Put greatness and strenght before your own happiness

>put greatness and strenght before your own happiness

how is this not a moral doctrine?

the only way i can understand it is by understanding greatness as an upgraded/better happiness.

It is my man. Neitzche wasn't a nihilist , he just believed morals didn't start from any objective standard like someone like Plato would say. When Neitzche says we should put greatness and strength before our happiness he is speaking about the fulfilment of creating your own virtue, which isn't easy. To do so you would have to place many things before your own happiness.

but what is the point of doing it if it sacrifices your own happiness?

what's the point of happiness if you sacrifice greatness and strength?

These questions don't have succinct answers because you don't have an arbitrator for what 'the point' is in general. It's an aesthetic choice, which is the only way life's worth living.

experiencing a full life

>he fell for the hedonism meme

Because happiness as refered by him is a wide concept which represents mainly just satisfaction and "comfortableness". In other words, a comformist individual, while he proposes a new POV of life where you can be an Übermensch and fulfill the real happiness(today's concept) or "greatness".

Most "happiness" moments we all have had have been when we felt "great" and unstoppable. I'm not saying that's all, but I think Nietzsche despised the actual present culture, and admired the men who do what other men can't do. Surpass themselves. Be the "best" version of themselves.

happiness is a symptom
strength is a cause

hedonism =/= happiness

if he is talking about hedonism when he talks about happiness, i would understand when he places greatness before it, because it would mean greatness can bring you happiness and fullfillment in your life, otherwise he is cucking his own self interest to the spook of greatness.

Nice to see Veeky Forums btfo'ing OP
It seems like you fags finally started reading

you're reducing self interest to the sensation of a chemical (dopamine) rather than the majesty, triumph, domination and victory of the individual which can only come through suffering and pain

Get out you fucking hedonistic pleb

You first have to realize that, contrary to what the Utilitarians would have you believe, happiness is NOT necessarily the highest ideal. GBS put it best, albeit in reference to religion:

>The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.

What are you drunk on, OP?

What have you been drinking?

Why do you want to be drunk on happiness? Are there not other sensations that can at least compare, if not excel it? Being satisfied, for example. Being content. Feeling the extent of your power and what you have wrought with it?

He refers:
greatness=surpass
and happiness=comformism

I don't really understand this that well but i'd just add

>the only way i can understand it is by understanding greatness as an upgraded/better happiness.
They are two separate domains. Happiness is short and not lasting, it comes and goes. Strength is something which you build and develop and it gets you trough the hardship that life is. Without it you are probably gonna be miserable as fuck, going trough life weak isn't all that. The feeling of happiness is something you get when you achieve something, or something good happens or whatever, but it don't last.

So what do you do? You aim for strength of character. You aim for competence in the necessary skills that a person needs to have in order to live life. You aim to build up personal courage to deal with whatever needs to be dealt with and then you deal with it.

You aren't gonna be happy when someone in your family is dying from a horrible disease or, or maybe you'll get one, or maybe someone you know has substance problems. Life is usually filled with these things and so being happy is often not really realistic and its not a great thing to aim at. Aiming at being strong and competent to deal with the hardships of life and then being content as a result of your ability to deal with it is probably better (and maybe that is where happiness comes from). Aristoteles says that happiness comes from virtue.

strength enables one to take, protect, or replace what he needs to be happy

Good post user

>Put moustaches and an improbable human condition before happiness

Then you break down into hysterics, hug a horse, and go into a coma. Seriously, not attacking his character outside of his works. He is the first philosopher I read, but damn, if you are contextualising the Ubermensch and this is what happens, damn, damn...

It's just a suggestion. You could be a pathetic untermensch if you really want to- but do you really want to?

>He is the first philosopher I read
It shows.

but isn't this basically stoicism?

from what i know nietzsche hated stoicism.

beat me to it

It's not stoicism. You want to trivialize everything and then reduce its concept with "basically X is Y".

Happiness is a short term instinctual pleasure that you need to rise above to feel a greater sense of accomplishment and rise above these animal shackles.

That's my ideology. I picked it from the trash can because it still seemed good to me for consumption.