Does anybody here like Salinger's short story collection?

Does anybody here like Salinger's short story collection?

They're pretty solid. But his novellas are far better.

I found Franny and Zooey quite pretentious actually.

The discourse throughout the novella is truly GOAT.

Sometimes reading it I felt like Salinger was trying too hard to make the characters appear to be really smart (books stacked everywhere, quotes written on the back of the door, witticisms from Zooey), instead of just letting it flow.

That being said, I can't deny I enjoy reading it.

Salinger is really comfy

my favorite part was when... well.

>Sometimes reading it I felt like Salinger was trying too hard to make the characters appear to be really smart (books stacked everywhere, quotes written on the back of the door, witticisms from Zooey)

That was entirely the point: Both Franny and Zooey, who happened to be rather intelligent, were at the age when you think you know everything. So when you add together those variables, you get a book that intentionally comes off as pretentious.

Lastly, Salinger is maximum comfy.

What do you think about all the Christ stuff?

>What do you think about all the Christ stuff?

Knowing that Salinger was Jewish, I found it rather interesting to read his interpretation of Christianity. Honestly, I don't know much about the Bible and Jesus Christ, so I couldn't quite discern all the meaning of their discourse. But it was apparent that Franny yearned for some kind of spiritual direction. Maybe Franny and Zooey's discourse was Salinger's catharsis for his own ambivalence toward Christ, religion, or the like.

Nine stories is great, desu

I love it. I read laughing man first because it was mentioned in Ghost in the shell. But all nine stories are maximum comfy read. I especially like the Eskimo one.

Salinger's own religious views were out there for the time. He was extremely fucked up after WWII and ended up embracing Eastern religion, which comes through in some of the stories (like Teddy).

One of his books that is supposed to be published at some point is a guide to Vedanta Hinduism, which sounds extremely fucking boring. I'm much more interested in his book about being a Nazi hunter in post-war Berlin.

Nine Stories is great, my favorite work of his. This was what got me into actual literature in high school.

It was the first time a vague and powerful sentiment was conveyed to me through a proxy story, in this case the feeling of being forced to continue on without necessities

Dude, For Esme is top shelf. I love the way he writes dialogue, especially when the characters are children.

>One of his books that is supposed to be published at some point is a guide to Vedanta Hinduism, which sounds extremely fucking boring. I'm much more interested in his book about being a Nazi hunter in post-war Berlin.

Are some of his works supposed to be published posthumously? What's the hold up for, friend? I want to read them RIGHT NOW.

Bump

I'm reading Franny and Zooey right now. It's a great book, too. Salinger was the one who got me into literature and writing way back.

He intentionally wrote Caulfield to be a nob right?
I keep seeing stuff on the internet about how he's a 'relateable teenage character'

I just wish they would hurry up and release some of the shit from the vault. Are there more Esmes out there?

Holden suffers from PTSD of his brother and friend's death, also of molestation by his teacher. It's a note by a madman.

>also of molestation by his teacher
good way to advertise that you didn't understand the novel

Holy shit thisHolden is, not insane, but damaged and paranoid. He couldn't believe that his teacher had any good intentions, because Holden has no faith in adults to be truthful and/or caring.

I really love Uncle Wiggigly in Connecticut and Teddy. The only story I didn't love was something-something Blue Period. I plan on reading Raise High the Roofbeam, Carpenters and Seymour: An Introduction soon, probably after finishing up Seiobo There Below.