So I want to end up working as a Software Developer/Engineer...

So I want to end up working as a Software Developer/Engineer, now because of the memes and because I want to do something a bit more challenging, I've come down to two major choices: A Computer Science and Mathematics joint major(Not a double major) or Computer Engineering. What do you guys think scientifically speaking would be a better option? Part of me wants to study Math and still gain knowledge in my actual field and another half wants to study engineering and still gain knowledge in software. What do?

Do a double major with Computer Engineering and Math.

Computer Engineering is focused on hardware.

>What do you guys think scientifically speaking would be a better option
>scientifically speaking
>scientifically

Stop being autistic, this isn't a matter of science.

If you study math without the purpose of doing math then eventually you'll hate your life.

Maybe at the beginning you will be fine learning calculus and linear algebra which are highly applicable and then after that you could pick good electives like numerical analysis and such but when you are busting your ass studying for a topology final you are likely to fail and it is apparent to you and everyone how useless the 300 pages of book you are funneling through your asshole will be for your future, you may just pull the trigger.

Yes but you learn software also

What class would have topology in it?

... a topology class?

Topology is one of the three pillars of modern mathematics. If you think you can get a math degree and can avoid having to take topology then either you are delusional, or you are very knowledgeable about the shittiest schools in the world.

just do whatever you want dude
engineering is more hardware and CS more software

this thread belongs on /adv/ btw

Its a half math major half com science major

I know but I know I will without a doubt get better responses here.

A CS+Math franken-major typically won't have topology. You won't even have a real analysis course but take the weaker "advanced" "calculus" course that future school teachers take which is at the level of spivak. The algebra requirement is commuted from abstract algebra to simply proof based linear algebra.

So I know either major will be pretty good but what would be better?

Just do CS + Math

Study as much math as you can; most CS students are ass at math.

Since The CS/Math is totally half and half, is Computer Engineering roughly like a Electrical Engineering/Com Science split or am I wrong?

Tell us what school you go to so we could look at the curriculum.

I'm similar to you, I'm just scared of being replaced by h1b pajeets if I go the compsci route

Adding onto this, would comp engineering save me from that?

I want to go to MIT lol

But realistically I'm doing the first half at CC so it'll be a Engineering transfer or a Com Sci transfer. My fall back but still bretty good public uni that I will guarantee get into is University of Massachusetts - Amherst

My other options are (I really want to stay in the northeast)

Boston University
Northeastern University
Tufts
Cornell
Vanderbilt
Rice
Carnegie Mellon

these schools have realistic acceptance rates(15%-30%) and seem like would give me a nice amount of institute aid

Shit if a Com Eng program has a bigger focus on hardware ill just add a CS minor or something idk

>Shit if a Com Eng program has a bigger focus on hardware ill just add a CS minor or something idk

Just learn CS on your own. It's easy.

Honestly both degrees involve extended periods of loneliness, repetitive unfullfilling work, never being a boss and always being told what to do, RSI problems down the road, extensive mental fatigue due to sometimes having to generate highly complex algorithms and then backtracking because the implementation is ultimately buggy, the list goes on and on and on

Why don't you get into a non-shit school before calling majoring in a field too easy. Shit schools will have every major be easy.

What does he need the screwdriver for?

I didn't say com sci was easy

>anyone who criticizes my major goes to a shitty school

every time

You'll be replaced by a pajeet by the time you finish.

OP you are making a mistake.

So what do you advise he majors in?

You're not going to transfer into MIT from a cc so you can remove that from the list. MIT wants their transfers to be at or above their current class, and CCs just don't offer the classes. E.g. MIT finishes calc and linear algebra in freshman year and then moves into diffeq fall semester of sophomore year. A Cc student will finish calc 1-3 by their spring semester of sophomore year and MAYBE take a watered down linear algebra class.

I think you have a decent shot at some of the easier "elites" in the northeast like leheigh, NYU, etc. if you keep a 4.0, but cross out Cornell, Carnegie, northeastern, and Vanderbilt. These schools have sub 10% admission rates for engineering transfers

Most pure math programs don't even REALLY get into topology though. Typically the first actual topology class is an early grad class

You probably would have to stay for 4 years, but if you did Carnegie Mellon, you could do CS/CE joint major and it's an AMAZING program. But you would have to stay for all for years and pay the $60k a year... also you'll want to kill yourself the whole time (if any one tells you otherwise they didn't take that program there).

> MIT finishes calc and linear algebra in freshman year and then moves into diffeq fall semester of sophomore year
That's such a dumb pacing. As a math major at Pitt I was literally able to take an analysis course during my freshman year and already had my linear and ODE done by the end of that year.
I feel like half of these "prestigious" schools are so lacking in undergrad

yeah, you're right, bruh - the education you're getting at Upitt is soooo much better than MITs program. never mind that what I listed is typical only for engineers, and that most kids entering will have already taken their calc sequence.

