It has taken nearly four years...

>It has taken nearly four years, but mathematicians are finally starting to comprehend a mammoth proof that could revolutionise our understanding of the deep nature of numbers.

>The 500-page proof was published online by Shinichi Mochizuki of Kyoto University, Japan in 2012 and offers a solution to a longstanding problem known as the ABC conjecture, which explores the fundamental relationships between numbers, addition and multiplication beginning with the simple equation a + b = c.

>Mathematicians were excited by the proof but struggled to get to grips with Mochizuki's "Inter-universal Teichmuller Theory" (IUT), an entirely new realm of mathematics he had developed over decades in order to solve the problem.

This guy basically invented his own realm of mathematics to solve a seemingly unsolvable problem. How does one become a genius like him?

I don't get how come some people can just work for hours on end without procrastinating or burning out.

newscientist.com/article/2099534-mathematicians-finally-starting-to-understand-epic-abc-proof/

Other urls found in this thread:

kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~motizuki/top-english.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I always forget that place exists.

That's because it's shit, /pol/ has better discussions about science/math than Veeky Forums does.

>How does one become a genius like him?
Win the genetic lottery. Mathematicians are born, not made.

>500 pages to proof a+b=c
That's probably not what it actually is about but I still had a giggle

>I don't get how come some people can just work for hours on end without procrastinating or burning out.
Passion

>Mathematicians are born, not made.
Meh. You can have all the gifts in the world but without hard work and enjoying what you do you will never get anywhere.
Hard work always trumps natural talent

>This guy basically invented his own realm of mathematics to solve a seemingly unsolvable problem.

Huh.....another Newton.

don't bother discussing science here /pol/ can't even comprehend genetics

>I don't get how come some people can just work for hours on end without procrastinating or burning out.
Autism friend

you can work as hard as you can, you won't be able to contribute to mathematics in a meaningful way without an IQ of at least 130.
a hard working idiot can outperform a lazy idiot but not a lazy genius

I disagree. A lazy genius can simply choose not to do anything. I've seen it many times.

Someone with an IQ of 140 and not doing anything useful with it seems like a complete waste.

someone who does literally nothing is not lazy, they are ill

Who gives a flying fuck about numbers.
Wow, good for that fucking dork.

Diligent only gives you +1 to all stats while Quick gives +3 and Genius a whopping +5

but i like shitposting :3

Hey you heard of amphetamines op?

How Can Numbers Be Real If Our Digits Aren't Repeating

Fuck this place.

my fucking digits were repeating when the thread was on /pol/ fuck this, fuck moot and fuck 4 people

hey just wondering but on Veeky Forums are we allowed to say nigger?

dunno

nigger

lmao

top kek.

Yeah but the potential prestige hits you have to go through to get genius into your bloodline can be pretty bad

Can you please elaborate on your though processes step-by-step? At which point in your mind you decided that your comment was worth posting and you proceeded to type those letters? After you had written the words and looked at your creation, what did you feel? Do you think the point you were making was well delivered and it relevantly contributed to the discussion in this thread?

this thread was moved here from /pol/

That explains a thing or two

>t. brainlet

oh god not this "I'm smart but lazy" meme that 90% of college undergrads claim

is he /oruguy?

Why is this fuck posted constantly

or economics, or history, or anything that doesn't subscribe to their worldview. They're the SJWs of the right.

I mean we are talking about mouthbreathing neets who think everyone that isn't them is out to get them.

Why do these retarded geniuses work in solitude for countless years creating works which will take decades to decode and understand, often due to the fact they write shit in ways only they understand, instead of collaborating and working openly so that we get the immediate benefits of their work and can expand upon it more efficiently?

How dumb are these 'geniuses'? Is it about personal glory or something?

he is the next cantor

geniuses don't care about personal glory only physicists do

This. Have you ever heard of a physics Nobel being denied by its receiver? No!

Too bad he won't be recognized by normies because his shit is too abstract.

It's like if you had a master cook and loads of shitty cooks, the shitty ones have nothing to add and will ruin the master cook's food

It's better they do it alone

All mathematicians but Mochizuki are shit?

Maybe? why risk it?

If you think you can do it alone it's probably better that way

For antisemites: do you know that A. Einstein was a jew?

The world is flat and Einstein wrote the letter to FDR to start the Manhattan project because the Japanese were attempting to control enough geographical territory to prove that the world was flat through an uninterrupted government experiment, so Einstein being jewish wanted to stop it so the burgeoning NWO could eventually start to fund itself through fake USSR and USA space programs.

tl;dr Don't derail threads with such shitty bait

fuck u

A person with talent can run half as fast as Usain Bolt
A person who works hard can run half as fast as Usain Bolt
But it takes a person with talent who also works hard to run just as fast. All of the hard work in the world won't help if you simply don't have physical tools to accomplish the goal.

I know confronting your limitations is unpleasant but they do exist, mentally as well as physically. Hard work is necessary but it is not always enough when you are talking about the bleeding edge of human capability.

hahahahaha
Fucking /pol/ man.

so, what are the consequences of this proof?

Nice bait, how about you go back to /pol/ and argue about how the Earth's curvature is actually an illusion.

If they do "literally" nothing, they're dead.

