How do we actually know black holes and relativity exist...

How do we actually know black holes and relativity exist? It seems like baseless conjecture that people believe religiously. Furthermore, it seems more and more like a fake narrative when you realize the cult pf personality around Albert Einstein. If you even think about suggesting that Einstein may have plagiarized his work, you're finished.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SXR25ofqD58
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>I don't understand something, must be fake

This, also almost every thread on Veeky Forums.

If "understanding" is synonymous with "accepting blindly because it makes sense on paper", then yes. Not that I'd expect any other response besides "lol ur just dumb". Protip: you're not helping your case when all you can do is condescend instead of actually arguing. It just helps further prove my point.

>hurr durr whats a curved glass
We can literally use telescopes to see shit happening in real time moron. Its not a baseless conjecture if its proven by experiments. Dont you have high school finals to study for or is it summertime already?

>Theory predicts X,Y, and Z
>Astronomers observe X, Y, and Z

Black holes have certain properties, certain bodies in the universe are observed with these properties. What's the issue?

>what is the scientific method
You put something on a paper, then you see if this something explains already known phenomena and see if it predicts new unknown ones you can test it against. Right now we are collecting results from imaging Sagittarius A*, we'll see how that turns out.

how do we know thats a black hole though? couldnt it be something equally as draining on the universe like OP's shitpost?

>how do we know thats a black hole though?

Because, as with all other words, we define an object that has those properties to be a black hole.

>If "understanding" is synonymous with "accepting blindly because it makes sense on paper", then yes.
kek, when you don't even understand what the word understand means, you should really just stop breathing altogether.

I think Dark Matter is much more suspect than anything else. Scientists observed phenomena that contradicted status quo theories, so they just introduced a wildcard that we can never know anything about. It's the exact same thing creationists do: They have a preconceived notion that they will never let go of, so they change what they believe to be true in order to keep their preconceived notion intact.

I think I'd agree dark matter is retard shit but that's a wrongful comparison I believe because creationism has no grounds in science and is only self-referencial and declarative, not experimental like the rest of established physics

It's acceptable to make a quick correction like dark matter if it adjusts a theory so it makes accurate predictions, even if the explanation is dodgy.

What's really unacceptable about dark matter is the marketing of it to normies as some undiscovered spooky magic stuff.

If something looks like a duck, acts like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is most likely a duck

>relativity

first off, you're stupid. Painfully stupid. Cringe-worthy stupid.

during an eclipse astronomers measured the apparent displacement of the light from stars that passed near the sun. The amount the light was bent by the sun's gravitational field confirmed general relativity.

next time google your stupid questions.

one last time, you're a moron.

Jamie, pull that shit up

>Not using Messier 106 and it's water megamaser.

You're just blindly accepting this as fact because the data fits

How fast are those stars moving?

It's physics. You can conceive of experiments to test the theory if you like. Compare observation with prediction. If they match, that helps support the theory. If they don't, and you are working within a relativistic regime, then you may have a point were you can propose your own theory.

You should look up experiments both terrestrial and not that are well explained by relativity. You even rely on devices that perform these experiments in real time (the poster child GPS goes here).

Physics is not a religion. If you find yourself doubting something, go to the lab. If that is not possible, read the results of people who did.

>girls don't exist, only shitposts

We know with photographs. That's enough right?

>Keck

I made a napkin calculation and the average velocity of the one that makes an ellipse and got about 1/3 c. It may be even faster since I considered the ellipse to be in the plane perpendicular to our line of sight, if it is inclined then it would cover even more distance in the same period.

>I considered the ellipse to be in the plane perpendicular to our line of sight
Now I actually am not sure if that matters since I used semi-major axis and eccentricity, and I don't know if astronomers already computer inclination when showing these numbers or if we have to do so when calculating. Can anyone astrofag clear this up to me?