Nice analytical skills.

That's absolutely pathetic. At my CC, we were taking graduate level analysis our first semester of freshman year

Is that Adam Driver?

So I was looking and Cornell has a 5-8% engineering transfer acceptance rate shit I didn't take into account the engineering rate is different from the regular transfer acceptance rate. Besides a 4.0 how does one improve their odds? Is their anywhere that just has engineering transfer rates listed cause I've only ever seen regular transfer rates

Yeah just maybe for graduate school but I think their transfer acceptance rate is like 2%

>tfw never getting into MIT

Why even live?

The only way I would go to private school is if they give me solid institute aid. I'm not trying to accumulate more then 50k or so

Might be difficult if they are in different schools - I decided to try and do this (with a BA in math at that) in junior year and found out I couldn't because they have totally different basic gen ed and cs reqs. Have to stick with math minor, and double majored in EE/CE instead (only a few extra classes in DSP and stuff which I like). If you plan for it or it works better at your school though this is the way to go imo

Basically but it can be different, at my school CEs take core CS classes like algorithms & data structures and the rest is shared with EEs, except for a class or two per term (stuff like VHDL, microcontrollers, networking, operating systems). And some higher level classes won't be covered by either, like VLSI

Yuropoor here. We had topology in 2st semester, as part of discrete math. It wasn't comparable to the topology that pure math has, but managed to kill right about half of the class.

>found out I couldn't because they have totally different basic gen ed and cs reqs

Did you speak to the department adviser/chair? They almost always allow you to substitute equivalent or superior courses (grad analysis for adv calc, programming in C/C++ for CS' java 101, physics4engineers for gen physics)

>>CS
>1st year
Bullshit java/OO coding class
Bullshit data structures class
Piss easy calculus classes
Piss easy matrix algebra class
[If you're lucky] physics I&II for non-science majors

>2nd year
Watered down "computer architecture" class
Pompous software engineering class
Pathetic discrete "math" class
Watered down "probability" class
Crash course on formal languages and automata

>3rd year
Pathetic algorithms course
Watered down computability and complexity theory course
Laughable networks course
Laughable database course
Crash course on various programing languages

>4th year
Laughable computer security course
[If you're lucky] an Operating Systems class
[If you're lucky] a Compilers class
Horseshit AI with trivial machine learning
5-10 student team Capstone with one dude doing all the work
and all the bullshit easy electives you want

>>CE/ECE/EE
>1st year
C++/C Coding class
C++/C Data Structures and Algorithm
Easy vector calculus
Piss easy matrix algebra class
Ordinary Differential Equations
Physics I&II
Chem I&II
[if you're unlucky] one or more of Engineering Statics, Engineering Dynamics, Mechanics of Materials, Engineering Thermodynamics

>2nd year
PDEs, Complex Variables, or Advanced Engineering Mathematics [which is half of each]
Probability and Random Processes
Numerical Analysis
Signal and System Analysis
Circuits
Physics III
Digital Logic
An actual Computer Architecture class

>3rd year
Electronics I&II
Communication Systems
Digital Signal Processing
[if CE or ECE] Discrete Math with Coding and Information Theory
[if EE or ECE] Control Theory
[if EE] Electromagnetics
[if CE] Operation Systems
[if CE] Digital System Design
[if CE] Embedded Systems

>4th year
Capstone where everyone actually does shit
[possibly] Economics
[if you're unlucky] Ethics
Electives [for CE]:
Compilers
Computer Vision
Computer Graphics
VLSI Design
Networks
Cryptography
Reverse Engineering
Information Theory
Convex Optimization
Distributed Computing
among others

nice pasta

Yeah, there were those problems (some of which they said they couldnt replace for some reason), and then the B.A. has a bunch of classes for gen eds like social sciences, fine arts, etc, but for engineering they are like "anything that isn't STEM is a gen-ed" so I'd have to take a ton of extra gen eds on top of the math classess :/ Could have worked it out if I planned it earlier but I didn't realize I liked math until I was almost out of math classes for my major

Comp E. is a meme, undergrad Comp Sci. is a meme.

Do a pure math undergrad if you want to go straight to grad school. Otherwise grab a real engineering degree (ME/EE), get a sick job because you're not a brainlet that'll pay for your Masters, and then when you're done get a PhD and retire to academia.

>tfw my university doesn't allow double majors
Fucking asshats.

>is Computer Engineering roughly like a Electrical Engineering/Com Science split or am I wrong?
Really depends. No one seems to really know what a Comp E. program should look like. My university just switched the CompE catalog from being 95% of the EE catalog with a couple of the strict EE classes being swapped for CS electives to 50% of the CS catalog, 25% of the EE catalog, and electives. They don't even have to take multi-variable calc anymore.

>Just learn CS on your own. It's easy.
This. You can easily Transition to a Comp Sci job with an EE degree and the right experience. Going from Java applets to VLSI design is going to be much harder.