ITT: what you're currently reading

Post em my friends.

Honestly, VNs have really reignited my love for reading again. I think I got too burned out when I read almost 150 books two years ago.

Finishing Céline's Exile trilogy. This is on par with Castle to Castle and North, so 8/10.

How does the whole thing compare to the two "main" ones? What about Guignol 's Band, have you read that?

They are not as good as Journey or Death. But if you like Céline, you'll like it.

Castle to Castle has much more rambling than North or Rigadoon, but it also has more memorable sequences.
The other two are more stable.

For comparison, I'd give them an 8/10, while Death on Credit is a 8.5/10 and Journey to the End of the Night a 9/10.

I haven't read Guignol's Band yet. In fact, I've ordered it as a Christmas gift to myself.

Disgusting, clean your fucking clothes

Also, how fucking fat are you? Jesus christ, get some fashion sense you fucking barbarian

It's just cat hair, stop being a fucking mong.

Clean and groom yourself, ape

Takes one to know one, sperg :^)

That is a damn good choice, though good luck discussing VNs on Veeky Forums of all places.
I still think about that series constantly. It is so fucking complex. I've never seen another writer do what he did, Japanese or otherwise.

Nice.

>snapchat.jpg

Yeah effort in using the camera app

It's bretty gud

Halfway through this. The first one was ok I guess but this one has a lot more action

>Hesse

About a quarter of the way through, really enjoying it. Does it get a lot more challenging in the middle and later chapters? I've heard it's a difficult read but it's been a breeze so far.

Anyone read this book ?
Found it in a thrift shop , looks pretty good but very short .

It's not a difficult read. People just like to bitch about how long and descriptive it is.
It is, however, the best American novel to date.

Dry as fuck actually, I don't know what I expected but 100 pages in I feel it's going to be hard to finish.

No its just boring AF.

Some user on here recommended this to me... I think he was yanking my chain.
It starts out pretty strong, possibly because I empathize with the beginning, but then quickly lives up to its pretentious title. It almost seems to be trying to be ironic. At this point, reading it is like trying to eat a loaf of stale bread whole with strep throat. Incredibly difficult, in other words.
Bottom line. Don't buy this book. I did get lucky for a couple of bucks though.

ulysses. yes, translated
have already ordered it in english though. i knew i was going to read it at least a few times, so why not read one of these times translated?

slow and depressing but I still like it--100 pages in

I can't believe I didn't read this earlier. I'm about 2/3 through and I think it's easily his best and most concise fiction

Damn good book

Mary Russell's War by Laurie R King.

One of an excellent series of books speculating that a retired Sherlock Holmes apprentices and later marries a young woman into a fellow detective. Lots of fun and the audiobook reader is excellent at characterizing the laconic drawl of Holmes juxtaposed with his snippy exasperated partner.

if you like it try the heaney one

Is it as good as higurashi? Never got into VNs. What are some of your other favorites?

Yeah I didn't finish it, almost though.
Gave some nice insight into the nasty war ww1 was.

Is this a good book for working out if Infinite Jest might be for me? Good intro to his work?

Pretty much the last of Nietzsche's works I had left to read, and one of the most difficult - with the exception of Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

I read the first few sections today, but it's still a little hazy. As far as I understand it, the Apollonian refers to all things pertaining to 'dreams/ideals/etc', and the Dionysiac to all things pertaining to 'ecstasy/passion'? Apollo and Dionysus were gods of art and typically opposed to one another, but reconciled via Greek Tragedy?

It's weird that Nietzsche felt so strongly about this stuff. It seems very distant today.

I find the way King writes pretty tiresome sometimes. I would have said its his best work so far if he didn't use an ass pull to get the plot where he wanted it to go

I liked and read a lot of king when I was younger.

Is the Gunslinger worth reading on it's own or is it just the shitty first book in a good series? I picked it up from a charity shop.

Im reading Meditations at the moment. Sorta wanna read some fiction along with it but I'm too scared to read any of the fiction I have.

good goddamn book so far

Just 21 pages in and my underpants are already getting soiled in pre-cum.

