Taxi Driver is one of my favorite movies of all time and I would like to know what the literary equivalent of it is...

Taxi Driver is one of my favorite movies of all time and I would like to know what the literary equivalent of it is. I have only read The Metamorphosis and Catcher in the Rye, so I'm pretty new and my attention span is low, but I'd like to get into literature and thought this is a good opportunity.

Thanks.

Raging Bull is a better film

Closest thing I've read to it is Hard Rain Falling.

Yeah, I too would like the answer to OP's question, only I'm not a plebeian so difficulty isn't a problem.

Taxi Driver doesn't root with the Driver, it rather uses him to criticise society, the climax being him being the hero in the end, just having just failed succeeding to do the evil deed

Yeah, that's one aspect, but movies or books aren't merely children tales meant to hammer in a specific moral lesson. Telling people to stop liking something cause they're doing it for the wrong reasons isn't insightful or important.

Always reminded me of Notes from the Underground in terms of their respective author's distance from the voice of the book/film. Scorsese is using Bickle to criticize the postitions he holds, but counter-intuitively he doesn't do so by distancing us from him, but by submerging us in his perspective entirely. This results (as pointed out) in many people seeing Travis as a heroic figure in whose voice we're supposed to trust.

Many people (on this very board) make the same mistake with the Underground Man. So I think there's that similarity.

"No"

No.

>baby's first film.

we get it, you know a lot about films :-)

What was wrong with Travis wanting to kill criminals?

Is there something wrong with that?

try to have a favorite kino thats not plebbit tier shit

No Longer Human
The Book of Disquiet
Appointment in Samarra

>Scorsese is using Bickle to criticize the postitions he holds
No, I strongly disagree. It's not an endorsement of Travis but it's not a criticism of him. It's a psychological portrait of a rootless, isolated misanthrope who's been hollowed out by an directionless city and now is trying to give it direction by any means possible. Scorsese/Schrader don't think violence is the right response to the problem, but the problem itself they are deeply sympathetic toward. It's not a judgemental movie.

Well, similarly, I don't think Dostoevsky is unsympathetic to the problems faced by the Underground Man, but likewise doesn't think his response is the correct one

it's a great film, you asshole

>spot the insecure user

Arthur Bremer's diary if you can find a cheap copy. He tried to assasinate George Wallace and Schrader based some of Bickle's lines on the diary.
My Twisted World by Elliot Rodger
American Psycho

>Tfw Travis looking for good in the world of shit
>sees good in angelic adult
>turns against him
>meets actual prostitute child
>doesn't turn against him

>tfw Travis murders people to save girl
>tfw Travis is hailed as a hero because of the opinions of shit people
>tfw Travis still walking the streets because of the shit he hates

Child of God

I know a lot of people say that Travis is a byproduct of his city, but I think Travis is really just a fundamentally troubled individual who doesn't understand how to fit into society. Schrader sort of hints that he might have PTSD, but it's such an off-hand remark that it wouldn't surprise me if Travis was bullshitting. IMO it's what makes him so great, his anger is so universal and unspecified that there are so many reasons why he could act the way he does

Travis doesn't give a shit about being a good person, he just wants a way to justify his own anger and he settles on moral superiority as a good enough answer.

People shouldn't waste their time on such things as morals and ethics anyway. Just do what you want and be willing to live with the consequences.

Being an ethical or moral person usually bodes well for the individual in question anyway, altruism doesn't have to be the driving factor

Depends on how you define boding well. Living a long, dignified but otherwise uneventful life is not necessarily always a good thing. Where's the achievement?

>Where's the achievement?

In the graveyard

kek. I just think you have to choose between a boring, yet long life or a short eventful and perhaps even significant one.

After all, what good is it to live a long life if you don't do anything with it?

The guy who wrote the screenplay of Taxi Driver ripped off the French film The Pickpocket

No, that's Donny Darko

Crime and Punishment, obviously.

Not loving Taxi Driver is a top pseud filter

Fuck off pseud.

Ahh, cool. A movie-lover.
>plebbit
You need to go back.

My Twisted World.

I tried asking this question back in August and someone called me a dumb faggot.
Good times.
He is basically doing the same thing as the people he despises. His motives are different so we're ok with it, but its ironic that to fix the world, he must become at least somewhat like the people he raves against.
There is no peace without war, no love without hatred. If you want to fix something, you must destroy something else.
Pic somewhat related.

>Tfw Veeky Forums is able to discuss a film more intelligently than /tv/ could ever dream of.
>/tv/: The posts

This thread was a mistake dude. You should know that Veeky Forums is full of pretentious retards with undeserved sense of intellectual superiority, so obviously they're going to take a simple request thread and turn it into an opportunity to be armchair film critics with nothing to say.

Hows this you nig? Here are all the recommendations I got when I made this thread months ago. I made a note, lucky you.
Noir Lit Reccomend:
Raymond Chandler
Philip K. Dick
Thomas Ligotti
Black Wings Has My Angel by Elliott Chaze
James Ellroy, White Jazz.
Don Winslow, The Power Of The Dog and The Cartel

Also, if you'd read the goddamn thread you'd see some people had made recommendations. You're not helping any yourself.

Check this post OP.

Journey to the End of the Night is the first novel by Louis-Ferdinand Céline. This semi-autobiographical work describes antihero Ferdinand Bardamu.

Bardamu is involved with World War I, colonial Africa, and post–World War I United States returning in the second half of the work to France, where he becomes a medical doctor...Voyage au bout de la nuit is a nihilistic novel of savage, exultant misanthropy, combined, however, with cynical humour. Céline expresses an almost unrelieved pessimism with regard to human nature, human institutions, society, and life in general. Towards the end of the book, the narrator Bardamu, who is working at an insane asylum, remarks:

" …I cannot refrain from doubting that there exist any genuine realizations of our deepest character except war and illness, those two infinities of nightmare"

A clue to understanding Céline's Voyage lies in the trauma he suffered during his experience in World War I. This is revealed by a study of biographical and literary research on Céline, histories of the war, diaries of his cavalry regiment, and literature on the trauma of war. Céline's experience of the war leads to "…the obsession, the recurrent anguish, the refusal, the delirium, the violence, the pacifism, the anti-Semitic aberration of the 30’s, [and] his philosophy of life …."

I was thinking this too.

Fight club.

>baby's first intelectual post

>justify his own anger and he settles on moral superiority
Nope. You imply there is anything but moral.
Also, you imply you can choose between justifying your acts or not.

He is a human who faced the evil in his world. We saw his world through Travis' eyes. We felt what he felt(at least the non-pseuds) and we reached that conclusion.

>He is basically doing the same thing as the people he despises.
Yeah. From an objecive POV you may have reached the director's conclusion.

How about you take your pills and start talking like a civilized person?

read existential works such as notes from the underground and the stranger
paul schrader, the scriptwriter, has said he used these novels as an inspiration