That post (and this whole thread) was originally on /pol/

cute cat

The least he could do is have an apprentice or an understudy to teach the stuff he's coming up with to.

Bullshit. Even I can run half as fast as Usain Bolt. And I wouldn't say I have any talent for it and I definitely don't work hard.

"metaphorically"

(((Globe)-alists

Yes, if you read Recoltes et Semailles you will understand how most mathematicians can only inhabit the houses that others pre-built for them. True creative mathematicians who aren't just doing rote manipulations are very rare.

Dubs confirm.

>wasting precious time and energy trying to get egotistical self centered brainlets to understand
>not just being a hermit for a few years doing what you love without having to deal with others

Because he loves what he does user and doesn't need others to validate his focus.

This

You think he got bullied in school?

Doesn't answer the question. You are merely describing it.

Example
"I don't get how some people can jump 5 meters in length"
"Blorgomorgom"

>how about you go back to /pol/ and argue about how the Earth's curvature is actually an illusion.
Are you seriously pretending that Veeky Forums is not 90% discussion about idiotic theories and 10% homework.

>/pol/ can't even comprehend genetics
neither can Veeky Forums

Can this papers help solving the Riemann hypothesis?

>Hard work always trumps natural talent

"No"

He's japanese

He had the biggest brainpower bar maybe Von Neumann, Archimedes, Newton and Gauss

Are you implying this guy wasn't autistically obsessed with math and dedicated most of his time to it? (which most people would consider, dare I say it, hard work)

Certainly. Japanese highschoolers are seriously into bullying.

Autism

i know right? If you're a genius you should at least get a job cleaning toilets.

>Archimedes
Why did you put him among them?

but it doesn't though?
/pol/ is memes and ledditor retards

And how come some people are motivated enough to work hard for prolonged periods of time and some aren't?

he invented calculus

Sci isn't exactly a collection of the biggest and brightest minds, but some of us actually believe Universities AREN'T indoctrination centers run by Jewish Lizard Sorcerers whose master plan is to exclusively turn the West into Homogay Land in order to summon Moloch from the 57th Dimension, and the only person that can save us is the Reincarnation of Hitler.

I've taught Genetics.

>Reincarnation
>not reintroduction

Nigga, look "under" the South Pole. He's still there on the "inside" of Earth.

Read a book sometime, willya?

Are you serious?

I think Terrence elaborated on it. He said something along the lines that in math you need to have a substantiated unfinished work before you can show other people or collaborate. This is to avoid "embarrassment" and wasted time. according to him. it's more efficient

It's true. During my first semester of undergrad I literally did nothing at all. I attended the minimum number of lectures not to be dropped from the course and always sat in the back with my headphones on. I did almost no assignments and didn't open any of my text books until the night before midterms and finals where I crammed everything in 3-4 hours. I managed a 2.2 GPA.
Did the same second semester except I read some content in winter break and had a fun humanities course that helped bump up my gpa to 3.1.
The following 3 years I decided to actually cut this shit out and put in some work and scored 4.0 in everything. I averaged about 2-3 hours of studying a day.

t. biomedical sciences major with 131 IQ

>I didn't study and I did bad but then I studied and did well

Just like literally every single person in the world. Really made me think

>131
>he thinks that's high!

jokes aside is any of this stuff useful for anything?

Well, if it is consistent and no errors appear somewhere, it was useful for proving the abc-conjecture. Which is pretty useful for other stuff.

Holy strawman Batman!
Go eat a nigger dick

>invent calculus
>invent first solar death ray
>invent steam engine
archimedes is the best possible outcome for an engineer sent back in time

>131 IQ
I'll take a large #6 with an extra large fries

Idk, I'm a mathematician and I can do math anywhere from 6-15 hours a day, usually achieving all hours in that range. I work on always work weekends, too. I just think it's fun.

yea well IF. and after 4 years why do we still dont know?

He has a very a e s t h e t i c home page: kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~motizuki/top-english.html

top mathematicians are doing good progress in understanding his work. I think ivan fesenko already claims to understand it all.

I miss when the internet was 85% this. It looked like shit but it wasn't loaded down with 900 layers of javascript and 32 cross-site calls.

Fuck it used to be cross-site calls were considered a gigantic security threat and not to visit sites that used them. Not it's impossible to escape.

I agree it's very nostalgic, and quirky handcrafted pages like his have a Web 1.0 charm missing in our era of uniform social media and blogs. I hate how slow and complex that shit is now, but these old style pages would probably still load on Netscape and shit.

they literally don't care about you or what you think or have to say
it might be difficult to come to terms with, but people like this literally operate on a different level and, in most cases (especially if they have mild autism), they couldn't possibly give less of a shit about things other than their work and passions

it's up to the rest of us to take his work and, first of all, find out if it's reputable or useful in any way in the first place, and secondly, find out how to actually extract meaning and value from it

see
most of the time, these ultra geniuses just don't care about such things, and other times their personalities don't allow for them to be easily sociable

Except for it being true for many /pol/acks.

Btw, on that website, the "pronunciation of my name"... is that the voice of /our guy/ Mochizuki, himself? Could it truly be?

>find out how to actually extract meaning and value from it

Guess why I know you don't know anything about IUT