What am I in for?

thats a really boring cover mate

Different cover though

I haven't read it but I have heard from several people that it's actually really funny

>why not read it translated?
Don't a majority of the quirks and comedy come from the words used and some meta-digging, or can it be effectively translated?

it's nietzsche's most important work, imo.

you have to remember that this isn't philosophy, but philology, a very different practice which is a combination of book history and archival/library science, with some literary criticism/philosophical speculation tossed in for garnish. the Birth is a spit in the face to all that, a dionysian eruption against the stifling apollonian must in which nietzsche had been taught. this book lost him his teaching post, and i really think that his whole philosophical career is the work of justifying it.

it's definitely a little hasty, but you can roughly associate apollo with form and dionysius with content—this assignment gets pretty radically switched in the tragic synthesis, and of course, there are dionysian forms and apollonian contents. but it's a good way to think about the relationship dream, ideal, proposition, logic, and form entertain with passion, ecstasy, desire, and flow.

it's really a treat of a book.

i'm reading these right now

I put IJ down because it just became so pretentious, but I think a lot of that was just me expecting too much. How does Oblivion compare on that front?

the cover doesn't matter user

it's what's inside the book that matters

I want what's inside you user.

I always found this funny
>don't judge a book by its cover
>cover is meant to sell you on the book

University of California Press is GOAT, my man. Would love to hear how you like it.

It's a fantastic work. Difficult to grasp, to say the least, though it is astoundingly beautiful. Krasznahorkai will be remembered as one of the undisputed masters of fiction.

Halfway through.

a quote, "i got sort of sensuously drunk while reading it"

>Mary Russell's War
Cheers, didn't know she had a new one out. Found my new years read

Just finished Wool, first in the Silo series by Hugh Howey. Would compare it to Folding Beijing in tone and genre - very humanistic and character-based in a sci-fi setting. Recommended, but not for fans of hard sci-fi. About to reread Too Like The Lightning.

>don't judge a book by its cover

I never said this. I believe in judging books somewhat by their cover, 'somewhat' being the keyword here. A cover primarily represents publishing house, as does any spine; this is why we can almost instantly recognize any Penguin or NYRB books stocking the shelves. However, if a given book happens to be popular enough to be picked up by a wide variety of publishing houses, like the notoriously heinous Wordsworth for example, and the reader picks up the work for this exact popularity, rather than the cover, then it's quite obvious that the reader is purchasing based on literary reputation, rather than graphic. And if the reader attempts to ascribe any meaning to the book's cover after the fact of specifying the desired book itself, then they're simply being unnecessarily superficial. There's no reason, other than wanting to have a pretty bookshelf, which I understand to the extent of actually having options, that one should really care about the cover of the book at all. So to mention in a reply meant to express what book an user is currently reading that the provided picture is of a different cover is entirely irrelevant to our understanding of what exactly is meant to be communicated: mainly, the book being read itself—not the cover. I mean really, I shouldn't have to explain this at all.

I'm pretty sure that user was just joking.

Not on its own but that series is probably the best thing he's done other than the stand. In saying that if you've read lit tier books you won't find it amazing

He was talking about the general nature of why we use cover art no need to sperg the fuck out

> dave eggers
> ever
rest easy knowing you learnt something user

Surprisingly good, only cost £1 from a charity shop too

can't tell because I haven't read the original yet, but I saw an user saying that the few things lost in the translation he read were the puns (don't know in which language he was reading).

I am on chapter 7 and enjoying it a lot though, probably missed a lot of puns and what not but did have some good laughs. This translation is considered the best to my language (brazilian portuguese), it is the only one where the translator, Antonio Houaiss, kept the big variety of words and all of the vulgarities and obscenities of Ulysses, after all they are a big part of it.

i love yates so much, he's so clear headed about how people are and how they screw up

i will sperg out whene'er I damn well please

whene'er is a good time to sperg but you look like a turboautist when you do it

This book is naturalism at its finest - and I don't really anything to be complained about of the dirty, nihilistic view of the man Lehtonen gives us, like some do
Reading it a second time I give the beginning much more credit, as it sets the day off so perfectly and the progress to the heat of the day
Really a great book, it feels like summer in the countryside

I finished reading Haruki Murakami's Undergound a few hours ago. I think I'm going to start Pessoa's The book of disquiet tomorrow.

Don't even consider reading the sequels.

cant wait to finish this. its good but so fucking long

This brick of salt

>Cant wait to finish it
You're reading it wrong

Nice choice with James. Beast in the Jungle is masterpiece. It could almost be a Realism manifesto imo.

His diary desu.

Fucking phone shit.

That's a sick book cover.

why

Its informative and Junger's prose is pretty good but it's crazy dry. I finished it but wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't very interested in WWI.