George R.R. Martin's Veeky Forums Trial

This day is George R.R. Martin's Veeky Forums Trial. Is he a genius or a hack? Please don't let the shitty HBO show cloud your judgment.

Other urls found in this thread:

scribd.com/document/286935556/This-Tower-of-Ashes
squareeyed.tv/2015/12/02/this-theory-about-jorah-mormont-would-make-an-amazing-game-of-thrones-movie/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

His writing has always been cheap sensationalist fantasy, why would today be any different

the inception of this thread is very proof that he is indeed a genius

although a genius on what terms? I do not know.

Everyone knows he's a hack. I just want to know if he's still a virgin.

>war is brutal
>royal families play the game of thrones in which the common folk suffer tremendously
>it's all a distraction from what really matters
>let me expound on this from the perspective of a thousand characters across twenty weighty tomes

George's love life is a true wonder, my friend:

He's currently married to a woman named Parris, but his youg love life wasn't that successful. In the 70s he was literally cucked twice. There's not much known about the first time he got cucked, but the second time is topkek story -- His GF, whom he loved so much, left him for his best friend. He was so butthurt about it he turned it into a sci-fi story called This Tower of Ashes. That GF is Robin Hobb (yup, the one who wrote the Farseer Trilogy) and she's still his friend to this day.

This Tower of Ashes (15 pages and worth the read kek): scribd.com/document/286935556/This-Tower-of-Ashes

I agree on your argument that there are way too many POV characters. There's an old letter -from back in 1991- wherein GRRM summarizes his ORIGINAL plan of ASoIaF as a trilogy. It was way different and with fewer characters. You can find it by googling "asoiaf original plot letter" or something close.

Jorah got cuckolded by a Volanteen merchant, Khal Drogo, Daario, Hizdhar Zo Loraq and soon by Jon Snow.

Is Jorah the ultimate cuckold?

yes

>and he is going to kill daenerys

squareeyed.tv/2015/12/02/this-theory-about-jorah-mormont-would-make-an-amazing-game-of-thrones-movie/

That's one of the most tinfoil-y theories out there, amigo. The core fandom of ASOIAF doesn't believe it. Only tryhard normies do.

maybe. but come on, having jorah the explorah kill dany would destroy the internet. you can't put something like that past grrm. you just can't.

ill admit i'm more of a casual than super-fan. but ever since i saw this theory i can't unsee it, it just makes too much sense for me. having jorah shank dany to make lightbringer for jon - if it's even him who gets it - i just can't not believe that george has flirted with this as a possibility. what would be more horrendously brilliant for an endgame moment than that?

anyways, give me your prediction for how jorah's storyline ends, because if it's not that then i don't know.

He'll die fighting the White Walkers.

Dany is Azor Ahai. Lightbringer is the three dragons. Khal Drogo is Nissa Nissa -- When dany burned him at the pyre, a flaming sword (which is the dragons) came to life.

Jon is the Prince who was promised, because he's Rhaegar's son (making him a prince) and Lyanna's last words were "promise me, Ned" (making jon promised) thus The Prince that was Promised.

This post: is meant for you

yeah, i figured it was.

anyways, thanks for sharing your predictions. they do make sense. it's just that i feel like having jorah just die bravely against the walkers doesn't do as much with his character as i might have thought george could have.

so while in part the reasoning for killing dany would seem weird, it doesn't mean george couldn't figure out a way to do it; just that i'm not seeing it myself and i'm always primed for the worst now with that show now. having jorah kill dany does seem to me like it would be the biggest moment of the story so far, and i feel like george likes to do these things.

but i'm probably wrong and just overthinking it. i've been wrong about most things w/regards to that show

He's an entertaining writer. The problem is his stories have no depth, nor do they ever try to do anything other than entertain.

The first three ASOIAF books are all very well written, fast paced books with interesting characters. It's good writing. I won't say anything bad about that.

Then he loses all sense of direction in the next two books, and they turn out to be shit. I think he's gotten lazy and relies now too much on existing characters being exciting, when in reality they need to do stuff to actually be exciting.

