Raskolnivok yearns to be something greater, feels inadequate with his own existence

>raskolnivok yearns to be something greater, feels inadequate with his own existence
>he's the protagonist of arguably one of the greatest novels of all time

What did Dostoevsky mean by this irony?

He wished he was the protagonist of The Idiot but became the protagonist of Crime and Punishment?

Shut the fuck up

made me think and brightened my day

thanks lad

No problem, friend.

>tfw you will never beat a horse

Is there any evidence that dostoevsky was actually pomo enough to do that intentinally? It'd imply he knew his novel was going to be huge, would he be conscious of that while he wrote it?
It's something I never considered before op

They don't call Fyodor one of the greats for nothing, bud.

Bump

Reminder that S&P ends with Raskolnikov being ideologically cucked by Catholicism and a blatant biblical prostitute allegory because Dosteovsky was afraid of getting thrown in prison for his spicy opinions again

Such is life in Russia

Since: it exists

>S&P
You mean C&P?

How the fuck the russians managed to have such great literature when their authors have been censored by all the fucking regimes they have had?

If you aren't willing to die for what you stand behind our write about, you'll never make it.

Easy to say that when you live in america buddy

Nice prejudice. I live in Bosnia, a country always having heated ethic conflict and starting wars every 50 years or so.

2deep4me

You're right, tho.

There must've been something in the fucking water in 19th century Russia to produce so many iconic and brilliant writers, especially in that Tsarist autocratic hellhole of a political system.

>19th century Russia to produce so many iconic and brilliant writers

i wanna get into russians. i only know nabokov, dosto, and tolstoy. any one else?

also great circumstances give rise to great men i guess

You mean Eastern Orthodoxy?

Reminder that Dostoevsky wasn't catholic because he's fucking russian

Pushkin and Lermontov are fantastic

Read A Hero Of Our Time (Lermontov) IMO Parker and Nabokov's translations aren't all that different so it doesn't really matter which one you get.

>Catholicism
>In Russia

>nabokov
nabokov is way more western than russian. tolstoy was a fucking count, so he rubbed elbows with the highest russian nobility—authentically russian.

in his 20s, dostoyevsky was captured as part of a police crackdown on his subversive literature ring. they drug him and his compadres to the middle of a square, tied them up to posts, blindfolded them, and were going to shoot them. a "last-minute" stay of execution was granted by a breathless messenger [the whole thing was a mock execution, a set-up] and he was sent to siberian exile for 7 years or so. doesn't get more russian than that.

if anything, you should be reading turgenev's "fathers and children," since he and tolstoy almost came to a duel over literary talent. (turgenev had fresher, hotter takes at the time and dissed tolstoy, but was later laudatory).

bulgakov has some scathing critiques of atheistic russia, and daniil kharms has some absurdist deadpan satire (short stories and poems) from this time as well. also worth checking out is the poet mayakovsky, who is equally absurd. there are some other great 20th century short story writers and poets; i could look them up if you're interested.

of course, this has to conclude with praise of gogol and chekov. read gogol's "the nose" and chekov's "the bear" for entry-level stuff. side note: i never got into pushkin. don't know why.

if you like film, i have some top-tier esoterica to show off. really underground art house mind fuck shit, as well as prosaic flicks.

>in his 20s, dostoyevsky was captured as part of a police crackdown on his subversive literature ring. they drug him and his compadres to the middle of a square, tied them up to posts, blindfolded them, and were going to shoot them. a "last-minute" stay of execution was granted by a breathless messenger [the whole thing was a mock execution, a set-up] and he was sent to siberian exile for 7 years or so.

holy shit dosto had a hard life

At least 2 people got the joke, that's good

yeah, and i didn't even include the near-constant seizures or the exact details of his exile. IIRC, he saved a fellow writer from killing himself with empathic listening and reassurances in siberia.

i can't remember exactly, but i think he was actually in chains the entire time (years!) he was in siberia, and he was only allowed to read the new testament.

the best thing about him is that he was truly able to transmute all of his unfortunate circumstances and personal failings into great literature. for instance: he was a horrible drinker and gambler for a time later in life (wouldn't you be?) and wrote successfully about these characters in his prose. the ability to descend into darkness and detach while still retaining emotional sensibility is extraordinarily rare desu.

the guy who wrote Oblomov

what's the joke?

A-aco?

I fucking knew you visited lit

Are you from Pale/Sarajevo?

>tfw I will never murder two old hags with an axe

wow, novels must be really awful