I'm considering joining a book club. They want to read pic related

I'm considering joining a book club. They want to read pic related.
How bad it is?

Not bad at all, if you're eleven.

Its a childrens book, like not even young adult, 12 year old stuff. Its not bad but I literally read it when I was 10.

Abort.

Assuming you're not bullshitting (which you probably are) it's probably one of the only YA books I remember reading when I was a kid, its imaginative and kind of funny at times from what I remember. There's much worse shit for kids to read than Colfer but unless you're 9-12 I don't really see why you'd want to read them. Also saw him on The Late Late Show here in Ireland a couple years ago, bearing in mind most authors aren't social butterflies he was a weird dude.

Decent kid book, but not the kind that has enough charm or underlying value to be read again in adulthood

Agree with the above. Unless this is a book club for kids, reading YA novels, even if they're okay YA novels, shows that the club is not the place for any serious discussion of literature.

>Assuming you're not bullshitting (which you probably are)
I'm not.

>Unless this is a book club for kids
Age range goes from late teens to late 20's.The guy who recommended the book teaches history in high school.

I think they don't read only children's book though. There was a poll to pick the book to read next january, and this one won against Siddharta (33 to 22).

>There was a poll to pick the book to read next january, and this one won against Siddharta (33 to 22).

This is why democracy fails

This is what happens when you join a book club with women in it.

>Picking Artemis Fowl over Hermann Hesse

I'd shop around for a new club unless you're just in it for the social aspect. I've read Artemis Fowl when I was younger, it's not bad as far as it's genre and target audience goes, but I have no idea how you'd have serious discussion of it. Still, the fact that Siddhartha was even considered shows that this club has a few people with better taste. Maybe wait and see what they pick next month to make up your mind.

>I'd shop around for a new club unless you're just in it for the social aspect.
There aren't many book clubs where I live.

>Maybe wait and see what they pick next month to make up your mind.
I think Siddharta comes next month. I've read the book five or six years ago. I might show up to the reunion.
Last month they read Asimov short stories.

>and this one won against Siddharta (33 to 22).

jesus h christ on a fucking bike

You know I'd recommend you stick it out. A sizeable minority did at least choose Siddartha so there may be redeemable company

Book is shorter than Harry Potter. Should take like 1 hour to read. Read it and go and try to socialize.

Is it a weekly book club? They are picking short af books.

Please tell me you don't have more than a week to read Artemis Fowl....

I really enjoyed it as a kid. I re-read it a few years back and it seemed to hold up reasonably well. This is to say that it's not entirely devoid of merit, and worth a read of you have an hour to kill.

Asimov's not a bad choice. I'd go to at least one discussion session, to see if people have interesting/educated opinions, or if it's totally pleb-tier.

>Should take like 1 hour to read.

>Is it a weekly book club?
monthly

kek

btw i've taken a hiatus from Veeky Forums, update me on the bloom, did darkness fall yet

i wouldn't join that book club

>late teens to late 20s
>1 month to read Artemis Fowl

Pretty confident this is all bait.

The book is ok from what I remember, I guess. Might as well stick it out and try to get laid with a nasty book club slut.

I said it before.This is not bait.

Well that could say anything.

If you're not bullshitting and you're taking these people seriously and you're not ten don't participate in that plebitude

>af

Kill yourself

y u mad tho?

I don't think they decided to give 1 month for this book in particular. They have had 1 month for each book.

Agreed with the previous posts. I really enjoyed it when I was younger, between like 10-14. It's still entertaining, but it's definitely a young adult book.

I know Eoin Colfer personally, hes a sound shkin. That said, Artemis Fowl is a literal kids book. Like not YA, it's actually for childers. It's a great kid's book but it's for like 10 year olds.

>There was a poll to pick the book to read next january, and this one won against Siddharta (33 to 22).
Fuck's sake. Jesus Cunting Christ.

> Shkin
>A good or otherwise decent looking female one may try and hook up with sober or not.
>Dylan: Check out that dark haird shkin over there at the bar, she is top notch!
>Garrett: Oh, definetly she is a grade A shkin. I may have to get at that.

>Shkin, Paktika
>Shkin (Pashto: شکين) is a scattered village in Gomal District, Paktika Province, Afghanistan located about a kilometer west of the newer, much larger, and border-straddling village and bazaar of Angur Ada.

it just means a person but it's only used in certain contexts and is local to the west of Ireland. "sound shkin" is basically an amicable fellow

>muh feels

Alright. Unlike most of the people replying, I've actually read Siddhartha and can tell you firsthand that it's no better than any YA turd.

I literally read the first Artemis Fowl book on the bus ride home from the school book fair...

Aren't you a little old to be going to elementary school book fairs?

>given one month to read a YA novel
I know that seems a bit excessive for many here but I'm a slow reader (on the order of 1 chapter a day comfortably) since I like to space things out. Plus I have other hobbies and work to do.

>it's no better than any YA turd.
you haven't read siddhartha

It's a kids book, why are you joining a kids' book club?

Where else is he going to hit on 9 year olds?

It's not hard to read 100 pages a day. It seems you just aren't interested in the books you're reading.

on the contrary, I force myself to not read more than a single chapter because I want something to look forward to the next day

otherwise I might keep reading and hit a boring spot then not pick up the book for several months, which happened way too often in the past

Also, I read multiple books at a time for entertainment in addition to playing vidya and reading manga

those niggas are dumb

It's good for kiddies. They eat that shit up like candy.