What books will help me be less of a misanthrope? Whenever I go out...

What books will help me be less of a misanthrope? Whenever I go out, I see myself sperging out inside with hatred and constant negative judgments about other people. And don't you fucking give me that normie shit like "just b urself bro," or "just get laid bro" or "just go outside bro" or I will come down there and poop down your fucking throat

Read Nietzsche.

Read pic related recently.

Truly learned a lot, but specifically to your point, you could learn much from Alyosha. Nonetheless a great read.

read some Henry James. people are just as anxiously performing themselves as you are.

a christmas carol

god bless, user :)

What did you learn from Alyosha?

Btw
>tfw no Lise gf

Read American Psycho

You might relate to the main character, who does the same thing as you

And reading about someone you relate to might make you feel better about humanity or at least about yourself, in a weird way

Reading blindingly positive optimistic books might backfire, because you'll naturally push against them

But reading the edgiest, spergiest book of all time might help

You'll have to read it user :^)

Being completely serious, I usually watch whatever is popular on netflix or whatever films are popular within my age group since none of them read. Reading is never going to help you bond with people, maybe there's certain books that will help you use situations to their advantage (Balthasar Gracian, La Rochefoucauld)

wait until you are older and all the teenage stuff has withered away in your mind, happens to most people by late 20s.

Herman Hesse- Steppenwolf or Siddartha

OP here. Thanks for the recs, but I've read all of the books mentioned here. Don't you guys have anything else other than "Veeky Forums memes 101"?

I read it last summer and all I thought of Aloysha was that he was incredibly effeminate

You might have read but you didn't understand.

nice projection on someone you don't know, dumbfuck

>What books will help me be less of a misanthrope?
Your assumptions are flawed, OP. Leave this board, go to Veeky Forums and read the sticky. Books can't fix what's wrong with you, weights might.
>my throat is open

open wide, bitch

*talks through cascade of shit pouring into my mouth*
people need other people to be happy *choke*
*gag* you can't cure it with books anymore than you can assuage hunger by looking at pictures of food *pained gurgle*
the tools to better your life are within you and the people around you, the sterile philosophies of long-dead ascetics won't help
*vomits*
i believe in you
*drowns in feces*

Anne of Green Gables. It's pretty much anime before anime.

Middlemarch

Thomas Bernhard. Any of his novels, really. I'd recommend Wittgenstein's Nephew but they're all pretty similar.

Anna Karenina or War and Peace
You'll have to accept their message, not just read them, of course

Read poetry.

Franny and Zooey.
Misanthropy is ultimately a juvenile attitude to have.

It's fine to have a fundamental disagreement with the way others conduct themselves and their lives. Hating them for it is not fine. It's to personal. It betrays either a lack of empathy or that you are lying to yourself to try and feel better about some personal failing.

Seems like you're trolling or you REALLY didn't understand the book.

True misanthropy springs from self-hate, or else its just called being an asshole. The most emphatic person I know is also the biggest misanthrope. He can't handle the hurt both he and everyone else dish out constantly.

How old are you, OP? This is important, because most of us go through a "I hate people" phase in our teenage years, but it goes away in your mid 20s if you aren't a total failure.

Try reading some humbling literature and some works on ethics and virtue. The Bible (Ecclesiastes, Proverbs, Psalms, Job are all good), Plato and Aristotle, Shakespeare. Realize you are vain and you have no right to hate or look down on anyone.

Honestly, though, I suspect you are just a bitter teenager. The only thing that is going to fix your problem is getting a job, going to college, and making friends.

There is a difference between hating people and passing negative judgement upon them. Are you conflating the two?

One can love their enemies and yet be critical.

Immature unsufferable pricks like you deserve nothing. Die alone.

Ambrose Bierce

>emphatic

you mean empathetic. but anyway, that's an interesting conundrum for your friend. sad, but interesting.

I second this
was going to recommend Steppenwolf

Read something with a good story. I know that most of /lit is deep thinking character driven stuff. Try something that is compelling. Jane Austen, for example.

A Confederacy of Dunces

>Jane Austen
>Compelling

>What books will help me be less of a misanthrope? Whenever I go out, I see myself sperging out inside with hatred and constant negative judgments about other people.
Why contain it?

aldous huxley - island

If you honestly want to be less of a misanthrope, you should start by getting off Veeky Forums. The literature you read won't have a major effect eitherway

not OP
b-but do i need to read a dozen books before that (the greeks and those before Nietzsche)?

which of his works should i read?

>tfw to dumb for the brothers karamazov
i don't get it, bad things happened to everyone? god allows suffering? 2deep4me tbqh

Thomas pls go to bed

you project out what you feel inside

Go volunteer or something, you fucking dickhead
Actually have conversations with people
Ask them how their parents are doing
Look them in the eye

You're just mad because you have no social skills