Ours is a culture of cleverness, not of knowledge...

>Ours is a culture of cleverness, not of knowledge, one that is far more comfortable in assessing wit than in assessing evidence. It is disdainful of the idea that being an intelligent person requires spending hours reading books, slowly absorbing complex ideas, waging war on your own ignorance through attrition. It presumes that you should be well-read but is distrustful of the bookish. (It produces a micro-genre of listicles about the books “everyone” has claimed to have read but hasn’t/has started but never finished.) It places a premium on being smart but is skeptical, even contemptuous, of public displays of the work of getting smart. You want to be the kind of cultured person who knows great books intimately, but if you have Proust on your knee on the subway people will roll their eyes at you. That kind of thing: obviously smart but not, like, all tryhard about it. You are expected to work out relentlessly to train your body and to show everyone that effort, but your intelligence must be effortless, even accidental.

Is he right?

Other urls found in this thread:

fredrikdeboer.com/2016/12/28/my-top-2016-moment-what-is-aleppo/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Who cares? Just read Proust on the subway and let people roll their eyes if they want to.

>Waah I want to assert myself as a patrician and be celebrated for it at all times

If you get this bothered from people thinking you look like a tryhard faggot for reading Proust on the subway, you probably are a tryhard faggot

>>but if you have Proust on your knee on the subway
>implying anyone on the subway knows who Proust is

Its pure projection, the guy knows he's a pseud and he's putting his own self disdain into other people

From what I've seen, displays of intelligence or ambition to learn aren't so much scoffed or mocked at, but feinted. When I see a young woman or man son the train reading a Proust novel and the next week they are in the very same portion of the book (the beginning, of course) I am confirmed in my suspicions that they posture themselves entirely around affectations to make it seem as they are interesting or smart. When they seem so entranced by the words on the page they are only impassioned by their imaginations of what those around them think of them.

From who is this?

From what I could find, just some blogger faggot

>obviously smart but not, like, all tryhard about it.
>your intelligence must be effortless, even accidental.

Sounds like a great way to pigeonhole yourself into meeting and befriending pseuds whom you don't even really like. Fuck that, read Proust on the subway if you want; maybe one day you'll meet someone who, instead of rolling his eyes, will say he's read it as well, and will ask how you like it so far. Maybe you'll become friends. Better have one person like that in your life than dozens around whom you have to contrive being "effortlessly" intelligent.

fredrikdeboer.com/2016/12/28/my-top-2016-moment-what-is-aleppo/
I googled the line. I suggest you do the same in the future.
That's young people for you. Concerned about appearances and lacking substance. All young people are like that, because they on the top of their minds only want to appear ripe for breeding.
Hence, why all of you 18-24 year olds that seem to populate this site incessantly will always say the same things about appearance this and complaining about not having sex or being relevant to society. In the end, you'll choose like everyone else does and make something of yourself like all people who learn do, and then you'll realize appearance is to be maintained to assure people of your substance.
If you get to that level, you're a normal, functioning, person and I can't tell you anything.
Our culture isn't one of cleverness. It's the young people and dumb people who care about shiny sparkly things, these people are the masses of humanity obeying their biology. What did you expect them to do when the responsible mass of humanity decided to use their own psychology to control them through marketing?
We have the people of substance exploiting the people of appearance through necessity. That is today's world. Cleverness is a currency of the intelligent.

What a load of horseshit

Stupid people think smart people know a lot just by virtue of being smart

>I googled the line. I suggest you do the same in the future.
Shows your homo status 2bh
>le handy internet man that can copy/paste into google
Either you're another user's bitch and google for him or you tell him he should google it himself, but don't google it for him only to tell him to use google next time. He won't give a shit, redditor. There is no use in doing shit like this.

Wow I never thought of it that way. Better go suck a dick to prove you correct.
Aren't they too stupid to know if smart people are smart then?

I googled all the paragraph but I was at my phone and it showed ''no results'' that's why I asked. Rude.

You don't need to your homo already was spread all over the screen. Like the homos on /gif/ when they reverseimagesearch and can't keep their mouse skills for themselves. Do you earn a living utilizing your internet skills?