People who compare him to Tolkien are literally retarded though. Tolkien is the father of modern high fantasy, and built a world with very deep and fascinating lore. The best thing about GRRM is a likeable midget that's only likeable because he's the voice of reason in a world full of idiots.

intrinsic in his writing, which if you look beyond the paltry political message and seek the metaphysical reality he is constructing in his much praised "fantastic realm" you find a divine influence that can only be described as repugnant. (God is real, life has meaning, its all inscribed in stone, no youre not wasted.) most importantly in this obnoxiously explicit use of gods to inscribe meaning thru confusion, and their repulsive postmodern application (read sophocles &c), is the rejection of individual will and a vehement imposition of destiny. the over abundance of deusex machina leaves the reader with not only feeling thicc with the influence of a divinely driven plot, but with a veritable feeling of hopeless hope necessitating surrender to god's great graceful plan. martin not only falsely values TALENT over SKILL (im mostly triggered by this), but explicitly rejects the individuals ability to either change themselves, or actively change the world in their image. only those who have been chosen are given the ability to act. all others are condemned to a purely reactionary existence and are condemned by the same god that blessed john snow and his future whore with jesus tier rising and unironic dragons.

in his book we find also find reversal of the traditional masculine and feminine dichotomy, serving to forward a political progression which i think this entire board is in agreement when i say is horrifying in its confirmation of the frankfurt schools lasting influence in america and the terriffic confirmation of both cultural marxism and the historical dialectic; with jsnow leaving to join a group of celibate black clad nuns, rejecting political power, lionizing self control, etc. only through a woman is he saved from a life otherwise sacrificed to a pointless ideology founded entirely upon being an early warning system. such nobility. fucking bite me you old fat fuck.

and we have that platinum bitch whoring herself and desperately seeking political influence through any means available to revenge upon an abstract entity for dispossessing "her" of her property. which she never really had, and only feels she has a right to due to nepotistic inheritance, i mean does the realm even fucking exist? and why do men follow her? does it have anything to do with her irrestible feminine magnetism, or is it another divinely imposed quality that she will not be stopped until god wills it. also the men surrounding her are unidimensional in their neigh blind masculinity (read: shiteology) and effeminate.

essentially hes just another life desperately seeking to sublimate his existential terror as he nears an inevitable death, (his generation GOT THOROUGHLY FUCKED BY A SHIT CULTURAL EDUCATION) through the creation of an image that in the end everything works out. his application of the chorus (everyone who has died thus far)... i could go on but fuck writing critiques of works i havent even read im a rhetorical orator not a fucking writer.

You're *supposed* to everything about it. That's the art. Well played fat fuck Martin.

I chuckle every time I remember he got away with that shit with the 4th book. How is that not a career ender?

One criticism I have never seen of him that he absolutely deserves is that he ripped a lot of his most memorable characters from I, Claudius.

Tyrion = Claudius
Cersei = Livia, and kinda Livilla
Joffery = Caligula, Nero
Jamie = Germanicus
King Robert = Augustus kinda sorta
Stannis = Tiberius
Theon = Herod Agrippa kinda sorta

I'm sure there are more than that but I can't think of them at the moment. He changed enough to void outright plagiarism but he obviously "borrowed" so fucking much it's pathetic. You could also say he is just ripping off history, but Robert Graves did a lot of inferring and extrapolation to craft their characters so he's still ripping of Graves and his characterizations.

I read ASoIaF when I was still a pleb so my opinions are not well fleshed out but I recently read Tuf Voyaging and enjoyed if thoroughly as some light sci-fi and I usually enjoy anything that has genetic engineering as the forefront
When he's at his best he's great but his average isn't good-average, it's lackluster. Feels like he doesn't know what he's gonna do with Arya or Bran but he's been writing for longer than I've been born so I would think he understands writing more than I do

Is this pasta? If not, it should be

What happened with the 4th book?

dude hes a brilliant guy if he meant all of it. lmao what if thats why its so disgustingly long.

Tyrion, Jon Snow, and Danaerys are all completely absent.

We get to read about Sam, Cersei, Brienne, Jaime, the Dornish, and Sansa.

No one does anything worthwhile except Jaime and Cersei. Jaime has some interesting character development at the end of the book, and Cersei also does some stupid shit that gets her into a lot of trouble. Other than that, it's pretty boring.

That's nothing compared to the 5th book where LITERALLY nothing happens at all. People liked it because it had Jon, Tyrion, and Dany back, but they literally did nothing the entire book. They just stood around and talked. Tyrion decided it would be cool to start jousting on pigs with some other midget just so he wouldn't hurt her feelings.

It's literally shit. GRRM showed his true colors. He should have stopped after 3.

ive cracked the got codex its a sadistic power play on the part of a dying old man to dupe millions with his intensely resentful intellect.

