Why do most people just shut off their brains when they see math above the level of arithmetic?

Why do most people just shut off their brains when they see math above the level of arithmetic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wlOdUATGuQY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

because they had shit teachers that taught them to memorize everything and understand nothing, so math is traumatic to them and they're rather ignore it

Because math is freedom and they do not want to be free.

wow that was reasonable. i was expecting something about normies and being inferior etc.

Mathematik macht frei

> A = 2pi*r^2
pathetic

it's intimidating, so fight or flight kicks in.

It takes effort to parse. Not only that, but if one cannot do it, it might expose to oneself they are an idiot, even if that's not necessarily true, so they just avoid it.

Nothing is more annoying than trying to explain something to people that requires a bit of math and you can just feel them fight against the concept of thinking about numbers though. They want the quick "I got it" so they don't put mental energy into it, keep getting shit wrong without properly thinking it through, then going "SEE, I TOLD YOU I WAS SHIT AT MATH."

Because they are inferior, mentally lazy PIGGOTS

Jedem das seine

This is true. I was tutoring a friend in algebra and they seemed much more fixated on declaring themselves stupid when they fail a solution rather than enjoying the journey and being proud at improvement and figuring things out. This varies by personality but our culture is so centered on instant gratification that this will only get worse overall, with those who can still have attention spans and do the hard thinking reaping rewards (in due time)

Because it's like seeing a foreign language. It feels intimidating and obscure.

It's worrying how the average person probably wouldn't even understand anything in this picture despite the fact that they are the fundamental laws of exponents which are taught in early high school.

Because most people aren't turbo autists like anons itt who think math is scary to laymen

There is nothing to understand in math. It's biology tier memorization.
Physics on the other hand actually makes sense.

>physics
>not calling it math for dumb people (because that's what it is)
Ayyy lmaoing at your life
(funnily enough I'm writing this while at the physics department)

Have you ever tried the IMO. With your skills you'd definately get the gold.

You think this because you've only ever reached the biology tier memorization part...because that's all you need for physics.

Good luck with your continuing inability to prove anything and having to be shown what to think about by mathematical models.

which is harder? Nobel prize in physics or fields medal

Why do you post the same thread every week?

Fields.

Math is a far more exacting field and you can only win a Fields medal before you are 40 so you have a limited window in which to win one.

Have you ever tried the IMO. With your skills you'd definately get the gold.

>There is nothing to understand in math. It's biology tier memorization.
written by a person who has no clue about mathematics and never proofed a single thing.

because those brainlets are too shit at math and have an iq of 100 or less.

too deep not to be true

Math is the only thing in this world that can keep you sane.

>There is nothing to understand in math

Because people call you a retard if you get a math problem wrong, so people tend to avoid math because of that.

i dont even care. i just wanted to be part of the screenshot

>trying to make out physics isnt memorization
>reaction image shows biology tier memorization

well meme'd

Because no one ever explains what the symbols are referring to in equations/formulas, so it is essentially like looking at a foreign language.

This ten fold

>like looking at a foreign language

it is a language though

Because the majority of people don't use it in their day to day life, it's useless for the average brainlet. Similar thing applies to every school subject- from history to mickey mouse studies.

Also, kek. The problems on that are something a 12 year old does, at least in UK

Because I don't understand the symbols used since they were never taught to me.

>which are taught in early high school.
That depends on the high school.

if you try to memorize physics then I guarantee you will fail all exams

my physics classes allowed cheat sheets where you could put down any formula you wanted. thing is, if you just tried to memorize formulas you couldn't solve any of the problems beyond the most basic

memorization in mathematics will only ever get you a good grade in high school or possibly a freshman statistics class

holy shit i didn't know (a/b)^n = a^n/b^n

bioengi major

sadly, memorization can take you pretty much all the way through the calculus sequence. If the professor really emphasizes the harder stuff you might only get a "B" but you'll pass

pathetic.

also bioeng so I can say that

Or they start shit talking you saying "He thinks he's so smart" when you were merely trying to explain something that would help their life.

I thought it was 36?

youtube.com/watch?v=wlOdUATGuQY

Low IQ. Believe it or not IQ is very important. Most people on (most of) Veeky Forums have a very high IQ so they take for granted the benefits you gain from being smart. Don't even pretend you have a low IQ fag, you are smarter than you think.

Just look at society the answers are staring you in the face.

People who are told they are talented instead of praised for their hard work can't handle adversity.

And IQ of course. It's not that dumb people can't solve tough problems, it's just that it takes an enormous amount of effort for them to do so compared to smart people.

it's not in their power, they suffer some sort of mental exhaustion because they don't practice everyday

They don't see the use for it and can't bring themselves to care because of that. And it's true that in their everyday lives they don't have a use for it.

ayy lmao i use Veeky Forums in stats

This. It is a language.

>properly thinking it through

To be fair, it's not always obvious in higher end math (or even freaking basic algebra) what you're meant to do at times. Each level of math you learn seems to undo a lot of what you learned before it.

Example - Someone taking Algebra 2 who solves an equation/inequality and gets an undefined answer, well that's it. That's the answer.

That same person moves on to Calculus and gets 0/0 while computing a limit, assumes they're finished, and discover the next day in class that they're supposed to autism their way to a different solution.

Basically, math is autism.

>Veeky Forums
>High IQ

Maybe Veeky Forums and the Veeky Forums of old, but these days the majority of boards are shitholes with high school freshman trying to be ironically edgy.

Isn't that the entire point though?

To put it another way, shouldn't math be taught as an open field where if you discover a "stopping point" you are just meant to use the tools you had before to come up with new tools to pass that point?

Most people have a horrible understanding of math. My mom calls Calculus "New Math" because she doesn't remember it in school and thinks all this new stuff is evil when it's just basic math, and she isn't even an idiot. She almost scored perfect on her math SAT. (I validated the scores)

That is only possible because she literally shuts her brain off with math and treats it as a magical demon because she was never given the tools to properly understand it and just the tools to pass a bunch of test she had to take at the time.

Really what I'm trying to say is that you don't "autism" the solution. Using that kind of language is the problem. You use mathematics to find the solution. If you have a graph, and you know what the answer should be, and intuitively as a person you can look at it and say what the answer should be, shouldn't you try to figure out why you can't get that answer there? That's what math is, not rote memorization.