Anyone used Blue Apron? Friend told me about it, might be useful for me...

Anyone used Blue Apron? Friend told me about it, might be useful for me. I don't have time to plan meals or grocery shop for very long right now due to college, and I've been eating fast food and other garbage more recently. It's about the same per meal I've been paying to eat out. Is it any good? Does the food stay good for very long?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Fo59LlkTDe4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

your paying for a service so its all the food you'd usually just buy but more expensive. Enjoy.

I tried blue apron, ended up cancelling the membership because life got in the way of cooking it for dinner 3x a week (my gf and my schedules didn't seem to allign), and because the value wasn't quite there for me (small portions, fairly expensive).

I'm a bigger guy so I pretty much never felt satisfied from one of these meals, although they were delicious.

pro's: fast, usually single pan, tasty food
con's: food gets noticibly worse after ~3 days, expensive

>is it any good
Compared to what? Compared to a hip meal at the newest James Beard award winning fine dining joint? No, it's pedestrian fare. Compared to the average restaurant offerings at under $15 a head (after tax & tip)? Equal or better. Compared to delivery (after tax and tip)? Far better. But the killer is the alcohol markup at restaurants, which you don't have to pay when you're eating BA.

>Does the food stay good for very long
In the box, sure. They ship it with cold gel packs. Once it's out of the box, it depends on what they're sending that week, but it's best to leave it in the box until you're ready to go.

In before "I don't need a box to teach me to cook". No one uses this to "learn to cook", go back to your Alton Brown reruns.

Pro-tip grandpa, get someone younger to actually do your marketing because you type like someone who has to pretend they're 20.

Yes, user. The hacker known as Veeky Forums is a teenager, everyone knows this. Epic fail, op! We never forgive and forget!

if you can afford this shit while going to college you better be thanking mom and dad for letting you suck their dick that hard

but on the really, I tried blue apron a couple times when it was free, it's honestly whatever at best. the meals are good sure, but they're laughably simple shit on-par with the first recipe result on google and AT LEAST twice as expensive than buying any of it at the most expensive organic grocer

small gripe on the side, but every order I did with them also never had a single usable avocado. always fucked one way or another

Tried Blue Apron once. It came with miso chicken, pork tacos, and fish tacos. The recipes are actually pretty good especially since they were meals I do not normally have.

It is expensive, but you can order it once a month. So, you don't have to rely on a strong moral principle to refrain from killing your self because you have some good food every once in a while.

Thanks for the info. Money isn't really an issue, I have a decent paying job and food is really my only expense until I have to pay my tuition off. I'm just looking for a quick healthier alternative to eating from Chinkboy's China Takeout 3 times a week.

Just go to you local supermarket once a week, buy ingredients and cook them.

What this guy said has a grain of truth, if literally all you're after is quick and healthy you can just grocery shop

The appeal of BA is so that you can have different one-off ingredients regularly without being a hoarder and having a bazillion different jars and tins of special ingredients overflowing the fridge and pantry. I did that for the first ten years of living on my own before realizing I was living like a crazy person, so I downsized, and my hoarding is limited to cookware and knives and other useful stuff, instead of 50 different single-use obscure spices from the Indian store and 25 varieties of fermented seafood from Korea, Vietnam, Malaysia, and Vanuatu

I work for BA. Food comes shipped with two to three peices of dry ice and some things go bad faster than others. Every Friday employees get to take home ingredients and I noticed the food generally lasts a little less than supermarket food does, but really it's the same shit, most things like vegetables are from farms in either NY, TX, and California and fruits come from Dole. Meats are pretty quality tho. Breads come prepackaged from various places, but at the end of the day, I'd say we have ingredients that's almost can all be bought at a whole foods or whatever.

