/wprg/ War and Peace Reading Group: Day Eight

The reading for day 8 is B2 Part 2 Chapter 1 through (and including) Chapter 13, pp. 371-420.

If you can, please write up topics for discussion for today.

>New poll for day 8
strawpoll.me/11967204

>Ebooks and audiobook
mega.nz/#F!4QVj1b4B!BMF7h3um_c5qWHQCP_aw6g

Previous threads

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11969151
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for Dostoevsky

>tfw no Marya waifu

V E R A

I'm not gonna make it. Too many books. Can't keep up.

yes you are user you are going to make it

do it for you're waifu

Reading schedule

WE MASONS NOW

>It was as if the thread of the chief screw which held his life together were stripped, so that the screw could not get in or out, but went on turning uselessly in the same place.

Now that is a beautiful metaphor

>He now felt so glad to be free from his own lawlessness and to submit his will to those who knew the indubitable truth.

Everyone that finds religion. Or a cult.

not if you make your own religion

Who is /ourguy/?

strawpoll.me/11969151

Natasha is the GOAT waifu

You'd have to include Anatole for me to answer that without lying.

The guy most closely resembling Veeky Forums is Pierre.

The one I most closely relate to is Andrei.

/ourguy/ is Sonya

how the fuck do you read so fast? are yall NEET or something

It's an hour or two a day at most. Most wagies spend that much time on their video games or netfixes

These threads are going to implode when "it" happens

I'm not playing games and watching a series in my free time.
I only read at night. One hour to read Fifty pages. There's the catch up days too. The book prose isn't hard.

It amounts to 1-2 hours reading each night.

The average american:
>watches tv for 5 hours a day
>and spends over an hour on their smartphone

Overall, they spend over 9 hours a day consuming content from tv, phones, computers, and radio.

So swapping a few hours for reading is not impossible, though it is uncommon.

I think the biggest switch you need to make is to enjoy reading. If you enjoy reading, it doesn't feel like a chore you need to clock it. It feels like a leisure activity you want to do.

>Le Roi de Prusse!
Ippolit's autism is off the charts.

I never imagined we would have masons in this book. Caught by surprise.

I'm glad Pierre has turned a corner and found new purpose. 'Tis a pity he's stuck with that shallow cunt of a wife.

Andrei is /myguy/ till now. I'm eager to see what happens to him.
We still haven't read half of the book, but the characters already have huge growth. I already know somewhat of the history from the napoleon wars, but it's still a mystery how these events will affect them.

i've accidentally read so far ahead because i was on vacation and overcompensating for possibly falling behind.

literally what are you talking about, i'm so eager to discuss it all but i don't want to spoil anything.

is it andrei's engagement to natasha?

can someone tell me the last thing that happened for today's reading? i'm in book eight of the great books edition, maude translation. it has two columns on each page, so the overall page count is under 700.

How far along are you?

It was Andrei and Pierre talking with Marya and her "God's People". The old woman gets offended by a joke and Pierre says he's sorry.

Also, the encounter between Pierre and Andrei was so good, so true to life. You get that strange feel when you haven't see someone for some time and big things happened in your life, how difficulty it is to say what happened. But then the conversation starts to flow and you see again the old intimacy with this person that was almost a stranger on the first glance. So well written by the writer.

>‘No. All I say is that it is not argument that convinces me of the necessity
of a future life, but this: when you go hand in hand with someone
and all at once that person vanishes there, into nowhere, and you yourself
are left facing that abyss, and look in. And I have looked in . . .’
>‘Well, that’s it then! You know that there is a there and there is
a Someone? There is the future life. The Someone is—God.’
Pierre, you fat dumb, he's not talking about god...

is that fact legit?
if so holy fuck I can only do 16 and even then i'm floored by it

Not American but between work, eating, sleeping and caring for my kid I have about half an hour combined free time per day to read anything. I've given up on the news and all other reading to concentrate on this book, and I'm still 200 pages behind.

>tfw

>Having a kid

Pleb as fuck

Andrei's death prob.

Even with spoiler text it's probably not a good idea to post that

Pfft, spoilers are for fags.
>reading for the plot
Plus you fags spoiled Lise's death for me.

Since we're doing spoilers

napoleon ain't shit

FUCK

YOU

>I myself thought like that, and do you know what saved me? Freemasonry! No, don’t smile.

>that friend that starts to talk about his new cult shit when he sees that i'm in hard times
I know that he just want to help, but good god.

I was busy yesterday so missed the reading but have finished it now.

Finished the reading for day 8.

Words read on day 8: 22,026
Time taken: 52 minutes

Total words read so far: 178,227
Total words in book: 563,286
Total time taken so far: 7 hours 29 minutes
Approximate total reading time: 25 hours

We have now read as much as Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, or The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.

im not a native english speaker so 50 pages takes me 2 hours at the very least :(

Is there no translation in your native tongue?

NEW THREAD
NEW THREAD
NEW THREAD

I'm not a native english speaker too, but i'm okay with the prose of the book. It's not hard.
I'm only reading in english because now i don't have the means to read the best translation in my native language (portuguese), see if you can find a good translation in your language and try to read with us. The reading schedule is divided in chapters, so there's no problem.