/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Tips for good questions:
>provide context
>show partial work
>check stackexchange.com and wolframalpha.com
>stop forcing your cancerous asscrack pics before the threads hit the bump limit

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/sci/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_text=&search_subject=sqt&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_op=op&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=op
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplicatively_closed_set
wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Integrate[Floor[Log[y,x]],{y,2,x}],x=0.25
functions.wolfram.com/IntegerFunctions/Floor/21/01/01/0001/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist–Shannon_sampling_theorem
quora.com/Given-a-set-of-n 1-positive-integers-none-of-which-exceeds-2n-how-can-one-show-that-at-least-one-member-of-the-set-must-divide-another-member-of-the-set
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

if i put an helicopter in a train and i let it stay in mid air ,when the train starts what will it do?

It will go to the back of the train

when accelerating it moves toward the back of the train

at constant speed, if it has walls around it it moves with the train

wtf why did the last thread get deleted?

How do I find the inverse function of [math]f(x)=2x+sin(x)[/math]?

How do I find out how much needs to be added onto a non-injective function to "stretch" it into an injective function?

/sqt/ was hijacked by an autistic "math oracle" poster who would repost threads before they hit the bump limit just to force his image

warosu.org/sci/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_text=&search_subject=sqt&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_op=op&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=op

give me best source you know to start with mathjax. i have a mission. im aware of coding and basic understanding. need sth like a sorted base for teh commands.

We have
[math] \lim_{s\to \infty} \zeta(s) = 1 [/math].

So do I approach sums over n involving factors
[math] \zeta(n) - 1 [/math]
as in pic related?

E.g
[math] \sum_{n=1}^\infty \zeta(2n) - 1 = \dfrac{3}{4} [/math]

I fail to see how..

In the induction section of Lang's Basic Mathematics.
I have a good understanding of how the binomial theorem works, but I'm unable to factor numbers into the desired result. Steps 1 to 2, and 3 to 4 as pictured in particular.
I've understood and solved all previous examples and exercises in the book, but clearly my understanding is still lacking.
Not asking for advice on the specific exercise, but looking for additional resources to improve understanding of this area in general.

[math] x = 1 [/math]

test.

Note: Tried Khan Academy on factorization, found it to be too simple

What is "compositional product", it sounds straightforward but it's only briefly referred to in the notes as an example and google doesn't provide anything obvious.

are there different tex2jax delimiters on Veeky Forums?

im pretty sure ive once seen equations on /b/ but [math]... is not working. also the obvious ones.

why are heterohalidic gasses so rare?

In both steps, they just use

m! = (m-1)! · m

They use this 4 times.
E.g.

(n-k+1)! = (n-k)! · (n-k+1)

if this means molecular halides(cant find a proper translation) then check out molecular orbital theory.

Does anyone recall if there is a nicer proof for this. Maybe with some counting argument?

am i right in thinking the system is consistent if [math] \alpha=3,\beta=2 [/math] and if [math] \alpha\in\mathbb{R}\setminus\{3\},\beta\in\mathbb{R} [/math] or have i missed out another case? and also do the following look like the right the solution sets? [eqn] V=\{(-2\lambda,\lambda,1,2-\lambda):\lambda\in\mathbb{R}\}\,;\quad V=\left\{\left(2\frac{\beta-2}{3-\alpha}-4,2-\frac{\beta-2}{3-\alpha},1,\frac{\beta-2}{3-\alpha}\right):\alpha\in\mathbb{R}\setminus\{3\},\beta\in\mathbb{R}\right\} [/eqn]

just another test.

[math] \style{font-family:Arial}{T} = 1 [/math]

[math] T = 1 [/math]

[math]
\style{font-family:Arial}\mathrm{T} = 1
[/math]

[math]
T = 1
[/math]

T

[math]
\mathrm{T} = 1
[/math]

[math]
\mathrm{ \style{font-family:Arial}{Text.} } = 1
[/math]

[math] \mathrm{ \style{font-family:Arial Unicode MS}{TDH} } = T
[/math]

>Finished junior undergrad of B.S. Neuroscience program
>Competitive GRE scores but 3.23 GPA

a-am I gonna make it bros? I don't want to be a waiter at Applebee's....

[math] \mathrm{ \style{font-family:MathJax TeX}{T} } = 2T [/math]

[math] \mathrm{ \style{font-family:STIX General}{T} } = 2T [/math]

I have this binomial..
(x+x^2x^3...+x^7)(x^2+x^3+x^4+x^5)(1+x+x^2+x^3)

How do I figure out the coefficient of x^10 after expansion?

