMG its great, and make responses like , without having honestly started looking for gems in the literary landscape without the benefit of 75 years of modern scholarship to guide them to the next Melville, who by the way languished until DH Lawrence spazzed about him in the 20s, or the next Williams, who's works were tossed to the side like last years genre fiction. Reading contemporary fiction is an active hobby, requiring research.

woah...

Joshua Cohen has published two great novels: Wiz and Book of Numbers, but you can't talk about him because the jew memes will just drown the conversation.
Delillo last novel is great.
Half of Wallace is post 2000 and that gets a lot of attention. Mostly because of memes, though.
Knausgaard sees sporadic attention. It's all deserved imo.
Krasznoahorkai is great as another user pointed out before.
Szalay is not bad and he should be discussed more.
Jerusalem is a great novel
I could also add a lot of great post-200 italian literature, but that would be getting too specific.

>I could also add a lot of great post-200 italian literature, but that would be getting too specific.
Go ahead user, I'd like to hear it. I'm sure a lot of other anons aswell

pynchons last two novels are among the most important of the century

delillo as well

Ok, I'll give out a couple of examples before going to bed.
"La circostanza", by Di Salvia. It's a funny and challenging postmodern novel with a very peculiar style or "voice"; if you will. It's yet another novel about the 70s but it manages to not feel like another novel about the 70s.
"Cacciatori di Frodo", by Cinquegrani. It's a novella with a very peculiar writing style. The whole thing feels like one long sentence or a lullaby. It's charming and haunting.
"La scuola cattolica", by Albinati. Altough boring and banal at times, this is the only truly ambitious italian novel of the last 25-40 years. It has some classic-worthy passages about male sexuality, the mothers of the roman bougeosuie and more. The last 200 pages are especially good (as they don't come from Albinati himself)

*cont
But as a rule of thumb, if you want to read a very good novel once a year, look at the Calvino contest.
Here are some scarily accurate truths about that price: 1) most of the finalists will be decent. 2) the winner will always be one of the worst, but it'll be the one who managed to talk more about the "social" topic of the year (femminicidio, immigration, omophobia, you name it) and 3) the jury will always select or "mention" another novel. This is usually the least sellable of the bunch and usually the best by a considerable margin.

This is one of the most important novels ever written.

>With the classics, father time has sorted out most of the worst scoundrels
I think you mean old white male university shut ins. Why do you value their opinion so much user?

Not a bad idea tbqh

Contemporary novelist: "After returning from *~*~*~*~*MCDONALD'S~**~~**~*~*~*~*~ (where he ordered a ---BIG MAC--- and ][][ large fries ][][) the protagonist sat down at his desk and opened his &&& MACBOOK PRO %%%. He clicked the !!! Google Chrome !!! icon and went to his favorite website: ***YOUTUBE***.

OP: Holy shit, this is me.

Weak bait. 4/10 made me respond

this tbqhwyfam

3/10 bait

This.

Someone mention Ben Lerner already or I will.

And what do you mean, OP - we talk about Houellebecq all the time.

bump in the hopes of people recommending more recent works

Post better bait fag

Its done over and over, there are thousands of good books that have come out in the last 15 years. Read Llosa, Chirbes, Bolano, Krasznahorkai, James, Ishiguro, Vollman, Mo Yan, Donald Ray Pollock, Yanagihara, Cohen, Ferrante, Ryu Murakami, Knausgaard, Ligotti, Sebald, Cormac McCarthy, Coetzee, Naipaul...I mean Jesus Christ. Fucking DFW is contemporary and this board masturbates over his shit daily.

Because one of the best ways to hear about contemporary literature is through the recommendations of friends, and no one on Veeky Forums has any friends.

IT'S ALL ABOUT VOLLMANNNNNMMMNNNMMNNNNNMN

Solar Bones came out this year.
It's good.

Austerlitz is probably the only novel I've read published after 2000 that's worth discussing. I'm open to recommendations, if you have any.