Which state of Mexico has the best cuisine?

Which state of Mexico has the best cuisine?

I think this one is bigger

Fucking google is doing this compression shit to ALL THE MAPS. 10X Harder to find a legible one now.

It was my fault, I accidentally downloaded the thumbnail. This one is much bigger

and now that I see the big version of the map, I realize it's filled with fucking typos

God tier:
Oaxaca, Puebla, Mexico, DF, Morelos, Guerrero
Top tier:
Chiapas, QRO, Michoacan, Guanajuato, Yucatan, Campeche, Queretaro, Tlaxcala
Low tier: Jalisco
Shit tier: All the states along the US border plus BC Sur, Sinaloa, Durango, Zacatecas, SLP
Who gives a shit tier: Anything I forgot to list because it doesn't matter

Also when will this fad end

Texas

So this must mean NYC is god tier for Mexican food in the US

Haven't had much Mexican cuisine but Oaxacan is quite good. I'm trying to make a good mole myself but it hasn't compared to the ones I've had from there.

What are Chiapas and Campeche like in particular?

I wouldn't have said so 15 years ago, but things are getting dangerously close to acceptable

Still, I won't be happy until literally every street corner has a place selling conchas baked on site by Mexican abuelitas

Campeche is heavily seafood based

Chiapas is what people imagine when they imagine "indigenous", simple and unpretentious but with "exotic" ingredients

I'll be happy once we have more variety. There's a lot of great stuff, but overall the restaurants seem a little repetetive (but still very good).

Does Campeche have similar cuisine as Guatemala since they border each other?

And does that mean Chiapas makes use of a lot of indigenous vegetables?

Variety will only come with volume

It might seem like there are a lot of Mexicans here but there really aren't, it's just that before there were practically none and something is a big change from nothing

We're just crawling out of that horrible time when all Mexican food in the city was made with expired ingredients and required a 2 mile subway ride to get to

>2 hour
Is what I meant to say

There are 500,000+ Mexicans in NYC, that's more people than the entire population of New Orleans

oh and every borough except for maybe Manhattan has at least a few neighborhoods that have so many Mexicans that it's like being in LA

puebla or oaxaca

Yeah and guess what, the vast majority of them are still quite poor and living on the fringes

You need a certain amount of leisure time and willingness to spend money on unnecessary things before an ethnic population can start having a thriving high quality restaurant scene catering to their tastes

We're still some years away from that in NYC

Poor yes, fringes, not really. Western Queens is by no means the fringes of NYC, for instance.

And yeah I think it's just that the scene hasn't had enough time to mature yet, and since NYC is not yet saturated with Mexican restaurants, the owners for now can get away with repetitive menus.

And the average Nuyogringo still probably thinks Mexican food is giant burritos stuffed with rice.

chevy's

I would like to see a list of Mexican restaurants in NYC that do stuff other than the usual Puebla/DF antojitos.

>Poor yes, fringes, not really. Western Queens is by no means the fringes of NYC, for instance.
I mean the fringes of society. As in they are working menial jobs, off the books, they are often living under informal sublets and illegal basement apartments, and the restaurants that cater to them are no-frills joints where you're lucky to get lettuce that isn't turning slightly brown.

I realize you've never been somewhere with well-off Mexicans before, but "filthy and grim" is not an inherent characteristic of Mexican dining. The fact that a joint like La Morada is such a shock to people is that they never thought Mexican food could involve painstaking preparation and be served in a comfortable, thoughtfully planned environment. Let alone Cosme.

Chiapas is more like Guatemala food

Oaxaca is a meme.
The best food comes out of michoacan.

>Mexico, DF, Morelos, Guerrero
name 1 good thing from these shitholes

I haven't found the Mexican places I've been to be filthy and grim, just a little no frillsy.

And yeah I understand that currently, most Mexican places are there to serve antojitos to lower income Mexicans, but in theory a place doesn't have to be expensive to provide a more regional menu a la La Morada. La Morada is not particularly expensive.

How can a province be a 'meme'?
Explain yourself.

Depends what youre looking for
I dont know much about regional foods but i know that jalisco makea some pretty good birria
And theres a coupkw different ways to make birria. My favorite is baked and a lil roasted with the consome and chile on the side

Al Pastor?

Baja North and South, Tamaulipas, Yucatan, Oaxaca, and Jalisco.

It's kind of depressing to think of those grim and awful places that used to be the only game in town as serving "antojitos" considering the root word means "craving" and I hope I'm never so hard up that I crave something like that.