Been on it for a few months now, though this is my last week.
You seem to fit the bill where it would make sense for you. Its way better than eating out all the time (flavor and health-wise) and is a massive convenience if you have a tight schedule.
Blue Apron also helps you become a better cook as the recipes are well written with good techniques included (though I always modify the recipes to taste even better. They assume actual retards are cooking these meals).
I'd definitely say try it and I think you'll be impressed.

cucumber: $1
snow peas: $1.5
sugar snap peas: $1.5
pea shoots: grow at home fairly easily but whateve. $2
green beans: $2
spinach:$1
spring onion: $.5
mint? : $.5
salmon: $9
chicken: $6
ground beef lamb mix:$6
lemons: $1
garlic: $.25
pasta: $.5
rice: $.5
mushrooms: $2
i don’t know what knick knacks are but i’m going to assume it’s dry seasoning and give it a generous value of $3

59.94 for (GENEROUSLY) $40.25 worth of food? (could probably get it for much less) no thanks.

that's like $1000 a year.. i could buy so many motorcycle parts with that

Knick knacks are for ingredients that are too small for the box, like bottles of liquids like red wine vinegar, soy glaze or things like that, butter, shallots, spice packets, cups of different kinds of dairy like sour cream, cheeses, and things like that. That's where the price save is, because if you were to buy all of those things you'd have to buy a lot of it whereas the knick knacks are preportioned.

and if i buy a lot of it, i'd have more food.. and more ingredients to use later so it's a moot point

butter, vinegar, spices, cheese etc. all keep very well

I tried my neighbor's a few times when I was housesitting for him. The ingredients were all decent quality but I didn't think any of the final dishes were that amazing. They were fine, but not particularly flavorful or interesting.

If you don't have time to grocery shop or plan meals and you're not a very experienced cook, you might not have time for Blue Apron. The meals usually require a decent amount of prep work (mostly washing/cutting vegetables), which could take you some time. They also typically aren't super simple/quick recipes, so even if you are relatively quick, you might have 30-45 minutes of active time spend preparing a Blue Apron meal.

I got a Blue Apron gift card from my parents for Christmas. I enjoyed cooking the meals and the recipes were overall pretty good. I tried to pick meals that were different from things I'd normally cook. I wouldn't pay for it myself though because I don't mind meal planning and grocery shopping.

that's a fuckload of packaging

remember when people used to rag on McDick's for that shit? How is Commiefornia not up in arms about this?

Yeah it is, BA employee here. Upper management says if there was a way to market eating plastic as the new health fad then the uptight environmental fucks buying the boxes wouldn't have anything to complain about. I mean we send a return label so that you can send in your box to be properly recycled but who really cares.

Agreed, people just need to learn to cook

There is NO way that these are not shill threads. No human being would take this shit seriously.

wheres sticky rice 13 cents? or is this broken down the cost of a meal?

>not buying your sticky rice 13 cents at a time
lmao pleb

wheres saffron for 3 cents? obviously its the portion to make the meal not how much your gonna buy

>whole chicken $0.37
>cucumber $5.75
It's a joke

fucking shills, buy a fucking ad

Oh i get it.

>i suck at shopping starter kit

>No human being would take this shit seriously.
That has never been true of anything ever.

>Laughably overpriced
>Recipes are insanely simple which is fine, but why not just use a simple one from all recipes and save 50% of money
>Food is "B" quality for the most part

just seems stupid overal

What gold-encrusted groceries are you buying? That stuff would cost $31USD In my area /at most/.

No one will disagree that it is overpriced. My opinion is that if you are an inexperienced cook and want to try a few different things without really knowing what, it might be of use to you. Go on it for a little while, experiment, find out what ingredients you want to keep in your personal repertoire, and then get off it and get a few good cookbooks or sift through online recipes. It also kind of depends on where you life. Trying to hunt down all the ingredients for, say, ma po doufu, can be tricky if you live in the country or an insufficiently non-white suburb. Good luck finding szechuan peppercorns and la douban jiang if you don't have a Chinese grocer nearby. But if you get little portions for your meal via mail and you find you enjoy the dish, you can then decide that it might be worth ordering online or travelling a bit to stock up on the necessary ingredients.

Oh. Missed that that's a mix of beef and lamb.Still Under $35

where do you live? I would probably have to pay close to 50 bucks for all that shit in Boston.

No shit retard. If you haven't reported this post yet why bother posting in it.

>szechuan peppercorns and la douban jiang
It's called substitution, you absolute child. Black pepper, sriracha, done. How do you people manage to even tie your shoes in the morning

>(GENEROUSLY) $40.25 worth of food? (could probably get it for much less)

>implying there are no asian supermarkets and discount grocers in boston
Currently live in Philamuhdelphia but even when I lived in Manhattan, I could get stuff at similar prices. I have a hard time believing Boston would be much more expensive than Manhattan.
You know... maybe it's just an immigrant thing. Us foreigners are hard-wired to notice good deals.