While your review seems pretty thorough (based on what little I know of the books based on hearsay and watching the show) and it cannot be offhandedly rejected, I think it also points to your own existential despair. What you are doing is essentially discovering another existential despairer's life effort to find meaning in life and you are pouncing on it harshly because of your own cynicism and pain. A better review would not be so biased with one's own subjective ailments.

>a likeable midget that's only likeable because he's the voice of reason in a world full of idiots.
>because he's the voice of reason

That's show-Tyrion, friend. Book-Tyrion is a despicable cunt who literally killed a pimp, chopped him off and served him as soup to the Lannister army because he wanted to keep one of his whores. And yes, Tywin's hate towards Tyrion is justified in the books, unlike the show that makes Tywin hate him for the simple reason of being a dwarf.

Tbh his first couple books are actually pretty decent fantasy. Not great literature but better than average for the genre. He goes off the rails in the last two though.

....but I want to know what happens in the end.

desu its pretty good, better than most sci fi/fantasy ive read

>scribd.com/document/286935556/This-Tower-of-Ashes

Jesus.

I've literally only read the books. I don't recall Tyrion killing any pimp, or chopping up anyone and serving them as soup.

Tywin despises Tyrion for two reasons. 1. He's a dwarf, and 2. he doesn't take his position as a Lannister seriously enough because of his adventures with whores.

>would destroy the internet

How much of the Internet do you think fat girls make up?

>how much of the Internet do you think fat girls make up?

i don't know. i generally try to avoid all human contact as much as possible. human beings are scary to me

that said, having dany get killed after spending basically the entirety of the story journeying to westeros would be a middle finger of epic proportions, and part of me thinks that george just likes doing this to people. he's been telling us that winter is coming since the beginning. what is the darkest possible shit that he could do? he has to do something to deliver on this.

i mean how sure are you that the white walkers even get beaten anymore? maybe the land just falls into 12K years of darkness at the end and the dream of spring is just the hope that someday it will end. the night's watch just goes everywhere, watching everywhere, and waiting. watchers without a wall. in a thousand tiny fragmented communities. why not? who says the walkers even get beaten?

i know i probably sound like a hysterical retard myself. i'm really not. i'm not ultra-invested in the story anymore, it's been too long at this point. but i don't see how fragging dany in the ultimate anti-climax would be something that george martin would just say no to. there's no way she lives through the series. who better to do the deed than jorah?

anyways, i'm sure whatever TWOW contains it will be better than what i can think. but it has to be dark, and the darkest thing i can think of is fragging dany.

>he still thinks TWOW is still coming out

>he still thinks TWOW is still coming out

bah. ADOS? okay, maybe we don't hold our breath for that. but TWOW? absolutely we see that one. possibly in two chunks or something. but we're getting it. maybe even this year.

the show has two seasons left. but george can (and probably will) write this series forever. so maybe he waits out season 7 and releases TWOW at the end of 2017 to jump season 8. because maybe ADOS is just so brutally dark he knows that it wouldn't work for TV anyways. or he doesn't really want to end anything. seasons 7 and 8 of the show could basically just be TWOW in two parts and then he can just kind of write ADOS on his own terms and release it whenever he likes, which could well be never, but maybe it won't matter by then. people will have had their fill of westeros and that will be that.

Hack who got lucky because his average at best, shit on average, fucking terrible at worst book was picked up by some fuckwad at HBO.

If it wasn't for the series the books wouldn't sell.

Here's hoping he doesn't die before ending the franchise so his works won't be mythicized by future Buzzfeed-tier "journalists" looking for clicks by using the nostalgia of current-day plebs. The less cultural impact he makes, the better.

Btw same goes for every contemporary meme-writer including Rowlings, the 50 shades author and Ernest Cline.

Their popularity is the product of clever marketing and unoffensive themes, books marketed towards a wide audience with a low standard.

It's too late to prevent Rowling's influence on literature but at least we're at a point where she doesn't inspire knock-off bestsellers.

I'm just tired, I've been reading the series since 2002 and I've given up any hope of seeing it finished.

What I don't understand is that GRRMs first three books in the series are solid. And everything after that is just dull. Which begs the question why did he deviate from his original trilogy plan if he had nothing more to do with these characters other than slowly meander towards the end?

Can someone explain to me why authors have a knack for being weird looking freaks? This guy is always wearing the same kooky getup. Why can't he just dress like a normal person? Same with Wallace and the diaper he wears on his head.