And a place like La Morada spends on niche stuff like a wide variety of chiles, various seeds and herbs, and so on. You can spend $20 on a meal there. To a guy working an office job it's not expensive, but to someone working illegally and sending remittances back home, that's insane if you can just get some gross tacos for $5, assuming you're even willing to blow $5 on gross tacos unless you're at a construction site and have no choice.

Even the taco trucks in NYC aren't that cheap, though. At 2.50-3.00 per taco, you can easily spend over 10 dollars if you're hungry.

I wonder what the clientele there is as of now.

I'm guessing you've been there? What dishes have you tried?

And while Mexicans in NYC tend to be poor, they're not extremely poor to the point they can't do anything but work, Mexican dudes like to unwind and go to bars and stuff.

*"there meaning La Morada

The clientele where? Morada? Mostly white anglos, a few random black people and someone who sounded Puerto Rican

As far as unwinding goes, yeah, they go to bars and drink cheap beer to unwind, but they are not gossiping over whether the cemitas at tepyac are just like the ones from back home like a couple of little white foodie girls. They're slamming caguamas and who knows what, grousing about subway fares or something. Foodie bullshit is not on their agenda, which is purely speculation on my part but well supported by the fact that the overwhelming majority of Mexican restaurants are grubby, cheap, and depressing

Most businesses in NYC that aren't getting white people dollars kinda that description. NYC rents are extremely expensive, so things like decorations are low on their agenda for now.

And while they're likely not foodies, I'm sure they have their preferences. Which is why the El Bronco cart in Sunset Park has a long ass line even at 2AM on a Sunday night.

But I bet we'll see even more improvement as time goes on.

epic
but also good answer

Except the ones getting Korean immigrant dollars, Chinese immigrant dollars, Indian immigrant dollars, Dominican immigrant dollars, Brazilian immigrant dollars Dollars, Sri Lankan immigrant dollars, Malaysian immigrant dollars... yeah those don't really count, a restaurant only exists if white people go there. Pic related, it's you, putting the benighted brown people of the outer boroughs on the map. What would they do without you?

California has the best Mexican food. The burrito was invented there when the Spics discovered the joy of flour tortillas over shitty corn tortillas.

Texas and California.

>What would they do without you?

Go back to their shitty brown nations?

What do Oaxaca and Puebla have other than mole, tamales, and corrupt government officials?
t. person who's never been south of Mexico City

No, most of those restaurants tend to be similarly run down looking if they're not getting yuppybux.

Corn tortilla is better, fag

You should really try to get out of your bubble of Manhattan between Houston and 14th Street some time. Despite the reputation, there are places where real people eat that aren't run down and full of poor people.

I'm sure there are places like that, and I would say the same for Mexican restaurants. But the average immigrant run business, whether it be run by Chinese, Mexicans, Arabs, Pakistanis, etc. is not going to look super nice by yuppie standards.

Probably the current state of Mexico because it's complete shit.
Build that wall.

stupid comment

Hi /pol/tard. You have to go back.

>is not going to look super nice by yuppie standards
And here we go with the vaguely racist hair splitting

I'm not looking for a fucking biodynamic wine list and a fullt-time onsite pastry chef, just a clean table, any raw vegetables should not be obviously on the verge of going bad, and there should be at least some evidence that the proprietors take pride in the food

This is not something white people have a monopoly on, your prejudices notwithstanding

It's not a race thing, I'm just saying that someone who's lived a middle or upper class lifestyle is more likely to split hairs over the decor.

But these hall in the wall places are usually clean even if not well decorated, they usually have A ratings in their windows.

>I'm just saying that someone who's lived a middle or upper class lifestyle is more likely to split hairs over the decor.
Right, or even a stable lower middle class lifestyle. But in any case being part of the class system is a prerequisite. Currently, Mexicans in the city barely count because they are such a new community. Hence why the Mexican joints have historically been pretty gross.

And I am not talking about the letter ratings, the system is extremely corrupt and those cannot be taken seriously.

Honestly I haven't found the places I've been to to be dirty even if the place wasn't fancy looking.

And they're relatively new, but the oldest New York born Mexicans are now college aged so I wouldn't say they're that new.

That didn't refute his comment in any way, sunshine.

>And here we go with the

...blatant attempt to justify 3rd world filth and poor food handling standards by accusing anyone that points it out of being a "racist".

Your playbook is old and useless.

Like the boy crying "wolf", you've all cried "racist" too many times, and now nobody gives a fuck.

