Do you count listening to an audiobook as having read the book?

Do you count listening to an audiobook as having read the book?

No.

But of course.

absolutely not.

Of course not.

Yes.

You saw this in the thread about Reddit and thought to shit up Veeky Forums.

I count it as listening to a book

listen =/= read

Learn how to english

When i listen to a book, I get engaged - I yell at the protagonist, I mimic character movements being described.
I don't have this level of engagement when I actually read a book.
I vote yes - it counts.

I count reading song lyrics as having listened to music.

I don't count.

When i listen to a book, I get engaged - I yell at the protagonist, I mimic character movements being described.
I don't have this level of engagement when I actually read a book.
I vote yes - it counts.

It doesn't count and this is why:

Watching someone play a video game, doesn't mean you played the video game.

Listening to someone sing a song, doesn't mean you sang the song.

Watching some team win the world cup, doesn't mean you won the world cup.

says who? i make it my property.

Reeeeeee

This question would only matter to you if you consider reading a book to be an add-on for your personality because you wanna appear interesting; and you gotta worry about what form of consumption "counts."

Some people though actually just care about the content because they enjoy it. And in that sense, it doesn't matter whether they've read or listened to it.

Don't be a faggot. If it counts to you, it counts. What's it matter what a bunch of internet strangers say?
/thread

Yes. Why wouldn't it? So long as the person reading it does a decent job enforcing the atmosphere with their tone of voice appropriately, I don't see why it wouldnt.

You are still processing the contents of the book, and might even appreciate it more if you are biased towards your auditory senses.

Hell no

> Why wouldn't it?

Reading and listening are two different things.

Holy.. this is genius

>listening to someone read a book doesn't mean you wrote the book

you process the information differently. while im not going to look down on anyone utilizing audiobooks, i cant in good conscience say that thats reading.

then why does Veeky Forums and /v/ shit on "genre fiction" ?

He fucked up with the world-cup analogy. I wish he didn't so I could trash you.

Playing a video game =/= developing a video game
Singing =/= writing a song

Veeky Forums is for readers of high-brow literature. Of course we'll trash genre-fiction. Those who'd defend it are chased away the instant they see what kind of books are discussed here.

I'd rather have it this way as most forums dealing with heavier reads are over-moderated/"too formal", and "literature general" forums are truly plebtier (e.g /r/books). Sadly, there's no middle-ground.

Of course it counts.

You think the Odyssey, the Iliad, the Greek plays, and all of Shakespeare's plays were meant to be read in a dusty old book? Absolutely fucking not.

When i write this post, you read it. You understand my words. You reply to my post and we have a dialogue. It just so happens our communication is via text. If we were stood face to face speaking these words out loud to each other, in what way would the conversation be any different? Hearing someone say words or reading the words to yourself are the same experience in terms of communication. Perhaps you like the smell of a book or the atmosphere of your surroundings when reading, but the content is exactly the same.

Being against audiobooks makes you look hella pseud

As long as you weren't skydiving and karate fighting and reading a magazine while listening then yes. It's ridiculous to think someone didn't absorb as much as you did based on the fact that they were experiencing it differently.
If you miss something in a book you look back.
If you miss something in an audiobook you rewind.
If you're distracted while reading a book you will miss some things.
If you're distracted while listening to an audiobook you will miss some things.

Does oral tradition pass off as literature?

Yes, obviously.

But I don't listen to audiobooks.
Man, Shakespeare must suck for you.
But you're not listening to someone read the book you autist. You're listening to the book, as read aloud by some faggot.

What if we use a computer program to listen to a book? Is that not reading it?
>but the program reads the book first!
Okay; now what if we read it on a computer? Because there, too, the program reads the book first, and reproduces it on a screen.

No, you listened to an audiobook. That's not reading.

>You think the Odyssey, the Iliad, the Greek plays, and all of Shakespeare's plays were meant to be read in a dusty old book?

That has absolutely nothing to do with the question. If you go to view one of Shakespeare's songs or listen to Homer's recitations of the Iliad or Odyssey you're listening to the words as opposed to reading them. It's idiotic to pretend to yourself that because you've gone to see Shakespeare on stage that you've somehow sat down and read the play. It certainly counts as having interacted with the work in some way (intended by the author or not), but it's not reading. It's not even something that's up for debate either, there seem to be a lot of silly people in this thread that don't understand that there's a difference between reading and listening to things.

Yes it is, unless you're being autistic, of course.

/thread

>Listening is the same activity as reading, unless you're autistic and can recognize the difference between the two

So youre autistic? I guess audiobooks always did seem like the thing the "special" classroom would only use

Anyone who thinks Audiobooks are "cheating" is a special snowflake who reads books he doesn't like because he wants to feel smart.

>counting books

Oral tradition stopped being relevant 500 years back

Audiobooks only count if it's poetry

The book is just a delivery mechanism for the information written in it. Having it read to you doesn't change this.

I still disagree with OP just linguistically, of course you haven't read the book. But as long as you were paying attention, 8 times out of 10 it's just as good, 1 time out of 10 it's better, and 1 time out of 10 it's worse.

Except modernist poetry. Then it would sound just like prose with awkward pauses

Say what you will about audiobooks. I can't properly enjoy a book unless I have smelled it enough

Kek. Books age like wine, I heard somewhere

I only listen to nonfiction audiobooks. I cant think fast enough if it's fiction.

I listened to Beyond Good and Evil and Twilight of the Idols during my commute for a few weeks, and it was a good experience. I listened to several other things as well, but something about listening to the reader, who did a good Nietzsche, enumerating his points as I made my way to work really fit.

I would still choose to read the book itself over listening to it under normal circumstances though.

Inability to detect when people are not being literal is a sure sign of autism, user.