Lava

Can you drown in it?

Other urls found in this thread:

madsci.org/posts/archives/1999-11/943417499.Es.r.html
hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/KatrinaJones.shtml
youtu.be/lDxOhfiFsuc
news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/11/101102/pompeii-mount-vesuvius-science-died-instantly-heat-bodies/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No.

Probably not. Would you like to test my hypotheses, OP?

Stick your head in it, and inhale deeply.

Pretty sure there's no way to survive that.

So, yes.

Drowning can come from several reasons.

Either it is directly by a lack of breathable oxygen (as there is no O2 in water), but it is also due to fluid overvolume the lungs (in fresh water) or fluid overvolume in the body (salt water). This is because water is not directly corrosive or toxic to the body, allowing it to accumulate in a way that eventually deforms normal cell structure.

Lava would just burn you. Since its high temperature is directly harming to cells, it would kill you because of that.

Why does lava look so delicious?

It makes me hungry for cheese

Lava is melted rock. Your body (basically water) would hardly dent it. Only your head is denser than rock. Emphasis: "your."

Not entirely correct. Although you're undoubtedly wrong about it being rock and what physical traits rock has, in a liquid volume you can still penetrate it and hell if you had some sort of advanced equipment, swim in it. It'd be really ducking dense, but not too dense to enter.
>Sorry, not a postgrad or anything, just a welder who melts down steel and aluminum quite frequently, so don't quote me.

Geologist here. I suggest trying to breathe very mafic lava like from Hawaii because of its low viscosity. You can probably drink it at that viscosity (albeit once), breathing it is doubtful. But you can sure as hell try.

Hypothetical question. You could technically drown in it but realisticly itd be the intense heat not lack of being able to breathe that would kill you

Try swimming in a pool of concrete. It's less dense than pure rock, having some water in it. You would hardly dent it.

I guess it depends on what your definition of "drown" is. Can you cup some up and shove it your face and clog your tubes? Well, I guess, but I imagined the question was more like, would you sink into it and be overwhelmed by it?

Come to think of it.... yes. There's proof. There are concrete workers buried in the concrete of the Hoover dam. But that stuff fell on the victims. They didn't fall in and sink.

All this of course, nevermind the heat factor.

>clog your tubes

Clog your mom's tubes.

hahaha epic scientific comment buddy!
is this board always as informative as this?

>You could technically drown in
It would be too thick, you couldn't draw it into your lungs.

You're like 1/3 as dense as rock. If you could ignore the heat, you would totally sit on top of it, with most of your body sitting above the surface of the lava.

Better question:
If lava was a sauce/spread, what flavour would it have?
I'm betting my virginity that it would taste like a salty, strong ajvar.

Being inside lava would kill you via heat before you'd have a chance to drown.

Salty milk and pennies.

it's obviously orange flavoured

Lava=molten rocks, rocks are denser than human body is this what you asked OP?

why don't you go and test it?

>there is no o2 in water

Bruh.... Fish are a thing you know.

No, it doesn't act like the movies. It's completely nonfatal.

Isn't drowning specific to a liquid filling your lungs, preventing you from breathing?

Isn't a lack of breathable oxygen just suffocation?

No too dense, you will burn to death then your flesh will melt and become one with the magma.

O2 specifically refers to oxygen in its diatomic gas state

Lava isn't a liquid. You could suffocate, but not inhale it.

Lava turns out to have about the same density as concrete:
madsci.org/posts/archives/1999-11/943417499.Es.r.html

hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/KatrinaJones.shtml

Lava tends to be very dense but it does exhibit shear thinning properties. As this video demonstrates a jug of water disappears into the lava after impacting:
youtu.be/lDxOhfiFsuc

However, even if one survived such an impact one is probably going to get cooked before drowning becomes a problem. In pompeii air temperatures of 300 degrees C were enough to kill people in a fraction of a second: news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/11/101102/pompeii-mount-vesuvius-science-died-instantly-heat-bodies/

oxygen dissolved in water is still diatomic, doofus.

In order to drown in lava, you would first have to get submersed in it and survive long enough to suffocate. So no, you can't drown in lava.

Are you a retard?