>subbing sriracha for doubanjiang

And I'll bet you'd call angel hair with ketchup "spaghetti with marinara," you inbred clod.

Yeah, that's true. There are cheap Asian supermarkets in some places. I just meant at a regular grocery store.

Why wouldn't you just go to the store and buy what you need for however many meals? You save like 25-50% of the cost and only have to spend like 30 minutes of your time.

Americans are actually too lazy to drive to the store nowadays. These services exist to cater to our growing agoraphobia as a nation.

I'm one of the most shy, introverted people I know and even I can head to the store, pick up my shit, and gtfo.

Where I live, all of that would cost more than the subscription does. I don't have a subscription, just saying grocery cost varies wildly from place to place.

waste of money for me; perfectly fine for me to go to grocery store and buy stuff and make food for a few days at a atime

All you're really telling me is that you either don't know how to shop or lack the spacial intelligence needed to adequately estimate the size of those food parcels in the pic posted.

Schwann's is better and not gay.

t. average blue apron customer

youtube.com/watch?v=Fo59LlkTDe4

I call bullshit the food is packed with bricks of regular ice not dry ice

restaurant prices for home cooked meals

>My opinion is that if you are an inexperienced cook and want to
sure thing
dont learn how to remove the sking and bones out of a chicken breast
dont learn how to select your own vegetables
dont learn what goes with what and how to replace ingirients or how to work your grocery budget so you have a use for everything and things dont go off because you only needed half of X
dont base your groceries around whats on discount at the supermarket that week
who needs to learn any of that? who needs to be able to figure out if fish is fresh or if meat is good quality?
you get a neat little box thats all there is to cooking

>implying any of those are hard
the stuff that intimidates novice chefs is putting shit in a hot pan and not destroying it somehow

the rest of those items are just extensions of everyday life activities

the people who purchase such services already struggle with everyday life activities, you shouldnt overestimate how dumb people get.
Also its part of cooking, i also have a problem with people who do all their groceries at wallmart, if you dont dare to go to stores were speaking english is not the norm you will never know what you are missing

>the people who purchase such services already struggle with everyday life activities
lol, you sound like those people on /g/ complaining that people who have nicer watches than them totally can't appreciate them

it's just money, don't get so defensive about other people having more

>it's just money

its not about money
the food you eat as in the recipes dont all come from the same place (i hope)
so how does it make sense for all the ingridients you use to come from the exact same place?
nobody is too busy to go grocery shopping once a week, buying actually made food is one thing but you shouldnt be paying for something that you should be doing yourself
Hell most stores do home delivery, just like pizza and it doesnt take two weeks to arrive

>the food you eat as in the recipes dont all come from the same place (i hope)
>so how does it make sense for all the ingridients you use to come from the exact same place?
I don't understand either of these questions. Why are you so hung up on "the same place"? Are you suggesting that food is better if the various ingredients were acquired by the end user in separate transactions in disparate physical localities?

Is this some clumsy stab at socratic dialogue? Can you maybe go about this more directly, please?

because each store has different types of products
wallmart doesnt sell 20 types of rice and your friendly asian grocery doesnt sell donut burgers.
You should only go to chain stores for essentials since its not going o matter either way with that but hell if you want to buy most of the ingridients there well thats ok too
However unless you are eating burgers and apple pie for every meal there is always something thats better bought somewhere else

I'll second this, wtf are you talking about

I suppose, but that doesn't mean its worth the time/gas/effort to go to a bunch of different stores to get stuff you could have gotten at your first stop

I'm still completely lost, sorry

Plated in 100x better.

lets be honest here, you arent going to eat french, chinese, brazilian and greek all in the same three day span
Also you are likely not buying one serving of a single thing when you are there

quality and variety of ingridients in supermarkets and chains as a whole sucks
There is no problem in buying salt or sugar there because thats something thats not affected by qualty and variety too much
Take potatoes for example, there are over 300 different types of them but you only buy the ones that grow fast and have a long shelf life
ethnic stores have better variety and quality, if you want mexican food why not buy the ingridients to make it at a mexican store where they carry the ingridients and brands that were originally used in that food and you can actually ask questions and get help from the people working there?

