I'm looking for some philosophy books to help me become a better person, learn deal with problems better, etc

I'm looking for some philosophy books to help me become a better person, learn deal with problems better, etc.

My girlfriend of 5 years left me this week and is already straight on to someone new.

This is a reoccurring problem in my life. I have been with someone for 4 years, then 3 years again, then 4 years and then the most recent person of 5 years. All people unexpectedly leave after no major events or things to cause it to happen.

I sacrificed a lot of this person and have no friends at all anymore and I don't feel like crawling back to any of them when I am at this point in my life.

I was hoping people could suggest some philosophers and books that might help me out through this time and maybe help me learn to make sure it doesn't happen again. Maybe even change myself to get this most recent person back as they're very important to me and I care about them a lot, as cheesy as that might sound, I didn't feel that need to try get any of the others before her back as I do her.

Hope someone can suggest something to help.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4Y3Q7H2urto&list=PL9285D44ED7F7B18B
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

schopenhauer

From the gist I got of what he has said - It doesn't really make me feel much better to know I was left for someone else because I wasn't biologically the best "fit" for someone to have children with. Knowing someone else is preferred for any reason is kind of hurtful, it's not just the "love" part.

But, thank you. I have actually put him on the list of philosophers to look at regardless of my first impression.

Considering your a normie, my advice, while difficult for me, will be easy for you.

1. Do what she's doing, get back into the game, start making new friends at bars or wherever you normies go.
2. Obviously you're at fault here for these sudden break-ups, so you need to identify the problem and fix it.

Easy as pie.

But I've feel I've already given all I have to give in life because I've been with so many people, in so many serious relationships that lasted so long. I feel I've run out of love to give to anyone new. Also, I'm a shut in. A recluse. I don't like to go out anymore.

If I had to make any guesses, it would be because I don't have a real career job and perhaps for turning into more of a shut in, with her being the only one I'm really with at home. I'm not sure of anything else and I've tried to think about this. Hm.

Thanks for your advice it's very much appreciated.

Diary

listen to this entire playlist

youtube.com/watch?v=4Y3Q7H2urto&list=PL9285D44ED7F7B18B

you will not be the same person. Listen to two minutes of it and you'll begin.

I'll have a listen, thanks

Seneca's Letters

>My girlfriend of 5 years left me this week and is already straight on to someone new.
Here is something you need to realize: women are subtle and underhanded when it comes to breaking. A woman will be unhappy with a relationship and instead of simply telling the man she is with and talking about things, she will forsake the relationship; start treating him differently yet say nothing is wrong; start looking for another guy; complain to her friends about you. The woman does these things because she is afraid to be alone and wants to be the one in control of the breakup.

I've had this happen before and I've seen it happy many times. Women don't really "move on" right after breaking up with a guy; they're simply broken up with you in their mind already and have been talking to someone else for awhile.

You need to realize this and learn to spot it since it has happened several times.

And what are you supposed to do when you spot this behavior if you want to salvage things, in your opinion?

Because I imagine if I spot it and bring it up (because I want to fix issues rather than destroy everything I've invested years in) that they will use it as an excuse to complain about me not giving enough space, being paranoid or something along those lines rather than admitting the truth and trying to fix the problem.

Go back to redd!t, normie.

>normie

You aren't on /r9k/, loser.

I've never reddit to be honest. The reason I asked this question on Veeky Forums instead of anywhere else is because I've been here since 2006.

Maybe you should go there for the first time, then. You'll fit right in.

I think you need to have the self-respect and awareness to realize that any person who would act as malevolently as that isn't worth being with. This knowledge just gives you the advantage of being able to break up with her and make things easier, knowing you hurt her just as much.

Not a philosophy book, but The Kreutzer Sonata.

Dude, I mean, if it isn't the first time this has happened then you should be accustomed by now. My ex broke up with me after 7 years and started immediately dating another guy so I know, kind of, what you are feeling right now. Back then I immersed myself in reading a lot of shit, from Marcus Aurelius, to Seneca, to Camus, to Sartre and so on, but i don't actually know if that helped me or just made the pain I felt linger on. Read those guys, but also do sports and go out with friends. That's my advice.

You have two options left: become a shut-in, or, anything else.

What seems like the better option?

>Caring about human relationships/being a 'better person'

Sounds like you've got a problem with some spooks.

Read Boethius and some Neoplatonists and you'll realise your life was shit in the first place and that true happiness cannot be found in earthly pleasures.

Use this struggle as an opportunity for unity with God.

Lol not op here, but when I had my breakup I actually read Boethius which helped me a lot and i tattooed a reference to his book.

>t. Ignatius J. Reilly

Montaigne's essays are always comforting in their understanding and humbling in their perception of human failings. The humanists in general are good guides for the "becoming a better person" journey. Also Dante and Boccaccio. Throw some Shakespeare in there for fun.

your gf was probably emotionally bored with you and she craved emotional excitement in a relationship. when was the last time you took her out on a grand date and finished the day with some abusive doggystyle sex? exactly.

kek

What did you mean by this

h