>Real time
No

God is real, thank for your wise word

How you know it black hole, not just some alien playing ping pong

"Dark matter" is a placeholder term, scientists don't actually think there is such a thing, they just noticed the effects of it and gave it a placeholder name so they can talk about it.

>because the data fits

That's the opposite of "blindly accepting" something you thick twat.

>black hole
>so much gravity that light cant get out
>theory: out my arse
science is just bullshitting alot and pandering to scifi fanatics

>I'm too thick to understand a simple and intuitive theory like GR

You poor dumb bastard.

calculating how much mass you need to stop light from leaving is an easy exercise in freshman physics: escape velocity is a thing

Dark matter has pretty much been observed though(Look up the bullet cluster, although we can't see the matter itself, we can see its various gravitational effects).

Its gotten pretty much impossible to come up with theory's that don't make use of some kind of matter that still fits observations. I think most would prefer an adjustment to GR, but it looks less and less like its the solution.

All these threads about people questioning advanced ideas in physics (and science in general) are really frustrating. It's not like there's a problem with questioning an established idea in science, but you should do so with reason. Simply not knowing the evidence for black holes does not mean that there is no evidence. All that means is that you're too lazy to go and actually read on the subject. We gather data and come upon a conclusion which fits with everything we know. The more evidence we have for ideas like black holes, the more concrete and better established the idea becomes. We have good evidence for black holes. Things like multiverse theory and all though you could say are conjecture.

yes moron

GPS only works because we take time dilation between the surface of the earth and orbital height into account

cosmic particles created in the atmosphere that should decay before they hit the earth will arrive on the surface because of time dilation

black holes are mapped by their enormous effect on surrounding stars

Except we've actually observed the direct gravitational lensing caused by dark matter in the bullet cluster

Two big clouds of gas ran into each other, the actual gas collided and slowed each other down while the dark matter kept traveling uninterrupted on its original trajectory, causing gravitational lensing where the clouds otherwise would have been.

So there's clearly something out there.

Dark energy is an entirely different topic

>time dilation
youtube.com/watch?v=SXR25ofqD58

This is satire, right?

From Wikipedia:
>Given a recent estimate of 4.3 million solar masses for the mass of Sagittarius A* and S2's close approach, this makes S2 the fastest known ballistic orbit, reaching speeds exceeding 5000 km/s (11,000,000 mph, or 1/60 the speed of light) and acceleration of about 1.5 m/s2 (almost one-sixth of Earth's surface gravity).
>1/60 the speed of light

I think I found the problem. Your calculation for the perimeter of the orbit looks like it's way off - with a semi-major axis of .1226, a perimeter of 4.49 doesn't make sense. Veeky Forums keeps eating my posts so I have to hack together this image with this post

That's scary is fuck senpai.

Look at his other videos, he's been uploading wacky shit since 2008. No way it's satire, unless he's a master ruseman playing a long game

/thread

What is that last formula for velocity and why the factor of 2? And why does it get units of arcseconds and returns units of speed of light?

>It's not like there's a problem with questioning an established idea in science
Actually that's not true. Subjecting any widely accepted theory to scrutiny will get you called an idiot and you'll never work in the scientific community again. It's been that way for hundreds of years, even going back to ancient Greece, and it's just as much the case today.

Wow. Just.... wow. I take my hat for you, sir.

There is just no way someone can be so precisely wrong... by accident. This is some next level shit, congratulations. I wish everyone put this much thought in their shitpost as you do.

>ever trusting kikes

I've got my eyes opened to tgeir lies so much I am beginning to question the existence of nukes, a shitton of TNT spiked with uranium looks and feels the same, its all hook-nosed kikes who worked on the 'a-bomb'

The real problem with dark matter and dark energy is that they named them 'dark.' It's one if the cringiest things in science.

>You're just blindly accepting this as fact because the data fits
What do you propose then? Accepting the theory that doesn't fit the data?
You are a dense brainlet.

I know nothing about science but I will talk out of my ass, the thread.

Join his FB group. Its bizarre