RUSSIAN LIT GENERAL

Just finished Cancer ward, cheese and crackers that has got to be the best novel I've ever read. You know that scene in dead poet's society with the page with the graph on it, all about how a masterfully expressed, very serious subject will be superior? Maybe Robin williams killed himself because of how wrong he was tearing that page out, Solzhenitsyn proves is with this bad boy.

Every time I read something russian I ask myself why I bother with anything else, it is as if they lend voices to all the hundreds of souls Mozart tells the steppenwolf he has within him. Ive only ever read tolstoy and dosto but I have another solsh play and Gogol's dead souls on the shelf waiting for me.

I did borrow a few books from the library though so they will have to wait.

wild card topic for discussion: is tennis Veeky Forums as fuck?

When I first got into Veeky Forums about a decade ago (shit I'm old) I started out reading my dad's collection of Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy. It's sort of like being introduced to steak for the first time with a $150 Wagyu Rib Eye Cheesesteak; spoils you right off the bat.

On my list for this year: Brother's Karamazov, Dead Souls

Brother's K is pretty good, I'm just finishing up The Double and apparently it was influenced by the style in Dead Souls along with the majority of Gogol's works. I'm planning on getting the following his week:
The Little Demon-Sologub
Ice trilogy-Sorokin

Both seem like fun reads but I've not heard of much discussion on either one.

Oh boy

I'm currently reading White Guard by Bulgakov and Quiet Flows the Don by Sholokhov
>Every time I read something russian I ask myself why I bother with anything else
Is very relatable.

I'm writing a book based in Russia, any good books writing about the imperial era?

you seem really gay

fucking faggot
>writes a book based in Russia
>has to ask for reading recommendations on said subject, becuase he doesn't know too much about it.
REEEEEEEEEE

why you located it in Russia?

>tfw learning Russian for the books

Good enough now to trawl through Harry potter at a reasonable rate. After that it'sonto the first witcher book. Another year and maybe I can manage something act good.

hmmmmmm...

>shirt out of his pants

what a fucking degenerate

>withcer book

You are aware that this book was written in polish not russian and russian translations are actually horrible?

topkek

I am yes. I just assumed a Russian translation would be similar as the languages are similar. Truthfully I don't care for the quality, it's a pulpy fantasy novel. As long as it fits my requirement of being harder than Harry potter while not as hard as Pushkin or Chekhov I'm fine with it.

Fuck. It seems that everybody has read Cancer Ward already, except me.

which translation did you have?

Of course tennis is
Veeky Forums, just look at DFW

penguin books Nicholas Bethell, David Burg

thanks user, i need a copy for next semester and I think I'll try to get one of these translations. I've had good luck with Penguin Classics so I'm sure it will be a fine translations.

Or Nabokov

what would give you impression that I enjoy the company of men in a sexual context, based on what Ive said

maybe 1/100 people you see in public would have an opinion which would amount to "what is that fag reading"

just read tolstoy

he is very easy writing

He's not in the gulag anymore, he can cut that dirty beard now, sheesh.

*sensible chuckle*

I get it, youre purposefully giving us a terribly constructed sentence to mark the masterfully composed russian literature?

why you post this