[math]
\style{font-family:STIX GENERAL}{T} = T
[/math]

[math] \mathrm{ {\sf T + 1} } = T [/math]

How do I find the interval for the definite integral?

[math] \color{blue}{Text} [/math]

it's probably arbitrary like 0 to 2pi

[math] \color{blue}{ \mathrm{ {\sf IM BLUE} } } [/math]

1) That's a polynomial
2) Choose a term from each of the three factors and multiply them. Count the number of combined terms which have x^10, and that's your answer.

[math] \small{\color{blue}{ \mathrm{ {\sf IM BLUE} } }} [/math]

[math] \footnotesize{\color{blue}{ \mathrm{ {\sf IM BLUE} } }} [/math]

[math] {\color{blue}{ \mathrm{ {\sf small{IM} } } } [/math]

[math] {\color{blue}{ \mathrm{ {\sf small{IM}} }}} [/math]

I didn't want to do that, it's rather tedious. Is there no way to solve this using pascals triangle or any other shortcut?

That's not correct.

[math] {\color{blue}{\mathrm{{\sf IM}}}} {\color{blue}{\mathrm{{\sf BLUE}}}} [/math]

then what? some kind of infinite series?

[math] {\color{blue}{\mathrm{{\sf IM}}}}/;{\color{blue}{\mathrm{{\sf BLUE}}}} [/math]

It's not some kind of infinite series. It's an actual interval. I just tried to plug in (0, 2pi) and I got the wrong answer. I'm particularly interested in figuring out the general method for solving these type of problems.

try 0 to pi then

Any algebraists here?

Need to see if there's a ring homomorphism f from Z_3 to Z_6, where f(1) = 1. So, f(1) being 1 makes everything determined by 1 (if that makes sense), so f(2) = 2 and f(0) = 0 (obviously). And that's that. Am I missing something?

Can someone explain why we need all these shitty tests for convergence/ divergence? Isn't it obvious what the sequence does just by looking at the terms or plotting a quick graph?

Are there any examples of sequences that look like they converge or diverge but actually do the opposite?

its all just nerd shit they do to feel important. you can tell by looking at the first 3 terms or so

[math] \sum {\frac 1{n^3\sin^2n}}[/math]

we don't learn sequences in Canada
that's a seperate course but my calc skills are good enough

How exactly does a PhD work? Like do you have to know your exact research topic as you apply for programs, or do you just apply for the concentration/advisor and then decide your topic later?

Not it.

fuck it's gotta be something 0 to a multiple of pi
0 to pi/2?

I don't know man. I'm confused. I don't really want to go at it by guessing. Just skipping this problem until later.

If money is the root of all evil,
it means that money squared = evil.

Is this why money is made either circular or rectangular?

How the fuck do I find the boundaries in problems where I have the find the area of a polar graph? This is fucking frustrating. WebAssign videos fucking blow so hard.

>rectangle
>squared
All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares, brainlet.

You are the one who is the brainlet here.
I clearly meant non square rectangles since i said squared money is evil

that rϕXrθ product is supposed to be =4sin ϕ

but i can't do it right always get wrong results

where am i screwing up?

This is injective. The derivative is 2 + cos(x), which is always greater than or equal to 1. So it's monotone increasing, thus injective.

4=1 mod 3, so 1=f(1)=f(2+2)=f(2)+f(2)=2+2=4, a contradiction.

A better question is why does it matter whether or not a series diverges?

its supposed to be a cross product, you did some weird term by term vector product.

I don't understand how the universe can function if two observers can look at the same thing and see different results

im pretty sure i used cross product

So that you don't waste time adding up tons of terms like a moron for nothing or a wrong answer.

Suppose that w=f(u) is a differentiable function. And that u = ax + by. Is the following computation always correct?

[eqn] \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{ \partial x}{\partial u} \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial x} = \frac{ \partial f}{ \partial u} \frac{ \partial u}{\partial x} [/eqn]

REQUESTING ALGEBRAIST

I have been doing this S I C C proof, and basically, all that is left to do, is this;
Ok, so I have show that an Ideal I is a prime ideal of a commutative ring A. I have also shown that any element not in I is a unit (in A), and now I have to show that I is a maximal ideal of A. How would I tackle this one? Feeling very stuck here. Perhaps try to show that A/I is a field? How does that even look like ..

Yeah, I figured that out, I was just too lazy to check the possibilities since I'm a dumb faggot.

Thanks anyway.