>quality and variety of ingridients in supermarkets and chains as a whole sucks
that really depends on the store
>there are over 300 different types of them but you only buy the ones that grow fast and have a long shelf life
who is "you"? I assume you don't literally mean me, how could you possibly know what potatoes I buy?
> if you want mexican food why not buy the ingridients to make it at a mexican store
Because the mexican store is in mott haven, the indian store is in jackson heights, the korean store is on 32nd street, the chinese store is on canal street, the russian store is on bay parkway, get the picture? bit of a pain to visit each of those after work, so for weeknight meals it's nice to have some extra convenience. I can do my foodie fantasy shopping and cooking binges on the weekend when I have infinite spare time

You know what, I was wrong. The ice we use is this and they are gel packs. They ship to use frozen so I didn't know they were gel.

>Be me
>First couple weeks at Blue Apron
>Okay I guess, a lot of standing for a long time and boring repetitive motions
>One day I forget my headphones (not supposed to have cell phone on you in work area, immediate termination, but whatever, muh podcasts)
>Keep hearing this loud fucking noise from behind
>Look behind and pause podcast
>Big bertha looking black lady singing so loud that in a warehouse with industrial fans and forklifts she was heard by everybody
>People look annoyed, but nobody does anything
>She is singing like shes in church almost yelling
>Think to myself, "Where the FUCK is a supervisor to tell her to shut the hell up?"
These events occur in this order
>Dancing and swinging around her knife, literally almost flies out of her hand
> Coughs into her glove
>Goes back to chopping ginger
>Not even looking at the cutting board while she chops like shed beheading a fucking goat with a machete
>Reaches into her pocket
>Pulls out a wad of cash wrapped in a rubber band
>Fans the money and starts counting it
>Puts in back in her pocket
>Goes back to chopping blindly
>Accidentally drops ginger she chopped on the floor instead of the bin the ingredients go in
>Picks it off the fucking floor
>Puts it in the bin with the fucking FRESH CUT GINGER
>meanwhile I am just looking at her like ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!
>Literally nobody says anything
I wanted to say something, but there are cliques at work, ie: the blacks, the Africans, the Hispanics, the Asians, the whites, etc.
If I told on her, she'd have gotten fired on the spot, and I didn't want to make work harder for myself by getting jumped in the parking lot.
She did leave after a while though, most people do. Can't handle the cold I guess. And this kind of shit happens all the time and the supervisors see it and just keep on walking.

I meant i forgot my bluetooth beanie, its way more convenient than running headphones under clothes

And for anyone who thinks im making it up.
Sorry for potato webcam

Why is there one of these threads every week

Gee I dunno it's not like these could be real customers or anything. Everyone is NEET just like me, you expect be to believe you did a triple backflip into your Maserati before taking delivery of the latest Blue Apron™ Knick-Knacks pack? If you have $9.99 to spend on a meal you must be some kind of billionaire ((globalist))

>there are cliques at work, ie: the blacks, the Africans, the Hispanics, the Asians, the whites, etc.

fucking hell it's like prison or something

Faggot numale shit. Thanks for destroying the environment with all the trash from packaging and the fossil fuels it uses being delivered. Millenial hypocrites.

>Thanks for destroying the environment
t. coal rolling conservative

>this is what numales actually believe

Dude, any place that has silos is like a prison.
Look at my company:

>Helpdesk [tweakers and crack heads]
>Desktop techs [lifers]
>Programmers [fish, fuck boys,currency, etc]
>System administrators [shot callers]
>Network administrators [the guys that sneak contraband everywhere]
>Information Security [Neo Nazis]
>Managers [the screws]
>CISO [Head Neo Nazi]
>CIO [Warden]

People always tend to separate into ethnic cliques. When I was in the army, there was a real emphasis on eliminating any hint of racial conflict and bias because the success of a mission depended on unit cohesion. And for the most part, during missions it worked. But during off time, people generally socialized within their own ethnicity. It's just how ingrained tribal thinking patterns are in our lives.

Getting paid for chopping vegetables while listening to podcasts sounds great user, how can I get something like that?

>all that packaging
I am angry about how wasteful this is.

You don't get rich wasting money on stupid shit like this.
People earning over 100k/year are the most likely to buy second-hand goods.

t.guy hoping to make 100k at some point