Sub-vocalization? I am not the only one who reads a text and hears the words in my head, am I?

Sub-vocalization? I am not the only one who reads a text and hears the words in my head, am I?

I really need some help, I am scared

You are a big gay boffin.

Sub-vocalization is shit. To read out loud is where it is at, even though I understand we can't always read like that.

Did you only type those words or did you read them out as well?

Sub-vocalization is an important part of the reading process and improves memory and comprehension. Also, using your "inner ear" for reading great prose is just a pleasure.

Tap into the voices you are hearing. Ask them questions. What's their favorite color? Do you prefer a certain type of person when looking for a relationship?

Continue doing small talk and after a while start getting flirty. After about 3 months I can garuntee that you will lose your virginity to a higher being that lives in your brain.

Hey, I seen you post that image before! Is that literally the only one you have?

it's the patrician way to read. Don't listen to anything otherwise.

I have lots. I just really like this one.

>Changing the habit of subvocalization is easier said than done. You can’t just turn this voice in your head off. Instead of eliminating this habit, you want to minimize it. For example, let’s say you’re reading some text that said, “The boy jumped over the fence.” To minimize subvocalization, you might just say in your head, “Boy jumped fence,” three words rather than six words in that sentence.
I learned much about focusing on the little details of a story. Throwing out elements damages the content!

Help with what? Is there a problem?

I said them aloud when I saw the OP, then I transcribed them into text.

This might be effective for Harry Potter-tier fiction

I didn't know there was any other way to read than by doing that, other than reading out that is. I literary can't look at words without saying than in my head.

The idea that someone can minimize or eliminate subvocalization is just a meme.

It originated with the "speed reading" fad of the 60's, which is something only plebs and housewives believe in.

If you are reading literature, strong subvocalization is key to properly enjoying it. You want to hear the music of the prose.

Speed-reading/non-subvocalized reading is largely hokum, and it was designed for wagecuck drones to scan work-related documents in a robotic way. You can't read Ulysses that way.

This. So fucking much this.

So much bullshit coming from alleged "speed readers" and people trying to sell ebooks and courses on speed reading.

Speed reading is basically skipping parts of the text and calling it a day. Some skip a few words each line, some skip a few lines each page, but in the end the only thing they are doing is skimming instead of reading.

There's literally nothing wrong with this. If you don't subvocalize you're going to have huge problems if you want to start reading poetry

>You can’t just turn this voice in your head off.
What did he mean by this

>Try to read out loud
>Realize how retarded I am
Pee pee poo poo ...

i gotta say it's a pretty good image

Get your own, pal.

Completely normal. In fact, I've heard of speed reading techniques trying to /stop/ this, which I guess means everyone does it but it's still a hurdle to jump over.

I'm surprised at how many people dismiss the absence of subvocalization. The concept never made sense to me because you can't "hear" your inner voice. You imagine it, yes, but since this imagination originates in your mind, there is no reason why it should "play" at a pace that one has to "listen" to. You already understand it on some level, with the subvocalization arising as an phenomenon, not the other way around.

The total absence of any inner voice is close to impossible like a lot of speed reading gurus incorrectly claim, but it's possible to quickly read a text while only triggering some words that are then subvocalized at the expense of most of the text. Now that I engage in in some introspection, I think I sometimes read through a text quickly while I subvocalize at a fast pace. But if I were to listen to someone speaking at a pace that fast (like 800+ wpm) I wouldn't be able to understand anything but gibberish. What happens when I read quickly is that I "hear" a mishmash of sound that has a certain timbre and is associated with a type of person (that at the very least, is identifiable as male or female), but it's more like a bunch of glossolalia that only reveals itself as incomprehensible when I focus on it. If you've ever heard someone sleeptalk, it kind of "sounds" like that.