Do you like bullying people on Veeky Forums? hmmmm

Stop being reddit
>btw wanted to get another dubs in this micro conversation we managed to get 3 in a row

>stop being reddit

talks about dubs
oki

>belittle young people for being superficial
>not appreciating the little things
Grow old, reddit

saying reddit is reddit af

>caring about being reddit

People who spend this much time worrying about other people's opinions aren't going to do anything interesting, and don't need to be listened to.

I'm reddit's fine. I never understood why Veeky Forums as a whole has this hatred of other sites. I even learned that hatred myself even though I know it's absolute bullshit I hear little complaints in my head about going to reddit. I don't post or read there much, but their boards are undoubtedly higher level than ours. /r/DestructiveReaders has standards, and we, well, have posts like calling people redditors or fags as a blanket insult.
I wonder why I like it here better?

You don't want them to mix up. Each has their own quality. This is why I defend our culture by spiting hate towards every suspect of reddit on this board.

If you don't understand what's wrong with reddit you need to go back there. Go. You're cancer.

lol made me chuckle

Stupid and smart aren't mutually exclusive.
Stupid is making bad choices when you know better and is often blamed on unconscious desires when an intelligent person is involved.
Wasn't it Shaw who talked his way into having a wife and two girlfriends all living in the same house, then messed it up?

>nerd who hasn't worked out a day in his life complaining that the grass is greener, and that he is so smart as a result of all his reading, but no one notices
Perhaps it's because, despite his reading, he has not developed his critical thinking nor reflection abilities enough to realize that a whole lot of really fit people get laughed at as well, despite their time in the gym, especially when they have neglected to develop a part of their physique, like those guys on the beach with the chicken legs and 20 inch biceps who look like a stiff breeze will knock them over, and that despite the fact that this is a terrible run-on sentence, it is a foil of his own musings.

Why does he look so grave even angry reading Cosmicomics? Only a pseud can't smile.

>It is disdainful of the idea that being an intelligent person requires spending hours reading books,
>implying reading is a brute-force method of raising intelligence.
I've met well-read idiots and very smart ignorant people.
Every age has it's time when it seems intelligence, refinement, culture in general are ranged against by the forces of coarse iconoclasm or plain barbarism. It's not a big deal or anything new.
>reading on a bus
>woman behind me wondering aloud why i would be reading
>man with her explains some people read to relax, he is kind and patient with her
>she says he never reads but he is "like, a genius"
>he is all like: nah

>Ours is a culture of cleverness, not of knowledge, one that is far more comfortable in assessing wit than in assessing evidence
So he follows that up with, ultimately, meaningless posturing. Was that intentional or is he just not terribly bright?

biumpo

>>reading on a bus
>>woman behind me wondering aloud why i would be reading
Holy fuck, is America really this much of a cultural wasteland?

Yeah. American is such fucking shit rofl. Not like my country of patricians where poor people don't just care about sex and drugs :^)

All I know is that books burn at 451º Fahrenheit.

Calvino is the best

>but if you have Proust on your knee on the subway people will roll their eyes at you.

I have literally read Proust's work and loved it and still I'd roll my eyes right alongside those people.

What a fuckin twat this cunt is.

>We have the people of substance exploiting the people of appearance through necessity

we have people knowing the tricks of appearance exploiting the people of appearance
they dont have substance at all. they know how to make shine something, dont implicitly know the substance behind.

back

to

reddit

Why don't these people just get an e reader, or read from there phones or tablets or something?

Post the updated version

They're taking public transit, so they're probably poor. Poor people are often obnoxious and socially incompetent.

Oh yeah I forgot America's public transportation is a joke and they'd rather sit in a traffic jam alone in a car for hours than fix it.

>uses undertale and steven universe reaction images

This one is egregiously out of place, these two things trigger /pol/

Yeah it's pretty bad. But on the plus side we got to escape all the minorities so there's that at least. Anyway, cars are pretty cheap here, it's not like Britain where an ounce of petrol costs forty gold florins and the constables will ticket you for doing ten over.

Ah yeah, will fixed it up a bit more

then you are a faggot

>"he is reading a good book in public, what a retarded"

nice complaining about fucking jackshit

This is just horrible, horrible projection by an autist whining about not being praised for liking literature. 'He' should try to be less self-conscious.