Colonizing Mars

SpaceX is currently working on deploying first people-carrying voyages in year 2025.

Elon Musk believes that by year 2075 there will be over one million people living on Mars.

Are we able to build these rockets and self sustaining habitable settlements on Mars?

Is this just over-hyped brainwashing fantasy or does this actually happen to be possible?

Picture kinda related

Other urls found in this thread:

waitbutwhy.com/2016/09/spacexs-big-fking-rocket-the-full-story.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

-60c fuck that shit nigga. unless they turning it into a tanning bed pleasure dome

the only thing people haven't figure out, is the economics of going to mars. The vikings, the spanish, the french, the portugese, and the english all went to the New World to get resources.

there has to be something on Mars that can be shipped back to Earth at a profit.

>SpaceX
>first people-carrying voyages in year 2025
pfhahahahahahahahahahaha

that said, yes, it is perfectly within our ability to do all of that
the catch is in the money

Martian equator temperatures during a summer day are warm enough for shorts.

Oh here, That's what I was thinking too. There's no pofit in doing it

shit bro you got a source. i might be jumpin on a spacex.

waitbutwhy.com/2016/09/spacexs-big-fking-rocket-the-full-story.html it's a really good article

a mars base won't turn a profit, so if it does get built it will be in the red for a long time (badumtish)
however, if it can be made cheaply and made self sustaining, we probably won't have to worry about the economics

>Are we able to build these rockets and self sustaining habitable settlements on Mars?

Rockets certainly. Self-sustaining habitats is harder, depends on your definition of self-sustaining. We surely can build habitats that can generate their own air, energy, fuel, water, food.

But a technological society needs a lot more complex products than that. Will there be a microprocessor factory on Mars? A factory capable of producing complex machinery? Large scale mining and refining industry? Biotech industry? Until there is, chances are that any Mars colony will not be truly sustainable and will have to rely on some imports from Earth to survive long term.

It will only be profitable once having too many children becomes illegal, and then rich Christians will move to mars to have big families.

Thanks a fine answer

Another question asking some medfag.
How will the low gravity(35% of earth's grvaity) affect human bodies in long term (a few generations)

Ive seen bunch of theories like people could grow taller. But also how will it affect our physique, muscles and bones?

Taller and considerably weaker in general, physiology-wise, to the point where born and raised Martian would have hard time chilling here with us.
People who spend 200 days on ISS come back with bird bones and muscle athrophy, but they have an earthling (I seriously want us to star calling it Terran, and Earth Terra, it's way cooler) build and recover quickly.
Chad from Earth going on a spring break to Mars would literally trash the whole bar solo.
Timmy from Mars going to Earth, would have problem with blood circulation, let alone bar fights.

>How will the low gravity(35% of earth's grvaity) affect human bodies in long term (a few generations)

Nobody knows for sure. This could actually be the biggest obstacle for a Mars colony. Other issues (resources, radiation) can be mitigated, but Martian gravity is what it is. This may actually be an important reason why future space colonists may end up mostly living on rotating space stations instead, and only use Mars/other bodies for resources.

which is why we should build a rotating torus onto the ISS. only needs to be big enough to spin up to mars' gravity with out significant Coriolis effect.

They wanted a centrifuge module on ISS long ago, but it got canned as a too small bang for the buck and I don't think there will be any significant additions to the station before Russians take their half and start building OPSEK and US segments get tossed into the Pacific in 2025.

the next space station needs to have a torus. There isn't anything else we can learn about humans living in free fall. while we still don't know anything about humans in low gravity.

besides. low G would make living a lot easier, and you can still have a free fall module or 5 to do your science in.

it sure looks nice in CGI videos, but how the hell would you even go about attaching rotating cylinder - or whatever shape really - onto a pressurized rigid body with shared atmosphere?

0.38G is a lot better than 0G.

An 80kg person would still weigh 30kg, there would still be gravity resistance to resist atrophy and orient circulation.

The rhetorical question you should ask yourself is if there's any healthy, normal people who are 38% as massive or 38% as physically active as other healthy, normal people. The answer is "yeah probably," I mean compare a fit gym bunny to an Olympic athlete, let alone an average relatively sedentary person

Weren't there mentions in 2012 or 2014 about sending people to mars in 2017?

I have no idea what I'm talking about but couldn't you just spin the entire thing? Or would that be too difficult to dock to / have other problems associated with it?

I'm not really concerned about native Martian health and well-being on their home turf, beyond what I've said about them coming to visit here and being all around physically inferior to us, by the nature of their gravity.
I find the idea of 230cm, 30kg lanklets rather amusing.

Reaching Mars is impossible. It is well known and understood that objects heavier than air cannot fly therefor carrying people or equipment there is preposterous idea more suited to the lunatics in the asylum rather than true Veeky Forumsentifically minded gentlemen. And even if per chance a machine is invented that is capable for a time to circumvent that well known physical limitation - probably similar to certain proposed highly impractical designs based on cannons - the costs of such construct would be so astronomical the entire endeavor will be utterly pointless and wasteful.
Let us focus on the important issues at hand.

Million people? If they had a ship that could bring 100 people and they were launching 1 rocket per month, there would be 60k people on mars. Of course they would have children, but even if... some part of population would have to be unemployed because of taking care of their offsprings. Not mentioning low G and radiation caused damage to their bodies after prolonged exposure.

No. The first SpaceX Mars landing was predicted for 2024, but has been postponed to at least 2026 already.

We're not going to know anything near a finalized schedule until the Red Dragon mission launches - it was scheduled for 2018, now it's 2020. If we're lucky the fucking thing MIGHT actually launch in 2022 and pave the way for manned landing by 2030.

If the station doubles as fuel storage as it should, there's no reason why you couldn't bust few dv's for spin up and spin down occasionally...
A lot easier than some eerie complex mechanism requiring perfect and long lasting huge ass bearings.

it's much more simple than having only a part of it spin, but you can forget about effectively observing anything outside, collecting solar power or having communications with earth, unless you put on a dish that perfectly counteracts the rotation etc...