BCS, Baja California Sur... seafood from the Gulf of California cannot be beat...

I love it how I'm the one calling Mexican restaurants filthy and the confused neo-nazi here is the one getting triggered

Don't worry cleetus, the PC police aren't going to lock you up. Yet...

So what did you get from La Morada and how was it? Have you ever been to the Mexicocina?

The State of Decapitate.

Oaxaca

I'm from Durango and yes, it's garbage. Slightly modified versions of food from other northern states. The only good thing are local cheeses and mezcal.

>Puebla
Chiles en nogada, cemitas, mole poblano.

>Oaxaca
Mole, various kinds of meats like tasajo, chorizo and cecina. Also insects lmao

Mole, of course. Oaxaqeña. Was great.

Haven't made it to Mexicocina yet. Soon.

TIL Mexicans eat disgusting little hairy moles. I knew about the dead dog tacos, but this is even more disgusting.

The bones are small tho

Like ortolan but spicy

They have so many moles I wanna try, as well as the Molcajete. How would you describe the flavor of the Oaxqueno?

California.

Yucatan, Poc Chuc is fucking awesome

i wish there were mexican people where i live. all we have is fuck tonnes of salvadoreans and bolivians.

don't get me wrong, i love bolivian food, but mexican food seems really nice.

I lived in Queretaro for 3 years and hated most of the food served there, their barbacoa is way too fucking greasy.

@8911615
Not even worth a (You)

Too many cheeseburger restaurants. Wouldn't even consider it in a top 50.

I agree with this post most.

only been to Oaxaca and the food was fucking good, don't know about anywhere else

Baja, the tacos are to die for. They also have very fresh seafood.

Texas has the worst Mexican food there. Also Mexican restaurants in Texas are a joke, you got Cubans, Puerto Ricans, and Guatemalans opening up Mexican restaurants and fucking it up. Who the fuck puts celery in salsa and makes enchiladas with flour tortillas. I am sorry but that is a huge NO in Mexican cuisine.

Go to Rosarito in Baja California. There are beautiful beaches and really good seafood restaurants. I tried swordfish there and it tasted like heaven. There also have good bars there that are friendly towards tourists.

Pozole Blanco

It sounds like you live in the DC area. I think there's a decent amount of Mexicans in Northern Virginia.

I'm not sure why those groups would open Mexican restaurants since Mexicans are by far the biggest Hispanic group in Texas.

>Not starting the day with egg & chorizo flour tacos
>Not having half-assed "crepe" made by what essentially is a cajeta flour taco

Step it up, sempai.

But everything in Texas is a joke

metamodernism
Flour tortillas were introduced to mexican cuisine by jews and lebanese, you dip
Most definitively, Michoacan has the best food, but the Northern states have the best meat.

I'm going to Queretaro next month. Recommendations?

mexico has states? i thought it was just mexico. huh. who knew.

The answer is whichever one invented dang qua-suh-dillers

It's nothing but American retirees, skip it

Don't listen to his lies, the Americans are in San Miguel.
Queretaro has a blossoming wine and cheese culture, especially around Tequisquiapan. There's good food around peña de Bernal.
In the capital there is a good Yucatecan restaurant called "El 9". Lots of places to eat downtown, if it looks crowded it's probably worth a look.
If you're interested in cantinas that serve free snacks with your drinks, I'd say the best are "chava invita", "el mayor", and "el luchador".

San Miguel, Queretaro, same shit

If I can't see Popocatepetl from the roof I'm not eating there

Which state has the best tacos?

It's literally called The United States of Mexico.

Jesus Christ..

Well, I'm an American, so I suppose I won't mind that much. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be sure to check at least one or two of them out.

Over 80% of Americans spend an hour or more each day on Facebook

11% of Americans can spell "camouflage" correctly without using spell check

15% have a passport but only 3% have used it in the last 5 years

San Luis Potosi

yeah, and North Korea is technically called the Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea, but that doesn't make it a democracy

>11% of Americans can spell "camouflage" correctly without using spell check
I'm part of that 11%. I'm awful at spelling, would have missed the u.

>All those "God tier" actually love to eat bugs and insects

Yeah no thanks

>God tier
>DF
pick one

Mexico is a very vast and complex country (in terms of multiculturalism, we've been dealing with it since we were part of the Spanish Empire). Now, if you do have time to travel around, I recommend going for street food. I like Mexico City because you can find everything. From Oaxaca's Tlayudas, to Puebla's Semitas and even Hidalgo's finest Barbacoa.

Whoever invented dorilocos.