You've essentially got it. The set of units is multiplicative. So A - I is multiplicative, and so I is prime.

nigga the step in the middle is nonsense, don't treat derivatives like fractions
the outer equality is chain rule, yeah

clearly maximal because if you add any element to it then 1 would be inside

well you can also directly prove A/I is a field by considering the projection A -> A/I, see, every element will be u + I and inverses are preserved

YES, I GOT IT. Figured it out while taking a huge fucking shit (I always eat tacos before doing algebra for some reason, makes me think better). Thanks for the help, lads.

Also to , what does it mean for a set to be multiplicative?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplicatively_closed_set

Thanks.

Feels good to get a ton of help while I see many questions here passing by without getting any attention, kek.

So from what I understand, one-counter automata (PDA with a non-removable, non-placeable start-of-stack symbol and only one other stack symbol they can use) don't recognize all context-free languages. I believe counter examples include [math]\{ a^n b^m a^m b^n : m, n \in \mathbb{N} \}[/math] and strings of well-balanced brackets with two different types of brackets. How would I go about proving this?

could be both

you can draw a circle around a right-angle triangle, and you can draw a right-angle triangle in a circle, like pic related. the radius of the circle is the length of the hypotenuse. in the unit circle the radius is 1 so you don't need to divide by it (x / 1 = x) but if the radius is not 1 then the cosine is the adjacent leg divided by the hypotenuse.

But if the middle step is nonsense... how do you prove the chain rule?

how do i understand coordinate transformation? using the equations in pic related, doesnt that rotate the coordinates by -θ and not θ

I'm sorry guys, but i have been stuck on this part for atleast an hour now, and i don't even get it by looking it up at symbolab or wolfram.
Could anyone explain to me whats happening here? It should be so easy. But it can't get it right for some reason.

To be more specific here. I don't get the how it goes from the first part to the second part. The integral part from 2 to 3 is okey.

Anyone know how to integrate the floor function? Really at a loss with this one...

Pic related

>To be more specific here. I don't get the how it goes from the first part to the second part.
Making the explicit division of polynomials:
x^2-5x+6=(x-4)(x-1)+2

plugging in different values for x it seems to check out but i don't know how to show it in the general case

wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Integrate[Floor[Log[y,x]],{y,2,x}],x=0.25

I feel really stupid now. I should take a short break.
Thats super basic.

yes i agree, the first one i see now is incorrect but i do believe the second one. Again, no idea how to show it though...

see if this is of any help

functions.wolfram.com/IntegerFunctions/Floor/21/01/01/0001/

Try writing the floor as the exact value minus an error term bounded by 1, and use the formal definition of your integral (Riemann, Lebesgue, etc.) to derive the bounds.

how do i show that [math]\mathbf{a}=(1,2,1)[/math] and [math]\mathbf{r}=(1,0,1)+\lambda(1,2,1)[/math] are parallel? i know if two vectors are parallel, then [math]k\mathbf{a}=\mathbf{r}[/math] for some non-zero k, but idk what to do after that

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist–Shannon_sampling_theorem

this says a sample rate of (EXACTLY) 2B samples/second is sufficient, but other people have claimed that you need a sample rate GREATER THAN 2B (even if it's 2.000001). if you think about it, in the most extreme case of only having 2 samples in total to work with, you don't have enough information, you would need 3+ samples? so what's the deal, is EXACTLY 2B sufficient?

High school brainlet here can anyone help
Haven't started calculus yet so no shit like LH

If your hair grew half a foot overnight would you wake up dehydrated, or tired, or some shit?
I know that growing hair happens too slowly for any use of energy to be noticeable but didn't Harry Potter
grow his hair out a fuckload every time he tried to cut it? Wouldn't that give him a fucking hangover or something?

Prove that any set of n+1 natural numbers

quora.com/Given-a-set-of-n 1-positive-integers-none-of-which-exceeds-2n-how-can-one-show-that-at-least-one-member-of-the-set-must-divide-another-member-of-the-set

damn it , thank you

ln(x)/ln(y)=log_y(x)

solve for the values y_i so that log_(y_i)x=i, for each integer i>=2

then split up the integral to be a sum of integrals over each interval [y_i, y_{i+1}]

now each function inside the integral is constant over the region of integration

>Ethanol is water soluble, which means it enters the blood stream readily, there to be carried quickly to all parts of the body (most notably the liver and the brain). It’s also fat soluble;

How can a molecule be both?

No chemists on Veeky Forums atm so I guess I'll let the thread die and post it here again.

Multiply it